Sacrament Meeting Teachings....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

The Nehor wrote:Nehor's Rules of Sacrament Talking (A plea from the Congregation)...

Nehor,

(Seriously - My dry humor and typical sarcasm aside)

If I knew you before opting out I would have considered us kindred spirits. Very well said. This was my philosophy as well as my convictions for many years.

Now, I dare you to give your next talk about these points and tie them into the atonement. As you know, it is not a stretch at all. Each of your points are well founded in scripture (I double dog dare you to be the last speaker on the program).

The fact of the matter is that you're about to embarrass nearly everyone in the congregation that has spoken or has prepared a talk for their youngster in sacrament meeting - including the bishop, stake rep or even stake president on occasion.

You could make a difference but I venture that you won't do it. And I agree it's not because you're chicken, but I do believe in my heart that they will crucify the messenger.

So you ask yourself, "Why do I have this understanding? What makes me that different from so many others? Why am I entitled to such understanding?"

Surely you are not more inspired than your leaders?

How do you account for this?
_Maxrep
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxrep »

Nehor,

Agreed, good guidelines for talks!
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

TD,

When in Rome do as the Romans.

When in the Mormon chapel, do as chapel Mormons.

What did you expect and what evil spirit possessed you and not only dragged you there, but made you sit through that?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Inconceivable wrote:
The Nehor wrote:Nehor's Rules of Sacrament Talking (A plea from the Congregation)...

Nehor,

(Seriously - My dry humor and typical sarcasm aside)

If I knew you before opting out I would have considered us kindred spirits. Very well said. This was my philosophy as well as my convictions for many years.

Now, I dare you to give your next talk about these points and tie them into the atonement. As you know, it is not a stretch at all. Each of your points are well founded in scripture (I double dog dare you to be the last speaker on the program).

The fact of the matter is that you're about to embarrass nearly everyone in the congregation that has spoken or has prepared a talk for their youngster in sacrament meeting - including the bishop, stake rep or even stake president on occasion.

You could make a difference but I venture that you won't do it. And I agree it's not because you're chicken, but I do believe in my heart that they will crucify the messenger.

So you ask yourself, "Why do I have this understanding? What makes me that different from so many others? Why am I entitled to such understanding?"

Surely you are not more inspired than your leaders?

How do you account for this?

Well, there's a few reasons I won't do it. I gave a talk on how to give talks before (when I was 15 and had no clue) and I've never once been asked to speak on the same topic twice. I was actually known in my last ward for giving talks on difficult things and being very kind while doing so. More than once someone said, "That's what I needed to hear" afterwards. I haven't given nearly as many in this ward and I've been given more general topics.

I have heard a Bishop give a combined Priesthood/Relief Society Lesson about 5 years ago where he talked about the level of spirituality and how to teach when giving talks and lessons. He was very blunt and very kind. Some people were offended. Hopefully they got over it.

I'm not that different from others either. It could be where I live. I've done some traveling and I think the Church is stronger here than anywhere I've been with the possible exception of a few wards in Northern Wales. I don't mean in terms of numbers. The active members of the ward here mostly seem to get it. I grew up in an environment where my teenage member friends and I would discuss the Gospel together. Two nights ago I had 4 girls over to my apartment. We watched a movie and then played a game and then discussed a great talk from Sacrament Meeting with a lively discussion (and then moved on to who was dating who). Most of the stories people tell here about what went wrong in Church I can't relate to.

I do have some understandings that some people don't. Part of it is the Gifts of the Spirit I was given. They don't seem impressive to me because I've always lived with them. One of the most eye-opening experiences was when a friend of mine who had gifts and powers that I thought far exceeded mine told me he was envious of mine. Really drove home Paul's teachings on various parts of the Body of Christ having different roles and not to want to lop off others. While I don't agree with Nephi on his Universalism I have begun to accept that most people have a different path to walk than mine within the Gospel. Everyone has to come into conformity with God in their own way.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The talks in our Sacrament Meeting today were on the importance of giving service to help others. This was a true spiritual message. It inspired me.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Nehor, I can identify with what you are relating.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Inconceivable wrote:Nehor, I can identify with what you are relating.

Thanks.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Porter...

When in Rome do as the Romans.

Yep!

When in the Mormon chapel, do as chapel Mormons.

Sort of! ;-)

What did you expect

I expected exactly what I heard. (smile)! I was just demonstrating how what people testify to, and believe they have received a witness to, can be completely wrong and untrue. (I think this is the beginning of a poem)!

and what evil spirit possessed you and not only dragged you there, but made you sit through that?

Well, I was actually sitting in foyer (the chapel was full and they don't open the overflow), descretely reading, "The Flat Earth" by Thomas Friedman but this talk caught my attention because it was just filled, nay overflowing with wrong teachings. And, taught by one who spoke as a GA, who is considered a leader in this area.

I'm pretty sure he broke every one of Nehor's rules! LOL!

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj