Joseph Smith and Racism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

I seem to recall some pro-slavery articles being published in the prophet's name during the Missouri period to pacify the Mormons' neighbors, but there was some doubt as to whether he had actually written them. I think this was discussed in Brodie; no doubt later authors have discussed it at greater length?

More of why I think the Priesthood Ban was a policy created outside of revelation.

Do you think the Book of Abraham was created outside of revelation? Just curious. Slavery and the priesthood ban are not necessarily the same thing. Joseph Smith might promote one but not the other.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

CaliforniaKid wrote:I seem to recall some pro-slavery articles being published in the prophet's name during the Missouri period to pacify the Mormons' neighbors, but there was some doubt as to whether he had actually written them. I think this was discussed in Brodie; no doubt later authors have discussed it at greater length?

More of why I think the Priesthood Ban was a policy created outside of revelation.

Do you think the Book of Abraham was created outside of revelation? Just curious. Slavery and the priesthood ban are not necessarily the same thing. Joseph Smith might promote one but not the other.

I've read many of those. During the Missouri Period one of the fears was that the Mormons would lead a slave revolt or something to that effect. Most members of the Church at the time leaned towards being abolitionists in a state that prided itself on it's slave laws. Friction here was inevitable. Most of what I've read are promises not to incite slaves to riot or to teach them without their master's permission or to attempt to stir up discontent. This is not an attempt to defend slavery so much as a promise to uphold the law and to avoid conflicts with their neighbors.

Joseph seems to me from the whole of his writings to be anti-slavery but he wanted change to happen within the law. Elijah Abel is the best defense that I can come up with against Joseph supporting the ban. Either that or Joseph was blind as he had contact with him. Brigham Young barred him from the Endowment in Utah but kept him as a Seventy and he died serving a Mission. Not sure how Brigham worked that out.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mercury wrote:
moksha wrote:
AmazingDisgrace wrote:
I do not believe that the people of the North have any more right to say that the South shall not hold slaves, than the South have to say the North shall.... the first mention we have of slavery is found in the Holy Bible.... And so far from that prediction being averse to the mind of God, it [slavery] remains as a lasting monument of the decree of Jehovah, to the shame and confusion of all who have cried out against the South, in consequence of their holding the sons of Ham in servitude.

Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, v. 2, p. 438

Thirteenth - 'Are the Mormons abolitionists?' No, unless delivering the people from priestcraft, and the priests from the power of Satan, should be considered abolition. But we do not believe in setting the negroes free.

Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, v.3, p. 29

Could these quotes have been altered after the fact to agree with policies at that time? In other words, were they translated correctly?

If it agrees with your slanted view of Mormonism I guess its revelation in your mind. If it puts the church in a bad light its been modified, misquoted or manipulated.

That is not what I was asking or implying at all. If you must really cast all things Mormon in a bad light, take the quotes at face value - after all, someone wrote them and they were allowed to stand in a book on Church history. However, we do know that some things have been altered after the fact, and I am wondering if these are some of them.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace