Joseph Smith and Racism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Joseph Smith and Racism

Post by _The Nehor »

I've been doing some research on the Priesthood Ban and came up with a few words from the writings of Joseph Smith:

"I ever feel a double anxiety for the happiness of all men, both in time and in eternity, where the Declaration of Independence which states that we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; but at the same time some two or three million of our people are held as slaves for life, because the spirit in them is covered with a darker skin than ours. Government officers, who are nothing more nor less than the servants of the people, ought to be directed to ameliorate the condition of all, black or white, bond or free; for `God hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on the face of the earth.'

"'We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.' meant just what it said without reference to color or condition. Petition, also, ye goodly inhabitants of the slave states, your legislators to abolish slavery by the year 1850, or now, and save the abolitionist from reproach and ruin, infamy and shame. Pray Congress to pay every man a reasonable price for his slaves out of the surplus revenue arising from the sale of public lands, and from the deduction of pay from the members of Congress."

More of why I think the Priesthood Ban was a policy created outside of revelation.

Incidentally he also said that Congressmen should be paid no more than 'an honest farmer'. Good policy I think.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Smith and Racism

Post by _moksha »

The Nehor wrote:I've been doing some research on the Priesthood Ban and came up with a few words from the writings of Joseph Smith:

"I ever feel a double anxiety for the happiness of all men, both in time and in eternity, where the Declaration of Independence which states that we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; but at the same time some two or three million of our people are held as slaves for life, because the spirit in them is covered with a darker skin than ours. Government officers, who are nothing more nor less than the servants of the people, ought to be directed to ameliorate the condition of all, black or white, bond or free; for `God hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on the face of the earth.'

"'We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.' meant just what it said without reference to color or condition. Petition, also, ye goodly inhabitants of the slave states, your legislators to abolish slavery by the year 1850, or now, and save the abolitionist from reproach and ruin, infamy and shame. Pray Congress to pay every man a reasonable price for his slaves out of the surplus revenue arising from the sale of public lands, and from the deduction of pay from the members of Congress."

More of why I think the Priesthood Ban was a policy created outside of revelation.

A bad policy and outside of revelation. Thanks Nehor.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

This quote was another reason I once believed he was my hero. A hero I would have been willing to lay down my life for.

Most Mormons have no idea that this statement exists and that this was one of the legs of his platform for running for the presidency of the United States.

Martin Luther King had some very inspiring goals as well. Both were immoral in their personal lives. The difference between them was that one claimed to be a holy prophet - worthy to be God's chosen vessel and even endure His presence.

I can excuse neither of them. I am quick to point out to my children that neither are worthy role models though some things they may have influenced for good.

I can see why Brigham Young was certainly not Smith's choice for vice president. How could he possibly have been his choice for prophet of the church??? ..or even God's choice?
_AmazingDisgrace
_Emeritus

Post by _AmazingDisgrace »

Joseph Smith seems to have changed his mind on the subject. I don't have the dates handy for these quotes, but I'm guessing that these predate the abolitionist statement, if it was made during his campaign.

I do not believe that the people of the North have any more right to say that the South shall not hold slaves, than the South have to say the North shall.... the first mention we have of slavery is found in the Holy Bible.... And so far from that prediction being averse to the mind of God, it [slavery] remains as a lasting monument of the decree of Jehovah, to the shame and confusion of all who have cried out against the South, in consequence of their holding the sons of Ham in servitude.

Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, v. 2, p. 438

Thirteenth - 'Are the Mormons abolitionists?' No, unless delivering the people from priestcraft, and the priests from the power of Satan, should be considered abolition. But we do not believe in setting the negroes free.

Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, v.3, p. 29

This position makes perfect sense, considering that he esteemed a book that says, in essence, "go ahead and beat your slaves, and as long as they can get up and go back to work after two days, you haven't done anything wrong," to be the word of God.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on is a pie in the sky, chock full of lies, a tool we devise to make sinking stones fly"
The Shins - A Comet Appears
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

This seems like an a-ok thread to throw this in. Marvin hooked peeps up with this a while back (and I think I did a thread about it). I got an email from him Saturday stating that delivery for the DVDs should start Sept. 25th.

http://www.BlacksintheScriptures.com
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

Joseph was always on run from justice so when did he decide to care for truth, justice and the america way.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

AmazingDisgrace wrote:
I do not believe that the people of the North have any more right to say that the South shall not hold slaves, than the South have to say the North shall.... the first mention we have of slavery is found in the Holy Bible.... And so far from that prediction being averse to the mind of God, it [slavery] remains as a lasting monument of the decree of Jehovah, to the shame and confusion of all who have cried out against the South, in consequence of their holding the sons of Ham in servitude.

Thirteenth - 'Are the Mormons abolitionists?' No, unless delivering the people from priestcraft, and the priests from the power of Satan, should be considered abolition. But we do not believe in setting the negroes free.

Could these quotes have been altered after the fact to agree with policies at that time? In other words, were they translated correctly?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

moksha wrote:
AmazingDisgrace wrote:

Could these quotes have been altered after the fact to agree with policies at that time? In other words, were they translated correctly?

If it agrees with your slanted view of Mormonism I guess its revelation in your mind. If it puts the church in a bad light its been modified, misquoted or manipulated.

Your logic reminds me of the 911 truthers and other whack job conspiracy theorists who start with the conclusion they want and work back through the evidence, cherry picking what they like and assigning ulterior motives to the information that conflicts with their screwed up worldview.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:
moksha wrote:
AmazingDisgrace wrote:

If it agrees with your slanted view of Mormonism I guess its revelation in your mind. If it puts the church in a bad light its been modified, misquoted or manipulated.

Your logic reminds me of the 911 truthers and other whack job conspiracy theorists who start with the conclusion they want and work back through the evidence, cherry picking what they like and assigning ulterior motives to the information that conflicts with their screwed up worldview.

Or it could be that I've talked it over with God himself and came to this conclusion after much prayer. That would ruin your little theory though.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

The Nehor wrote:
Mercury wrote:
moksha wrote:
AmazingDisgrace wrote:

Or it could be that I've talked it over with God himself and came to this conclusion after much prayer. That would ruin your little theory though.

It would ruin my theory if I too had observed you talking with god. Since God does not exist there goes your "theory".
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning