Boys Cast out

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maxrep
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxrep »

Bond...James Bond wrote:It doesn't. Unless some fatal disease suddenly strikes a huge percentage of people with twigs and berries.

Do you mean farm type folk, with orchards and such? :)
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I think this is why polygamous societies are usually societies with a strong centralized power-figure who has the means to use the power of the state - or religion - to control dissatisfied men.

Also, I think the early church dealt with this problem by sending men on missions, who sometimes brought home wives with them. Or more females to choose from.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Maxrep wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:It doesn't. Unless some fatal disease suddenly strikes a huge percentage of people with twigs and berries.

Do you mean farm type folk, with orchards and such? :)

I thought he was talking of grocers with apples and bananas.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

The Nehor wrote:Polygamy works best in societies where you can count on a lot of your men dying off from war or attack.

There goes my hopes of a Celestial harem. ;)

Then again, there was that war in heaven . . .
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

beastie wrote:I think this is why polygamous societies are usually societies with a strong centralized power-figure who has the means to use the power of the state - or religion - to control dissatisfied men.

Also, I think the early church dealt with this problem by sending men on missions, who sometimes brought home wives with them. Or more females to choose from.

Yeah, according to Anti-Mormon tracts back in the 1800's Missionaries were only paid about 25-50 pence for British men but unmarried women could net you 5-10 quid each. Luckily for us transport was easy with our secret tunnel that went from Preston to Salt Lake City.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

The Nehor wrote:Polygamy works best in societies where you can count on a lot of your men dying off from war or attack.

I can see your point here.

Societies that are at constant war and constantly killing off the male population would be a good candidate for polygamy.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Scottie wrote:

I can see your point here.

Societies that are at constant war and constantly killing off the male population would be a good candidate for polygamy.

When the Utah War never really got off the ground we had to throw it out ;)
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Runtu wrote:
Maxrep wrote:Thanks for the article Jason. On the most basic level, how does polygamy ever work out mathematically?

I think it works like this:

Divide the number of women by the prophet's desire.

This is biting satire. Could you also do gumming?

Sometimes one needs to look at the first principles of who polygamy was really designed for. Runtu seems to be on the right track.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Missionaries bringing back more females:

"Brethren, I want you to understand that it is not to be as it has been heretofore. The brother missionaries have been in the habit of picking out the prettiest women for themselves before they get here, and bringing on the ugly ones for us; hereafter you have to bring them all here before taking any of them, and let us all have a fair shake."
- Apostle Heber C. Kimball, The Lion of the Lord, New York, 1969, pp.129-30.

"I say to those who are elected to go on missions, remember they are not your sheep: they belong to Him that sends you. Then do not make a choice of any of those sheep; do not make selections before they are brought home and put into the fold. You under stand that. Amen"
- Apostle Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p.256.

http://i4m.com/think/polygamy/polygamy_widows.htm
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Maxrep
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxrep »

beastie wrote:Missionaries bringing back more females:

" The brother missionaries have been in the habit of picking out the prettiest women for themselves before they get here, and bringing on the ugly ones for us; "
- Apostle Heber C. Kimball, The Lion of the Lord, New York, 1969, pp.129-30.

It kind of sounds like a cattle auction, right? Of course, the whole scene is pretty sad, but I couldn't help but laugh about the "pretty ones" getting plucked out by the missionaries.