SLTribune still writing as if Church apologized for MMM ....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

SLTribune still writing as if Church apologized for MMM ....

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

I just don't get it. There is an editorial posted in the Salt Lake Tribune just 3 hours ago, which opens with this sentence:

That it took the LDS Church until the 21st century to fully acknowledge and take responsibility for the 1857 mass murder of some 120 men, women and children of a wagon train passing through southwestern Utah was partly due to the sheer enormity and hideousness of the crime. (Bold mine for emphasis)

Huh? I didn't see anything in Eyring's statement that indicated the Church has fully acknowledged and taken responsibility for the MMM. Eyring still blamed it on local folks. And LDS spokesman Tuttle clarified today that Eyring's statement was not an apology by the Church institution. What would lead the Trib to continue to sound as if the Church institution has accepted responsibility and apologized for the massacre? Is the new ownership of the Trib starting to show its true colors?
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

I didn't see anything in Eyring's statement that indicated the Church has fully acknowledged and taken responsibility for the MMM.

As it should be. The Church bears no responsibility for the act.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

bcspace wrote:
I didn't see anything in Eyring's statement that indicated the Church has fully acknowledged and taken responsibility for the MMM.

As in, "It wasn't the building, it was the members"?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Anyone have a link to the actual Eyring speech (or maybe his email address or cell phone number?).

Seems pretty rediculous to be blabbering about what someone said about what someone said... you know..

when was the last time a newspaper got something right anyway?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

bcspace wrote:

Ha! And monkeys will fly out of my butt!
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I could not believe the Trib's headline. There was no apology. No one took Eyring's bleatings as such that I was aware of.

More later.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Mercury wrote:
bcspace wrote:

OK...That's just too much image for me to handle right now...LOL
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Blixa wrote:I could not believe the Trib's headline. There was no apology. No one took Eyring's bleatings as such that I was aware of.

The Des News also put "apology" in its headline. I think Eyring's statement sounded so much like an apology (but it wasn't) that folks initially jumped to that erroneous conclusion.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mercury wrote:

Had anyone else said it, I would think it a mere expression.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:The Des News also put "apology" in its headline. I think Eyring's statement sounded so much like an apology (but it wasn't) that folks initially jumped to that erroneous conclusion.

It would have been a good impression to leave everyone with but still they had to deny it.