Mormon Internet Battles and Anonymity

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Mormon Internet Battles and Anonymity

Post by _Mercury »

The Chinese govt is requiring all bloggers in China to "register" with them and to provide their real names. This is a striking parallel In the Mormon apologetic fantasy land of "the perfect internet, where anonymity is a sin and knowing who to turn into the church is a primary goal of many asshat apologists.

Anonymity on the internet is what makes the tubes so great. Without the use of anonymous posting on this and other boards one would be subject to the morons who pettily urge spiritual "counseling" to those speaking out against Mormonism.

So it looks like the more rabid apologists are in goose step with the PRC.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Nephi

Re: Mormon Internet Battles and Anonymity

Post by _Nephi »

Mercury wrote:So it looks like the more rabid apologists are in goose step with the PRC.

Though I agree that the anonymousness of the internet is a major plus to it, what I quote of yours above seems to make the assumption that the Chinese Government is somehow a bad thing.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I think it's only a sin if you're criticizing the church's claims. Otherwise, they seem to be ok with anonymity.

I also think it's a pathetic complaint launched in order to divert attention from the over-all weakness of the apologetic response to that same criticism.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Nephi wrote:
Mercury wrote:So it looks like the more rabid apologists are in goose step with the PRC.

...what I quote of yours above seems to make the assumption that the Chinese Government is somehow a bad thing.

You just lost all credibility.

All.

How in hell can you intimate that the PRC is to be admired?
Lost in time
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

beastie wrote:I think it's only a sin if you're criticizing the church's claims. Otherwise, they seem to be ok with anonymity.

I also think it's a pathetic complaint launched in order to divert attention from the over-all weakness of the apologetic response to that same criticism.

Exactly. Smoke screens and mirrors, concealing the empty shell of the original argument.

critic: "Joseph Lied"
Apologist: "You can't criticize the church because I don' know who you are"
Critic: "Why do you need to know who I am?"
Apologist: "don't ASK QUESTIONS!! Now tell me who you are!!!"
Critic: "No. My argument stands on its own independent of me"
Apologist: "Your refusal to reveal your identity is troubling"
Critic: "Your adamant demand for my identity is enlightening"

Wade? Crockett? Are you going to chime in or will you do as you always do and avoid participation in the discussion of some of your main gripes with critics?
Lost in time
_Nephi

Post by _Nephi »

Mercury wrote:
Nephi wrote:

...what I quote of yours above seems to make the assumption that the Chinese Government is somehow a bad thing.

You just lost all credibility.

All.

How in hell can you intimate that the PRC is to be admired?

Again, Merc, your thoughts and value you place upon me is not my concern here, and honestly, I didn't think I had any credibility with you to begin with, so next time, don't waste time enlarging and colorizing your text to try to make that seem bad or something.

2ndly, I cannot make a good judgment of the Chinese government as most of the news I get has been filtered through westernized news agencies. I can say this; their economy is one of the best in the world, they are well organized, and are some of the best engineers in the world, their health care is socialized, and they are becoming more and more democratic while the US is becoming more and more social.

Also, I find the atrocities that the Chinese government has done in the world to not trump the atrocities that the US has done in the world. So, though I am not saying they are to be admired, they are not some bad thing, unless you buy into the propaganda that westernized media displays of them.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

to each it's own:

Surely this guy doesn't want to remain anonymous:

http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/weblog.php?w=20
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Merc wrote:Wade? Crockett? Are you going to chime in or will you do as you always do and avoid participation in the discussion of some of your main gripes with critics?

To be fair, it's not Wade that has a huge problem with the anonymity. It's Crock's broken record.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

This should in no way imply that Mr. Crockett is a Chinese agent for his constant demand that you should all furnish your true identities to Beijing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

moksha wrote:This should in no way imply that Mr. Crockett is a Chinese agent for his constant demand that you should all furnish your true identities to Beijing.

LOL!