Avoiding the temptations of the Savior (D&C 132:51)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Avoiding the temptations of the Savior (D&C 132:51)

Post by _asbestosman »

Today in stake conference (televised from SLC), one speaker (accidently, I'm sure) said to "avoid the temptations of the Savior."

Me, being the weird guy I am, decided to find an example of the temptations of the Savior and remembered our favorite D&C section on polygamy.

D&C 132:51 Verily, I say unto you: A commandment I give unto mine handmaid, Emma Smith, your wife, whom I have given unto you, that she stay herself and partake not of that which I commanded you to offer unto her; for I did it, saith the Lord, to prove you all, as I did Abraham, and that I might require an offering at your hand, by covenant and sacrifice.

I think this brings up some interesting problems. First of all, it appears that there are times when we shouldn't necessarily do or accept that which God offers. Does this mean I can easily decline from callings or maybe from cleaning the chapel?

Secondly, what on earth was offered to Emma? Whatever it was, I'm sure it won't be particularly faith-promoting otherwise I imagine that I'd have already learned what it was in seminary, institute, or Sunday School.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: Avoiding the temptations of the Savior (D&C 132:51)

Post by _The Nehor »

asbestosman wrote:Today in stake conference (televised from SLC), one speaker (accidently, I'm sure) said to "avoid the temptations of the Savior."

Me, being the weird guy I am, decided to find an example of the temptations of the Savior and remembered our favorite D&C section on polygamy.

D&C 132:51 Verily, I say unto you: A commandment I give unto mine handmaid, Emma Smith, your wife, whom I have given unto you, that she stay herself and partake not of that which I commanded you to offer unto her; for I did it, saith the Lord, to prove you all, as I did Abraham, and that I might require an offering at your hand, by covenant and sacrifice.

I think this brings up some interesting problems. First of all, it appears that there are times when we shouldn't necessarily do or accept that which God offers. Does this mean I can easily decline from callings or maybe from cleaning the chapel?

Secondly, what on earth was offered to Emma? Whatever it was, I'm sure it won't be particularly faith-promoting otherwise I imagine that I'd have already learned what it was in seminary, institute, or Sunday School.

It may or may not be particularly faith-promoting but the reality is that no one alive seems to know what that verse was talking about. To my knowledge neither Joseph or Emma ever talked about it.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

asbestosman wrote:I think this brings up some interesting problems. First of all, it appears that there are times when we shouldn't necessarily do or accept that which God offers. Does this mean I can easily decline from callings or maybe from cleaning the chapel?

You can't decline any calling. You must first accept it with all the conviction you can muster. You must also pre-suppose that it is not a test. It would not be an effective test of loyalty if you were only calling His bluff.

If it is just a test, God will stay your hand while you are committed to the very act (from picking up a vacuum to clean the chapel or from slaughtering your first born just before mutilating his body by fire).

God forbid He is busy playing golf with His cell phone off when you are about to do something He didn't mean for you to fulfill.

Good luck.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

It could mean you don't have to obey OR, it could mean that Joseph Smith offered Emma the opportunity to be with other men then changed his mind.

;-)

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

The Nehor wrote:It may or may not be particularly faith-promoting but the reality is that no one alive seems to know what that verse was talking about. To my knowledge neither Joseph or Emma ever talked about it.

Maybe it wasn't so bad, but the thing is, Joseph didn't talk much about polygamy at all. The only thing we have from him that's often discussed in the church is D&C 132, and even then polygamy is usually played down while the temple and being sealed is emphasized.

Emma seems to have publicly denied that Joseph practiced polygamy. I'm not sure where she ever admits he did it at all.

In context, the verse does appear to be talking about God commanding Joseph to offer Emma other men. Why? Because the very next verse tells Emma to accept all those given to Joseph. and a couple more down tells her to cleave to Joseph and none else. Now, if polygamy was something hard on Joseph--and it appears that it may have been--then perhaps Emma was offered others so that she too could understand how difficult it was. Yet I'm not even sure with that because Emma already had a hard enough time with it that she appears never to have accepted it.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

God gives men weaknesses so they may be humble and come to him so he can make them strong.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi asbestosman..

Now, if polygamy was something hard on Joseph--and it appears that it may have been--

I'm not sure if you are kidding or what... ;-) What was hard? The lying and manipulating? The sneaking around? Finding time to meet with all his women? Arranging the secret get togethers? Getting women to agree to his advances? Getting the husbands to agree to give him their wives? Trying to keeps names straight? What?

then perhaps Emma was offered others so that she too could understand how difficult it was.

Ummm you are joking right?

;-)

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

The Nehor wrote:
asbestosman wrote:Today in stake conference (televised from SLC), one speaker (accidently, I'm sure) said to "avoid the temptations of the Savior."

It may or may not be particularly faith-promoting but the reality is that no one alive seems to know what that verse was talking about. To my knowledge neither Joseph or Emma ever talked about it.

Actually there is some that believe this points to Emma receiving another husband and may have been interested in William Law. Well, she felt that if it was good for Joseph it should be available to her. Beastie can provide some references for this I believe

Are you there Beastie?
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

truth dancer wrote:
then perhaps Emma was offered others so that she too could understand how difficult it was.

Nope, just thinking out loud as it were. Notice my qualifier, "perhaps" in that sentence and also see my next senetnce:

Yet I'm not even sure with that because Emma already had a hard enough time with it [polygamy] that she appears never to have accepted it.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

truth dancer wrote:Hi asbestosman..

Now, if polygamy was something hard on Joseph--and it appears that it may have been--

I'm not sure if you are kidding or what... ;-) What was hard? The lying and manipulating? The sneaking around? Finding time to meet with all his women? Arranging the secret get togethers? Getting women to agree to his advances? Getting the husbands to agree to give him their wives? Trying to keeps names straight? What?

;-)

~dancer~

All this depends heavily on whether Joseph wanted this or not. There is scriptural precedent for being told to do unreasonable things you find disgusting (Abraham and Isaac). Abraham had to choose between love and trust in God and love and protectiveness towards his child. Could Joseph have faced the same thing by being asked to choose between trust in God and devotion to his wife? Perhaps not incidental that they are both mentioned in previous verse.

If I sound overly sympathetic it is because I was asked to surrender something very specific and precious to me that I thought I would never allow away when God told me to give it all up. I refused in anger and his reply was, "You covenanted to obey me in all things. I call you to your oath. OBEY!!!!!!" It took two days of near constant commands before I acceded. I was angry, hurt, broken, empty, and was all out of tears. In the back of my mind when I gave up I hoped that this was a test I just had to agree to and then the command would be lifted once I passed and Isaac would be allowed to get off the altar. Nope, I had to kill him. It sucked but I wouldn't trade what I learned for anything....even what I lost.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo