When do beliefs become ridiculous?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

When do beliefs become ridiculous?

Post by _Who Knows »

I was reading this article about a book that claims the earth is 6,000 years old, and I'm just dumbfounded. Here's some snippets:

the author of the book frequently described as the greatest history book ever written, said the world was created Oct. 23, 4004 B.C. – making it exactly 6,009 last Monday.

The book...is a favorite of homeschoolers and those who take ancient history seriously.

It's a classic history book for those who believe in the Bible – and a compelling challenge for those who don't.

Does anyone really believe this crap anymore?

So then I was thinking - what makes a belief ridiculous? What causes people to look at something, and think to themselves 'this is bullcrap'? How can people who have ridiculous beliefs, claim others are ridiculous, but not theirs? What does it take to get someone to see the ridiculousness for what it is?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: When do beliefs become ridiculous?

Post by _Runtu »

Who Knows wrote:I was reading this article about a book that claims the earth is 6,000 years old, and I'm just dumbfounded. Here's some snippets:

the author of the book frequently described as the greatest history book ever written, said the world was created Oct. 23, 4004 B.C. – making it exactly 6,009 last Monday.

The book...is a favorite of homeschoolers and those who take ancient history seriously.

It's a classic history book for those who believe in the Bible – and a compelling challenge for those who don't.

So then I was thinking - what makes a belief ridiculous? What causes people to look at something, and think to themselves 'this is bullcrap'? How can people who have ridiculous beliefs, claim others are ridiculous, but not theirs? What does it take to get someone to see the ridiculousness for what it is?

This brings up another issue. People demand respect for their religious beliefs, but at one point do you just have to say, "I find your religious beliefs absurd"? When someone begins spouting stuff about Xenu and Thetans, are you supposed to bite your tongue and say, "I can respect that"?

Of course, the topic at hand really doesn't have anything to do religion. The author makes some absurd statements based on his or her religious beliefs, but they aren't religious statements in themselves. So, you can say, "Your evidence is absurd," or "Your conclusions are absurd" without necessarily insulting the religious belief.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Always Thinking
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Thinking »

Who Knows wrote:I was reading this article about a book that claims the earth is 6,000 years old, and I'm just dumbfounded. Here's some snippets:

Yes, people do believe this mythology, still. I think it is becoming even more prevalent in the U.S. today.

I am dumbfounded by it.

About a year and half ago, my daughter suffered a serious accident. She missed school for a couple of weeks. On her first day back to school, she was still on crutches. I attended the whole day of school with her to help her. During her reading lesson (she was in 2nd grade), they were required to read a story about fossils. While the students were taking a test, the teacher came over to talk to me. She commented to me that she didn't like the story because it was about fossils, which, to her, promoted evolution, which she didn't believe in! I just nodded a little, not sure what to say.

I live in a poor, small, redneck town in the Bible belt. The school principal is a preacher, and many of the teachers are preachers wives. When I first registered my kids in the school four years ago, they asked me what church I went to. I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils to them, to be atheist/agnostic, or to be LDS!

My husband, who works with educated people (scientists, mind you) who are also highly religious (Pentecostal, Baptist, etc.) has found that it is harder for them to accept his agnosticism than anything else. I think it would be easier for them if he were still a believing Mormon, even if they do think Mormons are going to hell. At least he would still believe in God! He loves a good discussion/argument, so he often gets them going. He says that sometimes, they will even defend Mormonism against his atheism!
Last edited by Sledge on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

This goes back again to that thread on MAD where I asked TBM's if they would believe if they didn't have their spiritual witness and most of them said they wouldn't. I think TBM's know their beliefs are weird. But, that's what makes them a peculiar people...a fact which they are infinitely proud of.
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

You've all seen the Bill Moyer's essay, "The Delusional is no longer marginal?" If not I can find a link or copy excerpts...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Post by _Black Moclips »

I sometimes pick up random rocks and look at them. I have even put a few in a hat just to get a visual representation of how the Book of Mormon was translated. I've even put my face into the hat. Try as I might, I can't make myself believe this happens or happened. I have absolutely no evidence that the observable, verifiable world works in this fashion. Yet, a key point in my religion requires I believe a youngman literally did this. And to make it even harder to believe, its not something that was done after that, by anyone else, ever. A truly fantastic claim. My brain realizes the odds of this actually happening, but the heart gets tied up in family expectations, tradition, culture, and fear of the unknown. Given enough time, I think the brain will actually win out. But it isn't without some saddness at what the heart lost.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Here's my .02$

I think when very very VERY specific claims are made (such as the world being created Oct 23 4004 BC or whatever) can be shown to be not only wrong but very very VERY wrong beliefs are ridiculous.

Another example (for me being a military history buff)....the Book of Mormon narrative that a battle took place where 2 million plus people died....till I see evidence, I'm not believing it (particularly in light that the largest pitched battles in WORLD HISTORY [such as during WWII, which used technologies for killing that would far surpass Book of Mormon technology] didn't reach 2 million killed).
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

I love this quote. Every apologist, no matter what they are defending, claims that the critics have a big challenge on their hand trying to disprove them.
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_Yong Xi
_Emeritus

Post by _Yong Xi »

Beliefs become ridiculous when they belong to someone else. Everyone has some beliefs that are illogical. Usually, these are stories that are presented as truth by people we trust when we are small. These "truths", no matter how ridiculous, are the hardest to shake. Intelligence may not have much to do with identifying magical beliefs, particularly if one is conditioned to such belief as a child.

I don't hold out much hope for living in a rational world. Magic is alive and well (and perhaps necessary for some people.)
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

I think we just have to admit we are complete solipsists. The more I have talked to people who believe in things I find ridiculous, the more I have realized that they are actually firmly convicted that whatever they believe is true! At that point they completely lose their ability to understand the opponent. Take bcspace, for instance.

I got into a debate with this young Earth creationist once about evolution; to him, accepting there is organic macroevolution meant accepting the Universe was created as a result of the Big Bang, which completely takes God out of the equation, in his opinion. I kept saying "But organic evolution has nothing whatsoever to do with the Big Bang", but it just wasn't registering. I seriously think he was hearing something else.

What's truly scary is the possibility that I might be a lunatic and everyone around me keeps telling me that, but I somehow manage to process their words to mean something completely different. There is really no way of finding out.
"reason and religion are friends and allies" - Mitt Romney