Marriage ????ber Alles

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Marriage Ãœber Alles

Post by _moksha »

The divorce cost Phil his livelihood. No divorced person can teach at the LDS Institute, no matter what caused it.
"They fired me with comments of great compassion," he recalls. "It didn't sound like they were judging me. They were trying to be soft and gentle, saying things like, 'Can you imagine how awkward it would be if you were assigned to teach a class on marriage and family?' They implied they were doing this for my own good."
In a flash, he was thrust into the gravest economic, occupational, marital, faith and religious crisis of his life. He felt abandoned by some church members.
"I didn't even know if I could finish my doctoral program," he says. "I had to pull out of my exams, come back to Utah and live in the basement of my parents' house. I was sick day and night for months." http://www.sltrib.com/faith/ci_7028539
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Any guess as to why they are so down on the divorced and widowed?
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

WTF?

A word to the wise....NEVER, NEVER work for the Church!
_Livingstone22
_Emeritus

Post by _Livingstone22 »

I heard a rumor that a friend of a friend's church record was "flagged" for having homosexual inclinations (unclear if he had ever acted out on them or not), and that he was officially disallowed to ever work with youth or hold a "high calling" like a bishop. Is this true? Does theese two things really happen, or is there more to the stories?

P.S. [edit] "Marriage Über Alles"--"marriage over everything?" did I get that translation correctly? I wonder why you chose that? Are you saying that marriage is more important than anything in the LDS church? Just wondering....I'm not making a point or anything.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I think it could be argued that the LDS church had made a cult out of marriage and parenthood.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Livingstone22 wrote:I heard a rumor that a friend of a friend's church record was "flagged" for having homosexual inclinations (unclear if he had ever acted out on them or not), and that he was officially disallowed to ever work with youth or hold a "high calling" like a bishop. Is this true? Does theese two things really happen, or is there more to the stories?

Yes, there are special codes for such flagging. In the case of suspected Homosexuality, a pink triangle with a question mark in the center is used. For instances of known Homosexuality, a solid pink triangle is used.

For those giving over a thousand dollars a month tithing, a gold star is used.

For those who have been selected to enter the tunnels beneath the seventh level basement corridors of the Temple, a green circle is used.

There may be other symbols and perhaps other posters could identify them.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

moksha wrote:
Livingstone22 wrote:I heard a rumor that a friend of a friend's church record was "flagged" for having homosexual inclinations (unclear if he had ever acted out on them or not), and that he was officially disallowed to ever work with youth or hold a "high calling" like a bishop. Is this true? Does theese two things really happen, or is there more to the stories?

Yes, there are special codes for such flagging. In the case of suspected Homosexuality, a pink triangle with a question mark in the center is used. For instances of known Homosexuality, a solid pink triangle is used.

For those who have been selected to enter the tunnels beneath the seventh level basement corridors of the Temple, a green circle is used.

I bet you all the brethren have something that looks like a big rainbow.
I want to fly!
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

moksha wrote:

The only one I'm aware of is the upside-down pentagram next to Tsuzuki's name.

In the Mormon world, that's actually a compliment.

-CK
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Huh?

"It didn't sound like they were judging me. They were trying to be soft and gentle, saying things like, 'Can you imagine how awkward it would be if you were assigned to teach a class on marriage and family?'

No. I'm afraid I can't imagine how awkward that would be.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

However, we may err when we confuse ironclad rules with guiding principles.

DUH!

I nominate this for Quote of the Month.