Marriage ????ber Alles

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Livingstone22
_Emeritus

Post by _Livingstone22 »

Jersey Girl wrote:Huh?

"It didn't sound like they were judging me. They were trying to be soft and gentle, saying things like, 'Can you imagine how awkward it would be if you were assigned to teach a class on marriage and family?'

No. I'm afraid I can't imagine how awkward that would be.

Well, perhaps it's like a person who had been in a car accident telling their children to be careful when driving......I guess it just doesn't work.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

liz3564 wrote:WTF?

A word to the wise....NEVER, NEVER work for the Church!

Oh BOY could I tell you story after story about things like this. Yep, I would never ever work for the LDS Church. Never ever.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Jason Bourne wrote:

Oh BOY could I tell you story after story about things like this. Yep, I would never ever work for the LDS Church. Never ever.

Ya know, that's very sad. The church is supposed to be the Kingdom of God, led by God's mouthpiece... and yet they are so rulebound that there is no mercy, no justice. No wonder people say if this is what God is like they want no part of him.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Livingstone22 wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Huh?

"It didn't sound like they were judging me. They were trying to be soft and gentle, saying things like, 'Can you imagine how awkward it would be if you were assigned to teach a class on marriage and family?'

No. I'm afraid I can't imagine how awkward that would be.

Well, perhaps it's like a person who had been in a car accident telling their children to be careful when driving......I guess it just doesn't work.

I'd think that, having "been there", his warnings about the consequences of divorce would be all the more poignant. The same goes for your careful driving example. If moksha is wearing a neck brace and tells me to wear my seat belt, I'm gonna wear it!!!
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

CaliforniaKid wrote: If moksha is wearing a neck brace and tells me to wear my seat belt, I'm gonna wear it!!!

What if I'm wearing a truss and warn you against rough sex?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

harmony wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Ya know, that's very sad. The church is supposed to be the Kingdom of God, led by God's mouthpiece... and yet they are so rulebound that there is no mercy, no justice. No wonder people say if this is what God is like they want no part of him.

One good friend of mine who works for the Church said to me that you had to seperate the Church from the Corp of the Presiding Bishop. The latter is a business and often not the nicest one around. I said sorry but it seems the the business should try to be as Christ like as the Church says we ought to be.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Jason Bourne wrote:
harmony wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

One good friend of mine who works for the Church said to me that you had to seperate the Church from the Corp of the Presiding Bishop. The latter is a business and often not the nicest one around. I said sorry but it seems the the business should try to be as Christ like as the Church says we ought to be.

Jason, tell us more. What's up with this Corporation of the Presiding Bishopric? They are the ones with all our tithing dollars, are they not?
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

moksha wrote:Jason, tell us more. What's up with this Corporation of the Presiding Bishopric? They are the ones with all our tithing dollars, are they not?

I thought the Corp of the Presiding Bishopric was the entity that controls the for-profit businesses that the church owns.
_Belial

Post by _Belial »

Livingstone22 wrote:I heard a rumor that a friend of a friend's church record was "flagged" for having homosexual inclinations (unclear if he had ever acted out on them or not), and that he was officially disallowed to ever work with youth or hold a "high calling" like a bishop. Is this true? Does theese two things really happen, or is there more to the stories?

P.S. [edit] "Marriage Über Alles"--"marriage over everything?" did I get that translation correctly? I wonder why you chose that? Are you saying that marriage is more important than anything in the LDS church? Just wondering....I'm not making a point or anything.

As a general policy when sharing either faith-promoting or faith-destroying rumors it is best to replace 'friend of a friend' with friend, spouse, child, parent, or even yourself. Makes it sound less like folklore.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

harmony wrote:
moksha wrote:Jason, tell us more. What's up with this Corporation of the Presiding Bishopric? They are the ones with all our tithing dollars, are they not?

I thought the Corp of the Presiding Bishopric was the entity that controls the for-profit businesses that the church owns.

Good question. Does anyone have definitive answers?