Charity has got your number you anti-mormons!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Charity has got your number you anti-mormons!

Post by _moksha »

Charity: When Hugh Nibley wrote his very instructive "How to Write an Anti-Mormon Book" in 2003, the internet had not produced the proliferation of anti-Mormon outlets.

And the new medium has produced some new strategies. One that apologists should be aware of is the "I Can't Hear You" stratagem. The following is a dialogue between an anti-Mormon and an apologist.

Anti - You Mormons worship Joseph Smith.

Apolo - We respect him, but we don’t worship him.

Anti - You just can’t admit it, so stop evading the issue. Do you worship Joseph Smith? Hint: the answer is yes or no.

Apolo - Then no. We don’t worship anyone except God and Jesus.

Anti - Stop trying to derail the thread! This is about Joseph Smith. You can’t answer so you are trying to distract us. You always do that when you can’t answer the question. I am still waiting for an answer.

Apolo - What do you want me to say? I’ve already answered your question. We don’t worship any mortal.

Anti - No you haven’t answered my question. That’s because you can’t. You Mormons always evade the issue. And you sure don’t teach it to investigators. How many people do you think would join your cult if they were told right off that you worship Joseph Smith?

Apolo - We don’t worship Joseph Smith.

Anti - Then what about what Brigham Young said? You say you believe every word he said because he was a prophet. He said in the Journal of Discourses: “We believe. . . . all. . . men. . . . should . . . worship. . . . . Joseph Smith.” So what is it? Don’t you believe Brigham Young was your cult’s prophet and you should believe every word he said and then there’s blood atonement.”

Apolo - (refusing to get drawn into the ridiculous argument about Brigham Young) We honor and respect our prophets but we don’t try to replace Jesus with them.

Anti - I’ve had enough of your evasions and lies. Everyone here sees just how dishonest and brainwashed you are. You can’t even answer a simple question!

Disclaimer: While every anti-line was said to me on an anti-board, the anti here is a composite.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I saw this thread and about transferred it over, but then I realized that charity is a moron and no one takes her seriously.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

I gotta give her props for at least attempting satire, but it simply comes across as a strawman. I've never seen any so called "anti-mormon" make those type of arguments. Now maybe she's talking about evangelical anti-mormons. I can see them using those arguments, but my experience has mostly been with secular critics.

Now as far as the question of Mormons worshipping Joseph Smith, it goes beyond simple respect. Charity can fool the evangelical christians, but she can't fool former Mormons. We know what was taught to us. Mormons may not worship Joseph Smith, but they have an unhealthy obsession with him.
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Between Juliann and Charity, they sure got anti's pegged.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

beastie wrote:Between Juliann and Charity, they sure got anti's pegged.

Well of course! The discovery has all been done!
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Charity has got your number you anti-mormons!

Post by _harmony »

moksha wrote:Disclaimer: While every anti-line was said to me on an anti-board, the anti here is a composite.
[/quote]

Just what "anti" board has Charity been posting on? She doesn't come here, that's for sure, so she can't be referring to us.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

It wasn't this board. It was an EV board set up for the sole purpose of attacking (saving) LDS. So the anti in this case is the EVs and with that in mind it's probably not too far off the mark.

Frankly I find the EVs that attack LDS to be ludicrous in their arguments. Fussing at silliness with their own brand of silliness.

Charity is a nice lady Bond!
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

I don't believe that charity is genuine.

I believe she is an exmo wearing a sock puppet of an overt chapel Mormon just to scare the nevermo visitors.

Her MAAD character is as close to the average chapel mo as I have ever seen.

Who ever is wearing the sock puppet, I say bravo, as they are showing the true Mormon spirit, which is very odd.
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

Polygamy Porter wrote:I don't believe that charity is genuine.

I believe she is an exmo wearing a sock puppet of an overt chapel Mormon just to scare the nevermo visitors.

Who ever is wearing the sock puppet, I say bravo, as they are showing the true Mormon spirit, which is very odd.

I am pretty sure it's Primus from RfM.:)
"reason and religion are friends and allies" - Mitt Romney
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Polygamy Porter wrote:I don't believe that charity is genuine.

Charity is not a sock puppet.

I have had real exchanges with her. She is a real person.

She has a deluded view on things at times, but she is a very nice, harmless lady in her 60's. She actually has a Master's degree in Psychology, and has taught both on the secondary and at the college level.