Come watch the PR trainwreck at LDS.ORG

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mentalgymnast

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Mercury wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:
Mercury wrote:Who do you think "told" him where the buried treasure was? Demons, that's who.

Depends on who you read.

Regards,
MG

In reading the literature howto's on treasure digging available at the time Demons "defended" treasure. It was the job of the demon to bring the treasure down into the earth when people like joe came digging. Magic circles, salt spread on the ground etc. Demons watched over the buried treasure in that worldview.

That's rather simplistic. A good place to start in trying to understand Joseph Smith's world view would be a comment that Parley P. Pratt made. In an 1853 sermon, LDS elder Parley P. Pratt stated that Mormonism is founded on a previous infrastructure involving the practice of necromancy, and that the spiritualist movement of the Nineteenth Century, which had begun only five years earlier, actually aided the cause of the LDS church:

Who communicated with our great Prophet, and revealed through him as a medium, the ancient history of a hemisphere, and the records of the ancient dead? Moroni, who had lived upon the earth 1400 years before....
Who revealed to him the plan of redemption, and of exaltation for the dead who had died without the Gospel and the keys and preparations necessary for holy and perpetual converse with Jesus Christ, and with the spirits of just men made perfect?... Those from the dead!...
Shall we, then, deny the principle, the philosophy, the fact of communication between worlds? No! verily no!
Editors, statesmen, philosophers, priests, and lawyers, as well as the common people, began to advocate the principle of converse with the dead, by visions, divination, clairvoyance, knocking, and writing mediums, etc., etc. This spiritual philosophy of converse with the dead, once established by the labors, toils, sufferings, and martyrdom of its modern founders, and now embraced by a large portion of the learned world, show a triumph more rapid and complete — a victory more extensive, than has ever been achieved in the same length of time in our world.
An important point is gained, a victory won, and a countless host of opposing powers vanquished, on one of the leading or fundamental truths of "Mormon" philosophy, viz. — "that the living may hear from the dead."

The Smith's believed that the living could hear from the dead. Important, no?

There's much that could be debated, and has been, on the world view that the Smith family and others at the time took as being reality. A topic for another thread maybe? This thread keeps going off kilter and no one seems to actually have anything much to say except talking about obese women.

The point that I attempted to make to Mrs. Chalmers' prize pupil is that I'd just as well stick with the fruits of Mormonism than the fruits of his spiritual wanderings. But that's me. To each his/her own.

Regards,
MG
_mentalgymnast

Re: Come watch the PR trainwreck at LDS.ORG

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Polygamy Porter wrote:...who would like to count the ridiculous number of times these two fools say "church of jesus christ of latter day saints"?

They're not fools.

You guys make some really lame statements at times.

Later.

Regards,
MG
_mentalgymnast

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Quinlansolo wrote:Then they skip around on the whole Jackson County issue.

For an answer to a question posed at a news conference I think they did fine. They caught the "resurrection" gaffe made by the religion editor and then went on to say that the church believes in the Biblical account of Christ's return to Jerusalem. They did an add-on and said that there would be two centers of Christ's administration of the earth. Jerusalem and somewhere in the middle (I think they used that word) of the United States. Jackson County/Daviess County pretty much falls into that description, doesn't it?

To me, it seems make sense that there would be more that one location for Jesus' theocratic administration.

How much do you think they should have said in a short amount of time? Did you expect them to get into the convocation at Adam-ondi-Ahman and all that stuff?

Regards,
MG
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

mentalgymnast wrote:

For an answer to a question posed at a news conference I think they did fine. They caught the "resurrection" gaffe made by the religion editor and then went on to say that the church believes in the Biblical account of Christ's return to Jerusalem. They did an add-on and said that there would be two centers of Christ's administration of the earth. Jerusalem and somewhere in the middle (I think they used that word) of the United States. Jackson County/Daviess County pretty much falls into that description, doesn't it?

To me, it seems make sense that there would be more that one location for Jesus' theocratic administration.

How much do you think they should have said in a short amount of time? Did you expect them to get into the convocation at Adam-ondi-Ahman and all that stuff?

Regards,
MG

I think they dodged their way out of it and you are too blinded by "the spirit" to see the BS for what it is.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_mentalgymnast

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Mercury wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:

Regards,
MG

I think they dodged their way out of it and you are too blinded by "the spirit" to see the BS for what it is.

What do you think they should have said in response to the specific question that was asked? It would be helpful if you could restate the original question asked by the caller.

Regards,
MG
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

With the heavy-handedness of the priesthood being what it is, I'm delighted they had a woman on there at all. And it's not Sherry Dew!
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

harmony wrote:With the heavy-handedness of the priesthood being what it is, I'm delighted they had a woman on there at all. And it's not Sherry Dew!

Sherry Dew is a woman!!! GASP.

Oops. I guess that makes me the prick.
_mentalgymnast

Post by _mentalgymnast »

harmony wrote:With the heavy-handedness of the priesthood being what it is, I'm delighted they had a woman on there at all. And it's not Sherry Dew!

I'm glad you don't think anything the less of her simply because she has added on a few pounds. Hard to believe PP thought that was worth focusing on. You guys put up with a lot having him around here don't you?! At least he's operating from a similar set of assumptions as many others here. I guess that may be part of the reason he's considered acceptable.

Regards,
MG
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

mentalgymnast wrote:

I'm glad you don't think anything the less of her simply because she has added on a few pounds. Hard to believe PP thought that was worth focusing on. You guys put up with a lot having him around here don't you?! At least he's operating from a similar set of assumptions as many others here. I guess that may be part of the reason he's considered acceptable.

Regards,
MG

I wonder why you're considered acceptable? ;)
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

mentalgymnast wrote:

Regards,
MG

Some of us try to accept everyone, MG. Our mommas taught that we're all God's children, and since God loves us all, we're supposed to do likewise. Don't confuse us with MAD. We may have our differences, and Lord knows I've been snarky at PP and Merc occasionally myself, but we're all part of this community and they deserve to be treated as well as you do, even if they don't return the favor. If MAD can accept Pahoran, we can accept Merc and PP. Heck, if Pahoran came here, we'd accept him too!