Those Who Served Missions...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Those Who Served Missions...

Post by _silentkid »

What is the weirdest word you learned on your mission or in the MTC?

My example: Hud. The elders in my mission used this word in place of crap or the "sh" word. It was commonly used in the declaration, "I have to take a hud".

I had never heard this word before my two year incarceration. I have never used it since.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

"Fetch" or "Fetchen" in place of the F word was a funny one.

I always thought Mormon cuss words were weird. I never understood them or used them. I always wrote it off as a strange cultural thing, like mexican men and their pencil thin mustaches, and multicolored jeans.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Re: Those Who Served Missions...

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

silentkid wrote:What is the weirdest word you learned on your mission or in the MTC?

My example: Hud. The elders in my mission used this word in place of crap or the "sh" word. It was commonly used in the declaration, "I have to take a hud".

I had never heard this word before my two year incarceration. I have never used it since.

'Till today!

KA
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

silentkid wrote:What is the weirdest word you learned on your mission or in the MTC?

My mission's sublanguage:

Bap: baptism
Fry: Burned-out missionary who doesn't follow the rules.
Red Hot: Overzealous rule follower.
White Hot: Self-righteous, overzealous rule follower.
Fog: Derogatory term for not-very-bright investigator.
Brown Unit: Derogatory term for Bolivian native.
Brown-Out: Uncontrollable diarrhea.
Snake: Any girl interested in missionaries.
Fall: To have sex.

I can't believe I remember all this crap.

Edit: Most of these are just stupid, but the derogatory terms really bothered me. How can you expect to bring people to Christ when you see them as "brown units"?
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

silentkid wrote:My example: Hud.

Aahhh. You're bringing back memories. I had totally forgotten about that word. I'll have to rack my brain now. I know we had a few strange words in my mission.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I remember "Trunky". It meant the Elder was homesick, as in ready to pack up his trunk and go home.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Ugh

Post by _Trevor »

I hated 'Hud.' I did end up using 'fetch,' I have to admit. I don't continue to use it, but I did for a time. Thanks for the bad memories.
_Always Thinking
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Thinking »

trunky (see Gaz's explanation)
hump day=your half way mark

And there was a word, I wish I could remember it...I think it was triffs (not sure). It was the word for local girls who tempt the elders.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

This hud business disturbs me. Why does it sound so gross to me?
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

There were some words in my mission. Some were based on German words, some not.

Pad = apartment (not claiming the LDS invented this one, but this was commonly used, and is otherwise uncommon in English)

Schwarz = adjective meaning a rule breaker. Comes from "schwartz fahren" which in Switzerland means riding the bus or train without a valid ticket. "Schwartz fahren verboten." was seen on signs. Schwarz actually means "black", but calling a missionary "schwartz" had nothing to do with the black race. A schwartz missionary was one who would break rules and not work hard and whatnot.

Flug = "day trip", from the German "Ausflug" which really does mean a trip. A Swisss railway system book that covered the train schedules for the entire country was called the Fluger's Bible. On my mission we occasional had what we called a Special P-Day, on which we were allowed to go anywhere in the mission, from as early as we wanted, to as late as we wanted, as long as we got home that night. Missionaries would often go camp out at another set of missionaries' pad so that they could begin their Flug close to a major railway hub or station and take literally the first train out a couple hours before dawn, and then not get home till like midnight or later, on the last train.

We didn't have that many baptisms, so "bap" wasn't used in our mission. They were so rare that we could afford the extra two syllables whenever we had occasion to use the word. :-)
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen