Invasion of the Evangelicals

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

Doctor Steuss wrote:The highlight for me was this comment (directed towards an EV) by Mighty Curelom:

Anyway, sorry for the interruption. Please continue debating the various red flags, contradictions, and absurdities of your opponent's holy book while ignoring the same in your own.

Brilliant.

Must have been refering to 'Origin Of the Species' I guess... :D
Last edited by Guest on Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Invasion of the Evangelicals

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Runtu wrote:In case you've missed it, several Evangelicals from Concerned Christians have been posting heavily on the board that must not be named. It's livened the place up, I have to say. As expected, they're doing the usual attempt to prooftext Mormonism to death, which has the predictable result that the apologists are questioning the motives and honesty of the EVs. It's been particularly amusing to hear Pahoran waxing indignant about anti-Mormon purveyors of hate.

One wonders how long it will be before they retreat back to the CC board and declare that the Mormons are beyond help.

Evangelicals proof text as much as Mormons. When I was a hobby apologist I just got tired of arguing with the EVs. We just continued to talk past each other. And Mormons are not going to prove all their doctrine from the Bible, nor should they, based on the fact they believe in an open Canon. For EVs if it ain't in the Bible and if it ain't interpreted the way they do, you are flat out wrong. What was the use?

Edit:Runtu, I see you were saying the EVs were proof texting.

Yes both sides proof text.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

This is the best thing to happen to MAD in a long time, since now they have some easy targets.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Doctor Steuss wrote:The highlight for me was this comment (directed towards an EV) by Mighty Curelom:

Anyway, sorry for the interruption. Please continue debating the various red flags, contradictions, and absurdities of your opponent's holy book while ignoring the same in your own.

Brilliant.

I had a similar reaction in another thread, and told them I was now excusing myself from their Harry Potter convention. (They were arguing about the true shape of god, as a homo sapien or just a spirit. One LDS apologist thinks god could be a human but without any DNA.)
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

The Dude wrote: I had a similar reaction in another thread, and told them I was now excusing myself from their Harry Potter convention. (They were arguing about the true shape of god, as a homo sapien or just a spirit. One LDS apologist thinks god could be a human but without any DNA.)

This person is absolutely right. Glenn Howard Griffin's defense attorneys have already established that since DNA evidence does not support the Book of Mormon, DNA must not be true. Things that aren't true don't come from God, so it's only logical to conclude God has no DNA.

That was probably the thought process involved in formulating that hypothesis.
"reason and religion are friends and allies" - Mitt Romney
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

And yet DNA is found throughout an organism, is it not? And resurrected beings are flesh and bone; they only lack blood, if I rememeber the mythos correctly...

When things get to this level there is a certain pleasure that can be derived from the general wackiness of the terms of the debate. However, I find that fun to be short lived unless in the very capable hands of a genius nutjob like John P. Pratt---who I notice has been absent for a long time from Meridian.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Belial

Post by _Belial »

Zoidberg wrote:This person is absolutely right. Glenn Howard Griffin's defense attorneys have already established that since DNA evidence does not support the Book of Mormon, DNA must not be true. Things that aren't true don't come from God, so it's only logical to conclude God has no DNA.

That was probably the thought process involved in formulating that hypothesis.

Hell has taken the official position that God has the DNA of a mentally maldeveloped sloth. All insinuations contrary to this are obviously propaganda.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Belial wrote:Hell has taken the official position that God has the DNA of a mentally maldeveloped sloth. All insinuations contrary to this are obviously propaganda.

So I guess that means that the image of God portrayed on South Park is the most accurate?

"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

The Dude wrote:I had a similar reaction in another thread, and told them I was now excusing myself from their Harry Potter convention.

rofl!
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Re: Invasion of the Evangelicals

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Runtu wrote:In case you've missed it, several Evangelicals from Concerned Christians have been posting heavily on the board that must not be named. It's livened the place up, I have to say. As expected, they're doing the usual attempt to prooftext Mormonism to death, which has the predictable result that the apologists are questioning the motives and honesty of the EVs. It's been particularly amusing to hear Pahoran waxing indignant about anti-Mormon purveyors of hate.

One wonders how long it will be before they retreat back to the CC board and declare that the Mormons are beyond help.

I didn't miss it...... I try not to watch.

Livened things up? We must have different definitions of liveliness. ;)

My brain fuzzes over and my tongue lolls out of my mouth with all the scripture spewing.