Ballard just laid off the entire FARMs group

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

T
his is what bothers me the most about Christianity in general. It's all about the hereafter. Here and now only gets lip service. And Mormons are no different, even though they know better! THIS life is the standard by which we are judged, according to lds.org, yet we spend so few of our resources on this life, it's downright shameful. Our biggest expenditure, the temples, has absolutely nothin to do with this life, yet our humanitarian efforts, which are all about this life are not even 10% of that.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

More proof positive that Harmony has probably never so much as set foot inside an LDS Temple--or chapel--in her entire life. At the very least, her lack of knowledge or understanding of LDS doctrine and practice-approaching vacuity-should be an embarrassment to her. But I dare say people like this can be difficult to embarrass, especially when protected by the all enveloping anonymity of the Internet.

Keep up the pose.
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_Belial

Post by _Belial »

Coggins7 wrote:More proof positive that Harmony has probably never so much as set foot inside an LDS Temple--or chapel--in her entire life. At the very least, her lack of knowledge or understanding of LDS doctrine and practice-approaching vacuity-should be an embarrassment to her. But I dare say people like this can be difficult to embarrass, especially when protected by the all enveloping anonymity of the Internet.

Keep up the pose.

I agree with this villain. We've been trying for years to get all LDS obsessed with material success and focus entirely on the here and now for years. They keep focussing on heaven and by extension, God. It's disgusting. You'd think humans would work more towards their own advantage. If they must have idealism, can they not channel it into humanitarian aid and spend their time trying fruitlessly to build a utopia? This kind of idealism is easily broken and leaves behind a trail of cynics and martyr-complexes as they judge the world.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Coggins7 wrote:

More proof positive that Harmony has probably never so much as set foot inside an LDS Temple--or chapel--in her entire life. At the very least, her lack of knowledge or understanding of LDS doctrine and practice-approaching vacuity-should be an embarrassment to her. But I dare say people like this can be difficult to embarrass, especially when protected by the all enveloping anonymity of the Internet.

Keep up the pose.

Just wanted to say hi to Coggins! *waves*
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:

Keep up the pose.

Don't encourage him!
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Mercury wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:

Keep up the pose.

Don't encourage him!

Oops too late! *duct tapes keyboard again*
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

Coggins7 wrote:More proof positive that Harmony has probably never so much as set foot inside an LDS Temple

Unless they've drastically changed the temple ceremony in the past year, there aren't any explicit references to charitable donations given to the outsiders and plenty of explicit references about giving to the Church (that's vague enough for this forum, right?).

Coggins7 wrote:At the very least, her lack of knowledge or understanding of LDS doctrine and practice-approaching vacuity-should be an embarrassment to her. But I dare say people like this can be difficult to embarrass, especially when protected by the all enveloping anonymity of the Internet.

Keep up the pose.

Speaking of doctrine and practice, have you forgotten how often Ezra Taft Benson used to advocate abolishing the welfare program and the Foreign Aid program?
"reason and religion are friends and allies" - Mitt Romney
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Coggins7 wrote:T
his is what bothers me the most about Christianity in general. It's all about the hereafter. Here and now only gets lip service. And Mormons are no different, even though they know better! THIS life is the standard by which we are judged, according to lds.org, yet we spend so few of our resources on this life, it's downright shameful. Our biggest expenditure, the temples, has absolutely nothin to do with this life, yet our humanitarian efforts, which are all about this life are not even 10% of that.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Keep up the pose.

Dang it, and I've got to go back in December when the youngest gets married. You need to get on the horn to my SP, Coggins. Tell him what you think you know! Oh wait... he's a good friend of mine so he won't listen to you. Try my bishop... oh wait. He's a good friend of mine too, so he won't listen to you either. Dang it! You've got to tell someone! I know! Call the Prophet! Tell him that Harmony's going to the temple in December! Maybe he'll shut them all down. Or maybe he won't.

And take apart my statement, if you think it's so wrong. I haven't had a good argument in quite some time.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

harmony wrote:Dang it, and I've got to go back in December when the youngest gets married. You need to get on the horn to my SP, Coggins. Tell him what you think you know! Oh wait... he's a good friend of mine so he won't listen to you. Try my bishop... oh wait. He's a good friend of mine too, so he won't listen to you either. Dang it!

Hey harmony, what would you do if rcrocket was your bishop? :-)
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Dr. Shades wrote:
harmony wrote:Dang it, and I've got to go back in December when the youngest gets married. You need to get on the horn to my SP, Coggins. Tell him what you think you know! Oh wait... he's a good friend of mine so he won't listen to you. Try my bishop... oh wait. He's a good friend of mine too, so he won't listen to you either. Dang it!

Hey harmony, what would you do if rcrocket was your bishop? :-)

Move.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Unless they've drastically changed the temple ceremony in the past year, there aren't any explicit references to charitable donations given to the outsiders and plenty of explicit references about giving to the Church (that's vague enough for this forum, right?).

Yes well...uh...the Church does a great many millions of dollars of charitable work each year, and they do it with contributions from other human beings, mostly members of course, but some non-members as well. Therefore, contributing to the Church is, in essence, contributing to the Church's welfare programs. You can also give for specific reasons and for specific purposes, which a short trip to LDS.org will demonstrate.

Speaking of doctrine and practice, have you forgotten how often Ezra Taft Benson used to advocate abolishing the welfare program and the Foreign Aid program?

Really? Benson advocated the abolishment of the Church's welfare program and the Church's disaster aid to foreign countries?
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson