Can you ever lose the constant companionship of the HG?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

asbestosman wrote:This really looks more like a semantics issue than a doctrinal issue. The Holy Ghost clearly is NOT omnipresent in all the works of God. Otherwise the Holy Ghost dwells with Satan in Outer Darkness which is a contradiction of scripture. I really think the omnipresent thing was meant differently than you are interpreting it. Religious is full of many figurative expressions such as burning bosoms (no 3rd degree burns, I swear), the baptism of fire, the armor of God, the fiery darts of tha dversary, angels with wings, and so on. When we speak of the omnipresence of the Holy Ghost, I've always understood that to mean in the sense that He is available for all to enjoy, much like sunlight (unless you're incarcerated / in outer darkness).

Perhaps the Outer Darkness is not one of the works of God, but some kind of a pre-existing repository for the naughty spirit offspring? And one could argue that spirit children are not really "works of God" per se any more than your literal offspring could be considered your work. That part is semantics, I admit it.

But you are not correct about omnipresence being merely a semantic issue. If God is limited to a physical body and is omnipresent only through the Holy Ghost and/or light of Christ, that must mean that either one, or the other, or both are found everywhere simultaneously in the same capacity; no traveling, speed or dispersion would be involved for obvious reasons.
"reason and religion are friends and allies" - Mitt Romney
_Belial

Re: Can you ever lose the constant companionship of the HG?

Post by _Belial »

Mercury wrote:
Belial wrote:
asbestosman wrote:Now, for the sake of argument, let's suppose you're right that the Holy Ghost dwells in everyone even the rebelious. In that case, one can merely argue that although you haven't literally lost The Spirit, you have nevertheless lost your ability to hear the promptings of the Spirit. Perhaps in that sense it would be more accurate to state that someone has become deaf to the spirit, or at least hard of hearing. One might also speak of a person losing their spiritual path, or at least being disoriented as to the path of righteousness.

The anime catman is correct. Cutting someone off from the Spirit is generally easy. Most people don't want it anyways.

Exactly who is the spirit, spirit?

The detested Spirit of God, the least of the Godhead but still part of God. I don't think you've ever met him.
_mentalgymnast

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Belial wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Belial wrote:
asbestosman wrote:Now, for the sake of argument, let's suppose you're right that the Holy Ghost dwells in everyone even the rebelious. In that case, one can merely argue that although you haven't literally lost The Spirit, you have nevertheless lost your ability to hear the promptings of the Spirit. Perhaps in that sense it would be more accurate to state that someone has become deaf to the spirit, or at least hard of hearing. One might also speak of a person losing their spiritual path, or at least being disoriented as to the path of righteousness.

The anime catman is correct. Cutting someone off from the Spirit is generally easy. Most people don't want it anyways.

Exactly who is the spirit, spirit?

The detested Spirit of God, the least of the Godhead but still part of God. I don't think you've ever met him.

You are a hoot there scary dude! Is your avatar a cockroach sprouting little alien leg thingies?

Regards,
MG
_Belial

Post by _Belial »

mentalgymnast wrote:You are a hoot there scary dude! Is your avatar a cockroach sprouting little alien leg thingies?

Regards,
MG

A cockroach???? I have devoured whole nations!!!!!!! Here's a link to the much scarier full-sized picture of me.

http://www.blizzard.com/war3/wallpaper/
_mentalgymnast

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Belial wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:You are a hoot there scary dude! Is your avatar a cockroach sprouting little alien leg thingies?

Regards,
MG

A cockroach???? I have devoured whole nations!!!!!!! Here's a link to the much scarier full-sized picture of me.

http://www.blizzard.com/war3/wallpaper/

OK. A gamer addict. That explains it. Well, have fun there scary dude! It's a good thing we don't have to take anything you say seriously. At first, I thought you were from one of those "principalities of darkness" that the apostle Paul was referring to. Thanks for the head's up.

Regards,
MG
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

mentalgymnast wrote: It's a good thing we don't have to take anything you say seriously. At first, I thought you were from one of those "principalities of darkness" that the apostle Paul was referring to. Thanks for the head's up.

Regards,
MG

He's full of sound and fury; unfortunately he signifies nothing.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Stephen R Covey explained the diference betwen the Holy Ghost and the Light of Christ very well in this talk. It will shed some light on the question you have:

http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=948
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:Stephen R Covey explained the diference betwen the Holy Ghost and the Light of Christ very well in this talk. It will shed some light on the question you have:

Yes, because nothing says SPIRITUAL like a feel good con man pitching self help nonsense.

Covey is a cult leader within a cult.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Belial

Post by _Belial »

mentalgymnast wrote:OK. A gamer addict. That explains it. Well, have fun there scary dude! It's a good thing we don't have to take anything you say seriously. At first, I thought you were from one of those "principalities of darkness" that the apostle Paul was referring to. Thanks for the head's up.

Regards,
MG

I'm both. The picture happened to be convenient. Now get back to sinning.
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

Gazelam wrote:Stephen R Covey explained the diference betwen the Holy Ghost and the Light of Christ very well in this talk. It will shed some light on the question you have:

I have a question? I didn't know.

Covey and McConkie seem to think the Holy Ghost is not omnipresent. That's too bad, because neither of them is a prophet like Joseph F. Smith, who said it is omnipresent. And we all know that when the prophet speaks, the debate is over.
"reason and religion are friends and allies" - Mitt Romney