On the fear of leaving Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

why me wrote:Looking at the photos from one exer site, photos that flip and change before one's eyes, I see happy and smiling faces. Then, as I read the discussion board, I see bitterness mixed with spite and mocking. No happiness is there. Do I want that kind of life? No, thank you.

I am almost sure that the exmos are balanced. But...how can one be sure from the posts? I just can't be sure.

I'm so sorry, Why Me. Is this a better self portrait? More representative of the hellish existence I must surely be living?----

or maybe this better fits the faceless "exer" of your imagination:

From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

why me wrote:Looking at the photos from one exer site, photos that flip and change before one's eyes, I see happy and smiling faces. Then, as I read the discussion board, I see bitterness mixed with spite and mocking. No happiness is there. Do I want that kind of life? No, thank you.

I am almost sure that the exmos are balanced. But...how can one be sure from the posts? I just can't be sure.

If you read MAD and see happiness, then I wouldn't trust you to accurately read an ex-mo bulletin board.
_Belial

Post by _Belial »

harmony wrote:

If you read MAD and see happiness, then I wouldn't trust you to accurately read an ex-mo bulletin board.

Boards like this and the other one tend to attract the angry and hateful of both sides. It's a delightful touch of hell on Earth. Adapt while you can puny mortals, an eternity of being on MAD may await you. Their hell will be more like here.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Looking at the photos from one exer site, photos that flip and change before one's eyes, I see happy and smiling faces. Then, as I read the discussion board, I see bitterness mixed with spite and mocking. No happiness is there. Do I want that kind of life? No, thank you.

Yes, far better to aspire to be like Juliann, Pahoran, DCP, etc etc etc
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: On the fear of leaving Mormonism

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Before I destroyed the shackles keeping me fuzed to the LDS infrastructure I had this fear in the back of my mind. What was I going to use to determine what is right? How will I be able to lead my family? Will I just become a person devoid of meaning and vice?

I would imagine those are common themes.

The short answer is that none of my fears were founded in reality.

As some of my views have modified a person I know who is a counselor my wife and I have visited with assured her that the base ethical and moral values that I had as a full believing LDS would more likely then not remain part of me. In other words I was not going to go out and become an awful hedonistic womanizer if I chose not to worship as a Latter day Saint.

I became more happy, more involved with the world around me and Ethics replaced morals.

Why would ethics replace morals? The two are not mutually exclusive and often overlap.

My life, once ruled by silly rules and pretentious beliefs was replaced by a calm.

Great.

My family is fine,

Wonderful.
even better now that their father does not hold them to silly and useless standards.

Some of them may be silly others may still be quite useful to you.

My love for my wife is not predicated upon stupid formalities.

How odd that it was in the first place. I know of no special formality the LDS predicate their love for their spouses on.
I love my wife and children for who they are and not what a corporation masquerading as a religion dictates to me.

Gee. If that is the only reason you loved them as an active LDS you were really out in left field then.

I found true peace instead of emptyness. I found happiness instead of sadness. I found myself buried under years of repression and second guessing.

Once again I am happy for you. Really. If you are happier then bully for you.

Once you take the leap and latch onto reason there is nothing that can convince me I made the wrong decision. Learning to recognize the techniques of scam artists, debunking myth and analyzing the cost benefit of silly preoccupations led me out. Oh yah, u too shades. Thanks!

Well I have no interest in convincing you any way if what you have now is working fine for you.

I invite the believers on this board to examine what life would be like outside of Mormonism. I can tell you from experience that life is better, more fulfilling and free of the gymnastics neccesary to choke down the whoppers Nibley and his d-list flunkies currently towing the line for MormonCorp

And this is your problem. You seem as interested in leading people out of the Church as missionaries do in leading them in. But guess what dude. Life is just life. And people have to find ways that work for them. What works for you may or may not work for them. Your way may be horrible for them. You are haughty and arrogant in all your postings thinking that your way is so much better. It may be, or it may not be. Ultimately people have the same problems whether they are LDS, atheist, baptist, muslim, etc. Life just happens and there are all sorts of ways to deal with it. If yours works for you great. Why push it on others though?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

And this is your problem. You seem as interested in leading people out of the Church as missionaries do in leading them in. But guess what dude. Life is just life. And people have to find ways that work for them. What works for you may or may not work for them. Your way may be horrible for them. You are haughty and arrogant in all your postings thinking that your way is so much better. It may be, or it may not be. Ultimately people have the same problems whether they are LDS, atheist, baptist, muslim, etc. Life just happens and there are all sorts of ways to deal with it. If yours works for you great. Why push it on others though?

Gee Jason, you agreed to everything I said until I reiterated it. Conflicted and stuck in a situation I wouldn't wish upon my enemies, you are unable to see that your relativism is a form of denial. You see that the LDS church is not what it claims to be yet you still kick against the pricks and keep defending a fraud. When will you take responsiility for your contradiction and remove it from your mind?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Belial wrote:
harmony wrote:

Boards like this and the other one tend to attract the angry and hateful of both sides. It's a delightful touch of hell on Earth. Adapt while you can puny mortals, an eternity of being on MAD may await you. Their hell will be more like here.

Which means that this is our "heaven"? Interesting...

Thanks for the compliment on the board! ;)
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Gee Jason, you agreed to everything I said until I reiterated it. Conflicted and stuck in a situation I wouldn't wish upon my enemies, you are unable to see that your relativism is a form of denial. You see that the LDS church is not what it claims to be yet you still kick against the pricks and keep defending a fraud. When will you take responsiility for your contradiction and remove it from your mind?

No I did not agree I said I was happy for you if you felt better off without it. I also questioned a few of your comments. Please read again.

As for defending, there is some I defend and some I don't.

The reason I do not remove it totally from my mind is because I just don't want to. I have noted before that I like religion in my life for many reasons and for now the LDS Church meets that need just fine.
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

Jason Bourne wrote:The reason I do not remove it totally from my mind is because I just don't want to. I have noted before that I like religion in my life for many reasons and for now the LDS Church meets that need just fine.

I like that you're honest with yourself. I wish more people were like that; more specifically, the people in the Church. Hopefully, Merc recognizes that what works for some may not work for everybody and leaves you alone.
"reason and religion are friends and allies" - Mitt Romney
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Zoidberg wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:The reason I do not remove it totally from my mind is because I just don't want to. I have noted before that I like religion in my life for many reasons and for now the LDS Church meets that need just fine.

I like that you're honest with yourself. I wish more people were like that; more specifically, the people in the Church. Hopefully, Merc recognizes that what works for some may not work for everybody and leaves you alone.

Many thanks.