Are you an eight-cow woman?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Belial

Post by _Belial »

In hell the going price for a woman is as follows:

Adulteress: One Hell Hound
Murderer: Two Hell Hounds
Gossip: One lb of sulfur (supply and demand)
Whore: Two obsidian bars
Liar: Five Hell Bunnies
Vain Woman who looks good: One Cockatrice
Vain Woman who looks hideous: One Dragon
Relief Society President: 50 lbs of jello
Single Mothers: Free
Divorced Bitter Women: Unknown, no one has ever tried to buy one.

We don't use cows here.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Would I be showing my Gentile colors if I asked what Johnny Lingo is?
_Belial

Post by _Belial »

CaliforniaKid wrote:Would I be showing my Gentile colors if I asked what Johnny Lingo is?

Yes, yes, you would. Stay ignorant my friend. No good can come of binding yourself to the happiness the LDS Church offers.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Kid,

I think you ought to see if you can find a copy of it to view. It represents part of Mormon culture that might help a never-mo understand us a bit better.

Mormons produce these cheesy, sappy, B-rated religious videos and reveal something about themselves when they do so.

Have you ever seen Man's Search for Happiness? That's another must-see for a never-mo. Cypher in the Snow is another one I saw a gazillion times.

Ok, I just thought of the penultimate Mormon movie you must see. "Like Unto Us" - it was a series created for seminary and young adults. You gotta see it!!!!
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Kid,

I think you ought to see if you can find a copy of it to view. It represents part of Mormon culture that might help a never-mo understand us a bit better.

Mormons produce these cheesy, sappy, B-rated religious videos and reveal something about themselves when they do so.

Have you ever seen Man's Search for Happiness? That's another must-see for a never-mo. Cypher in the Snow is another one I saw a gazillion times.

Ok, I just thought of the penultimate Mormon movie you must see. "Like Unto Us" - it was a series created for seminary and young adults. You gotta see it!!!!
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

What you really gotta see, Kid, is Saturday's Warrior. Invite some friends over. This movie has unlimited mocking potential.
"reason and religion are friends and allies" - Mitt Romney
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

beastie wrote:The LDS church has practically made a cult out of family.

Yes, but they've made a cult out of one, historically recent model of family relations. Human beings have organized their clan relations along many lines and developed many models, in fact, history not being over, human beings are still creating new versions to fit new circumstances.

The bourgeois patriarchal family of mid-to-late 19C Europe has probably been made a tad more authoritarian under Mormonism, but its basically the same model developed to meet the needs of Euro-capitalism at the tail end of the Industrial Revolution (it's "benefits" were never extended to working class peoples who continued to live in whatever arrangements they could muster as their circumstances were constantly torn apart and remolded at the whim of "society"). It is this social and economic unit that "The Family" Mormonism worships is grounded in, not some divine, nor Biblical, nor Abrahamic fantasy.

Its always useful, I think, to remember the roots of the word "famly." It derives from "familia" the Roman term for household slaves.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Yes, I agree, blixa - the modern LDS church hasn't even made a cult out of family as it was originally conceived in Joseph Smith' Mormonism (polygamy with largely absent fathers), either. It's made a cult out of the popularized notion of family that was peddled in the fifties.

Penn & Teller

_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

beastie wrote:Yes, I agree, blixa - the modern LDS church hasn't even made a cult out of family as it was originally conceived in Joseph Smith' Mormonism (polygamy with largely absent fathers), either. It's made a cult out of the popularized notion of family that was peddled in the fifties.

So in the future, the family model they worship will either change (to include gay couples, for instance) or they'll abandon all this family worship? Which do you think it will be? I'd say the former, what with eternal marriage and all. Of course, the eternal marriage doctrine might also change.
"reason and religion are friends and allies" - Mitt Romney
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

What I find so funny is that the LDS ideal marriage/family is as far from a 50's family as could be.