And the new apostle is white and delightsome

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

And the new apostle is white and delightsome

Post by _Zoidberg »

I actually had my money on a minority.

Of course, it doesn't mean anything, but I must say that's not what I expected.
"reason and religion are friends and allies" - Mitt Romney
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: And the new apostle is white and delightsome

Post by _Mercury »

Zoidberg wrote:I actually had my money on a minority.

that's two shots on the General Conference drinking game.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

Bio:

Elder Quentin L. Cook was sustained as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy on April 4, 1998. He served in the Second Quorum of the Seventy from April 1996 through April 1998. As a member of the Presidency of the Seventy, he has supervisory responsibility for the North America Southeast Area.

Elder Cook has served as Executive Director of the Missionary Department and as President of the North America Northwest and Pacific Island Areas. He also served as a counselor in the Philippines/Micronesia Area Presidency.

He received a bachelor's degree in political science from Utah State University and a doctor of jurisprudence degree from Stanford University. At the time of his call as a General Authority, he was vice chairman of Sutter Health System. He had previously served as president and chief executive officer of California Healthcare System. Prior to that, he was a managing partner of Carr, McClellan, Ingersoll, Thompson and Horn, a San Francisco Bay area law firm.

Elder Cook also served as a full-time missionary in the British Mission and as a bishop, stake president's counselor, stake president, regional representative, and Area Seventy.

Quentin LaMar Cook was born in Logan, Utah, USA, on September 8, 1940. He married Mary Gaddie in November 1962. Elder and Sister Cook have three children and nine grandchildren. http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/m ... 6f620a____
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. I'm sure Elder Cook will be as good an Apostle as any of the others (which isn't holding the bar very high), but I was hoping for some diversity... of thought, of background, of education... of something.

Geez, how disappointing.
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

harmony wrote:

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. I'm sure Elder Cook will be as good an Apostle as any of the others (which isn't holding the bar very high), but I was hoping for some diversity... of thought, of background, of education... of something.

Geez, how disappointing.

Yet another lawyer. BY would be pissed.
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Cook at Stanford

Post by _Trevor »

Well, he did go to Stanford, which seems like a nod to the importance of substantive education, and shows some kind of contact with other perspectives.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

As you would expect, the new apostle and counselor are both white and from North America, and male, once again affirming the promised race, the promised land, the male priesthood of Mormonism. No surprises. Nothing to see here, at all.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

I want to fly!
_Zoidberg
_Emeritus

Post by _Zoidberg »

thestyleguy wrote:is this him?

http://www.lamarcook.com/aboutme.htm

LOL. This guy sure sounds like he could be a GA, having just written a book with a very original title The Journey of Life.

What kind of a middle name is LaMar, anyway? Especially with such weird capitalization.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

The Dude wrote:As you would expect, the new apostle and counselor are both white and from North America, and male, once again affirming the promised race, the promised land, the male priesthood of Mormonism. No surprises. Nothing to see here, at all.

Of course's male. It's not like women need apply. In the land of opportunity and freedom, where discrimination is unlawful, women are still discriminated against in the Mormon church. And will continue to be until society pushes the church to ordain women (which is highly unlikely, since no one is pushing the Catholic church either). Those who are in power stay in power. Nothing new under the sun.