Proof that you can't see buried treasures in hats???

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Proof that you can't see buried treasures in hats???

Post by _beastie »

I'm enamored with some posts on a MAD thread:

http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index. ... 818&st=160

First, Hammer lays down the gauntlet:

You must give us proof that you can't find buried treasure from looking into a hat. In fact, I could if it were expedient that I do so, or are you denying that all things are possible through the Lord Jesus Christ?

DCP continues:

There were lots and lots of money diggers in Joseph Smith's environment. It was a rather common practice in the culture of the day. Does Jaybear really wish to argue that they were all either liars or insane? Can he provide evidence to sustain such a charge? Much has been written about the culture of money-digging. Do scholars who have written on the topic share Jaybear's simplistic judgment on the topic?

My simple question: are these people insane?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

And, for Who Knows -

THIS is when beliefs become ridiculous.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

Sorry to be an echo. I just mentioned on the other thread about Hammer's beauty of a comment that I would like to introduce him to James Randi. Go to YouTube and search his work, he debunks the scientologists, the fortune tellers, the dowsers, all sort of hoaxes, like Uri Geller and the likes. He would have had a field day with Joseph Smith if they had been born in the same time frame.

Thanx for your posts.
I think it would be morally right to lie about your religion to edit the article favorably.
bcspace
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

As usual, it is up to the critics to disprove a rediculous claim. You know what, I can crap gold nuggets. Now prove I can't. by the way, I am not required to show anyone these gold nuggets, but I do have a signed statement from my business partners, friends, and family members that says they saw the gold nuggets. You have 60 days to prove I can't crap gold nuggets. Now get started.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Proof that you can't see buried treasures in hats???

Post by _Jersey Girl »

beastie wrote:I'm enamored with some posts on a MAD thread:

http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index. ... 818&st=160

First, Hammer lays down the gauntlet:

You must give us proof that you can't find buried treasure from looking into a hat. In fact, I could if it were expedient that I do so, or are you denying that all things are possible through the Lord Jesus Christ?

DCP continues:

There were lots and lots of money diggers in Joseph Smith's environment. It was a rather common practice in the culture of the day. Does Jaybear really wish to argue that they were all either liars or insane? Can he provide evidence to sustain such a charge? Much has been written about the culture of money-digging. Do scholars who have written on the topic share Jaybear's simplistic judgment on the topic?

My simple question: are these people insane?

Okay...okay...I don't know if this was intended for serious treatment or not. I'll give it a go...

1. Hammers demand is for proof of a negative. I suppose you could prove that the hat method fails were you to conduct a series of experiments.

2. DCP's remarks are ...well, I can't think of an appropriate descritpor. Is he attempting to forward the concept money digging as a valid practice? My Magic 8 Ball says..."Try again".
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

They will defend the hat-trick even if you compare it to a metal detector and ask which is better. I mean, look at all those silly US servicemen searching for mines and WMDs with 21st century metal detectors, while they have perfectly good hats just sitting there on top of their heads.

What a fool!
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I guess y'all missed Her Amun's thread comparing Joseph Smith to migrant workers (um, because they most resemble Joseph Smith's "situation" as a youth, you know uneducated and doing back breaking manual labor round the clock).

Its filled with gen-U-ine He-Lar-i-tee like Her Amun's warning, "I'm Puerto Rican on both sides, so don't even tiry to play the race card with me. I'm brown and I'm down!" (Uh, fine, you pretty much threw those cards all over the table yourself) and DCP chiming in with a defense of how you can judge people's abilities and potential from photographs of them (...must keep...self...from playing...donut card....).
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I've read some more on the thread, and it appears both Hammer and DCP meant their comments seriously. DCP clarified on a later post:

Jaybear:
Tell me Dan, do you think Joseph Smith could see buried treasure by looking at rock in his hat?

DCP:
Some of those who knew him well testified in court, under oath, that he could indeed find things by miraculous means. He and his father seem in fact to have genuinely believed that he had a gift. Rather like the prophet Samuel in the Old Testament, I suppose.

Jaybear:
Was the rock magic? Surely it must have been the rock,

DCP:
First of all, I don't -- for reasons that I've published -- use the term magic. Second, the power was not simplistically in the rock, since there are also stories about Joseph being unable to function because he needed to apologize to Emma for a slight. Thus, clearly, his own mental or spiritual state was relevant.

in my opinion - if you're a believing Mormon, you really do have to accept that Joseph Smith saw buried treasures in a rock in a hat to be consistent. It's just rare to see them admit it.

Because, of course, they look ridiculous doing so. Seeing buried treasures in a hat is no longer cloaked enough in "RELIGION" to turn off the "ridiculous" reaction.

Penn & Teller

_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Oh, lordie, this thread is great and reminds me of why I still visit MAD now and then.

Will is now saying that Jaybear inappropriately used the term "plagiarized" for Joseph Smith including the Isaiah passages in the Book of Mormon:

Jaybear: defining plagiarized as requested:
Placing any portion of the text of KJV translation of Isiah in the Book of Mormon, while purporting that the Book of Mormon's was an original translation of Isiah from ancient plates.

Will:
The dictionary definition of "plagiarize":

to steal and pass off the ideas or words of another as one's own

Mmmm .........

Does anyone else see a problem here?

Why, yes, Will, I see a problem. (must...not...mock....)

Penn & Teller

_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

They will defend the hat-trick even if you compare it to a metal detector and ask which is better. I mean, look at all those silly US servicemen searching for mines and WMDs with 21st century metal detectors, while they have perfectly good hats just sitting there on top of their heads.

LOL! So this actually occurred on a thread? The comparison between a metal detector and the hat trick??? My god, I must read MAD more often. I am missing mass amounts of entertainment in life.

I guess y'all missed Her Amun's thread comparing Joseph Smith to migrant workers (um, because they most resemble Joseph Smith's "situation" as a youth, you know uneducated and doing back breaking manual labor round the clock).

Its filled with gen-U-ine He-Lar-I-tee like Her Amun's warning, "I'm Puerto Rican on both sides, so don't even tiry to play the race card with me. I'm brown and I'm down!" (Uh, fine, you pretty much threw those cards all over the table yourself) and DCP chiming in with a defense of how you can judge people's abilities and potential from photographs of them (...must keep...self...from playing...donut card....).

Ah, so you're the one who subliminally made me say must...not... mock... You're such a bad influence.

Her Amun is always entertaining.

Shoot, if only I didn't have to work tomorrow. I want to stay up finishing the thread, but alas, it shall have to wait.

Penn & Teller