The Earth is Flat and the LDS church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

The Earth is Flat and the LDS church

Post by _truth dancer »

I recently read, Friedman's, The World is Flat.

One particular section caught my attention as it, in my opinion relates to the LDS church.

Friedmans is of course speaking about what companies, organizations, and even individuals must do to survive in the "flat world."

Speaking of the need for honesty...

From page 468 quoting Siedman, "Companies used to be monologists... Now we are in a world of two-way dialogue. When I want to go to a resort, or buy an appliance or read a book, I check the reader reviews, where consumers compare notes. And I will put more trust in those than anything a company says about itself. Customers can not only talk back, they can look into the very workings of your business and decide if you conduct yourself in a way they approve of. In this world, your reputation will be the sum total of all your conduct and interactions, which will now be so much more measurable by outsiders."

Consumers' insights into the how of your business will affect not only who comes in your door to shop but also who wants to collaborate with you. And in the flat world, your company's ability to inspire trust is everything. If your business partners are on the other side of the world, and from a different culture, and if you and they have never met, the fact that you've developed a reputation for behaving ethically is critical. They will give you the benefit of the doubt. But you have to earn that trust one interaction at a time."

Another quote... discussing the difference in successful companies and those not successful in the flat world..."The difference among them lies in "how they treat their colleagues, customers, suppliers, and investors," says Seidman. "If your interactions with others deliver a more meaningful customer experience, if you deal more consistently, openly, and honestly with your suppliers and investors, and more decently with your employees, you engender loyalty that brings them all back and trust that enables greater collaboration."

On page 454 he talks about companies that are hierarchal and patriarchal... they are going the way of the dinosaur. :-)

Speaking of the need for organizations to move into the flat world...

On page 380, "..it is hard to look in the mirror and tell itself it is in a not-so-quiet crisis and better start to make a new history. No institution will go through fundamental change unless it believes it is in deep trouble and needs to do something different to survive."

I wonder if the church realizes it is in a crisis? Or is the fact that so many people are letting go of belief just a sign of the times? Or Satan winning?

As I read the book, I kept thinking about how the church seems to be digging in... trying to hold onto a world that is no longer our world. :-) It seems oblivious to what is going on... thinking that the old way of doing business will continue to work. It is pouring millions of dollars into its PR but doesn't seem to get that this technique is not going to work as it once did. People are too smart, information is too accessible, and what worked for many people 60 or 70 years ago just doesn't fit into this flat world of ours. The world is not the same world it was decades ago.

Today, people want honesty! They do not like being lied to, deceived, or manipulated! They are not quite as willing to give money and time to an organization that is not filled with integrity. Much of the world is honoring the unique gifts and talents of women, moving away from the patriarchal subservient nonsense! The whole idea of a one and only way.. (dress, food and drink choices, beliefs, culture) is largely disappearing in those that are embracing the flat earth!

It will be interesting to see if the church will change and adapt. On the one hand, they could easily afford to hire the best of the best to help move the organization into this century, OTOH, they seem soooooooo unbelievably set in their ways.

Hmmm...

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

in my opinion, the leaders will realize, in about 30 years, that we have entered into this new era called the "information age".

They will need to change the strategy from fear of criticisms to innoculation.
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo