Need Help - Having Issues (geeks?!)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Need Help - Having Issues (geeks?!)

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

New issues! ;)

I know this has nothing to do with LDS. I have nothing to do with LDS! :D

But anyway....

I'm having severe connection problems. I stayed over at a hotel for a few nights and connected on their wireless. When I got home I had to change the wireless network connection back to my home one but I lose my connection about every 3 minutes and have to open up "choose a wireless connection" thing and reconnect. This is rather infuriating.

Is there something I should do? I need to buy a new laptop but I spent all my spare change on clothes and books. So I'm sort of screwed there.

Anyone have any suggestions?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Go into Control Panel and Network settings. Right-click on your wireless network and click properties. Go into the Wireless Networks tab. Any network EXCEPT your home network that has automatic in parenthesis after it select and click properties. Under the connection tab, uncheck the Connect when this network is in range box.

I suspect you have a wireless network within range of your computer with a high priority for connecting. Your computer thinks you want to connect to it so it shuts down your home connection and attempts to connect. This should solve the problem (if that is the problem).
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Ah, okey dokey....... trying that now. Will report back. Thanks Nehor!

You're a dear.

:)
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

ahahaaa... I have like 5 connections in there with (automatic) after them... eep. Wonder how I did that?

Sheesh.... I wonder which one is the correct one? okay, trying it now.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Success! All is well again. :)

Thanks Nehor. I owe you one!
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

barrelomonkeys wrote:ahahaaa... I have like 5 connections in there with (automatic) after them... eep. Wonder how I did that?

Sheesh.... I wonder which one is the correct one? okay, trying it now.

Did you name your network when you set it up?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

barrelomonkeys wrote:Success! All is well again. :)

Thanks Nehor. I owe you one!

Glad to help, I've had the same issue when I travelled a lot with my laptop and had to use all kinds of networks. Got adept at it.......I'm not really a computer geek.....more of a general geek.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Need Help - Having Issues (geeks?!)

Post by _Mercury »

barrelomonkeys wrote:New issues! ;)

I know this has nothing to do with LDS. I have nothing to do with LDS! :D

But anyway....

I'm having severe connection problems. I stayed over at a hotel for a few nights and connected on their wireless. When I got home I had to change the wireless network connection back to my home one but I lose my connection about every 3 minutes and have to open up "choose a wireless connection" thing and reconnect. This is rather infuriating.

Is there something I should do? I need to buy a new laptop but I spent all my spare change on clothes and books. So I'm sort of screwed there.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Was it a Hilton Hotels connection? If so, there is no way it was the network...it has to be the PC at fault :)

tee hee.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Liz, it's my "HOME" network that I left available... and that one appears to be working. For now! I hope it continues to.

Thanks again Nehor.

Merc, It wasn't. ;)