We have a winner

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_christopher
_Emeritus

We have a winner

Post by _christopher »

For those wondering about the future of the LDS church, it's member base or it's apologetics (or even the need to delve into topics with some people).....we have a winner from the old FAIR board in a poster named Hammer.

Asked the question by:

LifeOnaPlate @ Nov 26 2007, 10:39 PM) *
You spoke face to face with Joseph Smith?
Answer by Hammer"
Sorry I really didn't mean to just blurt something this sacred to me out like 'stuff' you know. But I hate it when others think they had what I have and then just threw it away. I could never do that, coming from where I am.

and yes I have.
The guy thinks he spoke face to face with Joseph Smith.

Just WOW...........

Chris <><
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

The thing about Hammer is that he seems to be absolutely sincere. I don't doubt that he believes what he says. I may think he's nuts, but I won't mock him for his beliefs.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_MishMagnet
_Emeritus

Post by _MishMagnet »

I've seen him be such a jerk to people. It's hard to believe he's sincere in such a spiritual experience.
Insert ironic quote from fellow board member here.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

We all see what we want to see, or expect to see, and disregard the rest.
_Trinity
_Emeritus

Post by _Trinity »

Oh, he's sincere all right. Sincerely mentally disturbed.
"I think one of the great mysteries of the gospel is that anyone still believes it." Sethbag, MADB, Feb 22 2008
_christopher
_Emeritus

Post by _christopher »

Runtu wrote:The thing about Hammer is that he seems to be absolutely sincere. I don't doubt that he believes what he says. I may think he's nuts, but I won't mock him for his beliefs.
Maybe that's the bigger question on something like this. I think it safe to assume that he actually has not talked face to face with Smith. That leaves us with he's a liar to self aggrandize himself, or he is nuts. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is not purposely lying. When is someones' delusions so great that they get called on it, if not for their health for others they spew to?

It reminds me of an article written about Romney. The author said religion shouldn't normally matter in ones choice for president, but sometimes (like the case of Mormonism) the beliefs are so far out there that they do become a factor.

Chris <><
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

MishMagnet wrote:I've seen him be such a jerk to people. It's hard to believe he's sincere in such a spiritual experience.
So have I. One can be a sincere jerk, can't one? ;)
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Isn't it interesting how spiritual experiences don't necessarily make you any more spiritual?

(Growing up in the church I'd always been taught the exact opposite, but when the rubber meets the road I guess the truth comes out.)
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

OMG! Usually I just dismiss Hammer. He just called me "sweety" on MAD and I'm pissed off. It really irritates me. Ack!

*deep breaths*

*deep breaths*

Whew. He finally pushed a button of mine. Bravo for him. Ack!
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Runtu wrote:
MishMagnet wrote:I've seen him be such a jerk to people. It's hard to believe he's sincere in such a spiritual experience.
So have I. One can be a sincere jerk, can't one? ;)
I don't think he's always sincere. I've been incredibly kind, gentle, and forgiving of most everything Hammer has ever said to me. I'm of Satan, etc... I've conversed with him on evolution repeatedly, thanked him for sharing his spiritual whatever with me, etc... When he wants to WIN he starts throwing punches. That's not sincerity --- that is a temper tantrum where he must insult people because he hasn't the ability to use reason in an argument.