We have a winner

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

Defeated sorry... It means a bit like lost.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

christopher wrote:
Runtu wrote:The thing about Hammer is that he seems to be absolutely sincere. I don't doubt that he believes what he says. I may think he's nuts, but I won't mock him for his beliefs.
Maybe that's the bigger question on something like this. I think it safe to assume that he actually has not talked face to face with Smith. That leaves us with he's a liar to self aggrandize himself, or he is nuts. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is not purposely lying....
Hammer could be a pious fraud, couldn't he? Is that better or worse than nuts?
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

I can believe that Hammer saw Joseph Smith.

I just don't believe that he was there.
I think it would be morally right to lie about your religion to edit the article favorably.
bcspace
_christopher
_Emeritus

Post by _christopher »

The Dude wrote:
christopher wrote: Maybe that's the bigger question on something like this. I think it safe to assume that he actually has not talked face to face with Smith. That leaves us with he's a liar to self aggrandize himself, or he is nuts. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is not purposely lying....
Hammer could be a pious fraud, couldn't he? Is that better or worse than nuts?
My thoughts on the pious fraud are that they start out with a conscious lie, but later convince themselves of it's truth. Either way, a deliberate lie is involved.

Though my current personal belief is that Joseph Smith was a bull-s*** artist and hound from the beginning to the end, I can see where some would believe he fit the pious fraud model.

Chris <><

[MODERATOR NOTE: Please do not use the "S" word, or any of its variants, in the Terrestrial Forum.]
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

moksha wrote:
Gazelam wrote:In a case like this you have to apply the "What is its purpose test".

The question is "Why would Joseph Smith need to make a personal appearance to Hammer ?"

What vital piece of information did Hammer need that an angel akin to Gabriel or Raphael would need to personally appear and deliver?
May to mellow out and knock off those Insults for the Lord?
You are correct Moksha.

But the actual phrase used was "Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em"

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re:

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

_Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:08 pm
Defeated sorry... It means a bit like lost.
Omg. Laughing. Sorry nehor.... I gave you a hard time it seems. :lol:

Gosh. When I was at uni, I think I was a bit deranged. Seriously. I genuinely took everything so literal. And I spent a lot of time confused. I actually started taking English classes whilst at uni.

Not sure I should have gone down this worm hole. Think actually I was very lonely and very depressed when I was posting random stuff on here years ago.
Moksha
God

Re:

Post by Moksha »

_Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:07 pm
I heard that Mormons are not allowed to have revelations for anyone other than themselves and their family.
Especially if it ends in telling others to repent or hand over their teenage daughter. No need to repeat crazy incidents from the past.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Re:

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Nehor (one of the Church's biggest online defenders for the last 20 years) just made a very shocking admission about how miserable he is as a member of the Church. Sad.
The Nehor wrote:Posted Monday at 11:03 PM

I am pretty miserable in the gospel. Threatening me with misery for leaving just doesn’t really work that well as a threat.
https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/75 ... 1210178122
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:44 am
Nehor (one of the Church's biggest online defenders for the last 20 years) just made a very shocking admission about how miserable he is as a member of the Church. Sad.
I am pretty miserable in the gospel. Threatening me with misery for leaving just doesn’t really work that well as a threat.
No surprise...... I wish Nehor well.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:44 am

One of the posters named Carbon Dioxide is my proof of the pure brainwashing power of Mormonism and its cult group think psychology they mesmerize members with.
If a man bashes his head against a concrete wall continually, does it hurt me? I have not lost anything. When people leave the church, they are not hurting the Church. The church is simply a vehicle that God has give us so that we can return to him. When a person leaves the church, all they have done is spiritually blow themselves up. They need the church to accomplish everything they wanted for billions of years in the premortal world.
Yeah, the church is exactly what came to earth through a virgin, lived a perfect life was crucified and died for all sins so as to get us back to God......er....... wait. No need for a person, a corporate organization is the only true way to salvation. The church is the way, the truth, and the light just like it said in the New Testament...... :roll: