Why I no longer trust DCP

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Jason Bourne wrote:
dartagnan wrote:Jason, have you contacted Dan yet?

I got his excuse for not responding to me, but would he respond to you?

No I did not try to contact him on this. I doubt I could get him to come here to discuss this.

No wonder. It's certainly not in his vested interest to discuss this, so no one should be surprised that he's not.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

No, but he might answer your inquiry in private email, and then you could share with us whatever refutation he provides.

I'm open for correction as always, but there is only so much silence I can take before I'm compelled to interpret it as something else; he doesn't answer because he is wrong.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

dartagnan wrote:No, but he might answer your inquiry in private email, and then you could share with us whatever refutation he provides.

I'm open for correction as always, but there is only so much silence I can take before I'm compelled to interpret it as something else; he doesn't answer because he is wrong.

Well, I tried to bring your post to his attention on another thread, but he was more interested in trading barbs with Scratch than in actually addressing your post.

Sorry, Dart.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

harmony wrote:
dartagnan wrote:No, but he might answer your inquiry in private email, and then you could share with us whatever refutation he provides.

Well, I tried to bring your post to his attention on another thread, but he was more interested in trading barbs with Scratch than in actually addressing your post.

Sorry, Dart.

I also tried to get DCP to engage in substantive discussion on this issue of "LDS academic embarrassment," but The Good Professor opted for ad hominems instead, which I found very telling.
_solomarineris
_Emeritus

Re: Why I no longer trust DCP

Post by _solomarineris »

dartagnan wrote:I know there are plenty other examples, but here are a few I had saved on my notebook. Keep in mind the typical exhortation to allow Muslims to tell us what Islam really is. DCP isn't a Muslim, last I checked.

Dan Peterson: "Islam did not spread by the sword..."

Muslim Imam: "The evidence clearly indicates that the sword is one of the most important means that led to the spread of Islam." (http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ln=en ... 3087&dgn=3)

Daniel Peterson: "…it was amazingly bloodless in many cases, when they invaded Egypt, for example, the Egyptians were so mad at the Byzantines that an Egyptian went down and opened the gates at Cairo…and let the Muslims come in, and let the Arab armies come in because they wanted to get out from under the Byzantines."

Historical Coptic account: "They killed and imprisoned many Christians. They captured Egypt and went to the City of Alexandria (now Cairo), around which there were six hundred inhabited monasteries. They killed all the inhabitants, plundered their possessions, and destroyed the monasteries. When the people of Alexandria heard what they had done, because of their fear, they opened the gates of the city for them...the Persian King went with his army to Upper Egypt. He passed by the city of Nikios. He heard that there were some seven hundred monks living in cells and caves around it. He sent men to kill them. He continued to kill and destroy until Emperor Heraclius conquered him and drove him out of Egypt." (Coptic Diary, Tubah 8:2)

Amazingly bloodless, eh?

Daniel Peterson: "The Muslims did not force conversions."

Muslim Imam: "The Qur'an tells us that Muhammad (sws) was not only a Prophet (nabi) but also a messenger (Rasu'l) of Allah. The Qur'an tells us that when Allah sends His messenger in a people, these people are not allowed to live on Allah's earth if they reject the messenger." (http://www.understanding-islam.com/rela ... id=1768%20)

"Authorities are of the opinion that Muslims must fight the polytheist nations as well as the Jews and Christians of today until they subdue them. It is further held that while the polytheist nations must be put to death if they do not accept faith, the Jews and Christians can be allowed to live on their religions if they submit to Muslim authority by paying Jizyah." (http://www.renaissance.com.pk/mar_d2y2.html)

Daniel Peterson: "[if you were under Islamic rule] you can maintain your religion and maintain a slightly higher tax rate."
Coptic Bishop John: "And the Moslem took possession of all the land of Egypt, southern and northern, and tripled their taxes."

One hadith speaks of the dhimmi tax burden being twice that which was imposed on Muslims.(Malik ibn Anas, Muwatta’ Imam Malik, translated by Muhammad Rahimuddin, 2000 ch. 177, no. 661) An increase of 100%-200% is what Peterson calls "slightly higher"?

Daniel Peterson: "Islam has been more tolerant on minority religions than Christianity has been."

Jewish Historian, Cecil Roth: "Only in Rome has the colony of Jews continued its existence since before the beginning of the Christian era, because of all the dynasties of Europe, the Papacy not only refused to persecute the Jews of Rome and Italy, but throughout the ages popes were protectors of the Jews…The truth is that the popes and the Catholic Church from the earliest days of the Church were never responsible for physical persecution of Jews and only Rome, among the capitals of the world, is free from having been a place of Jewish tragedy. For this we Jews must have gratitude." (Lecture Feb. 25th, 1927).

Daniel Peterson: "Armed struggle in the Quran and in the traditional teachings of Muhammad is not to be lightly entered into-certainly not in an offensive posture and only in self-defense when in imminent physical danger... [the abode of war] is the war against such things as materialism, immorality, exploitation of women, and anything that can tempt a Muslim to forget his God."

Bernard Lewis: "The overwhelming majority of early authorities, citing the relevant passages in the Quran, the commentaries, and the traditions of the Prophet, discuss jihad in military terms. According to Islamic law, it is lawful to wage war against four types of enemies: infidels, apostates, rebels, and bandits. Although all four types of wars are legitimate, only the first two count as jihad. Jihad is thus a religious obligation...In Muslim tradition, the world is divided into two houses: the House of Islam, in which Muslim governments rule and Muslim law prevails, and the House of War, the rest of the world, still inhabited and, more important, ruled by infidels. The presumption is that the duty of jihad will continue, interrupted only by truces, until all the world either adopts the Muslims faith or submits to Muslim rule. Those who fight in the jihad qualify for rewards in both worlds - booty in this one, paradise in the next." (p.32)

For most of the recorded history of Islam, from the lifetimes of the Prophet Muhammad onward, the word jihad was used in a primarily military sense. (p.33)

Jihad is sometimes presented as the Muslim equivalent of the Crusade, and the two are seen as more or less equivalent...But there is a difference. The Crusade is a late development in Christian history and, in a sense, marks a radical departure from basic Christian values as expressed in the Gospels. Christendom had been under attack since the seventh century, and had lost vast territories to Muslim rule; the concept of a holy war, more commonly, a just war, was familiar since antiquity. Yet in the long struggle between Islam and Christendom, the Crusade was late, limited, and of relatively brief duration. Jihad is present from the beginning of Islamic history - in scripture, in the life of the Prophet, and in the actions of his companions and immediate successors. It has continued throughout Islamic history and retains its appeal to the present day.(p.37)

Excellent post

Most of DCP's readers are his peers and few gullible people who would swallow anything
he regurgitates. His knowledge about Islam is as reliable as one would read Goebbels to
get information about Third Reich.
There's a very good reason for DCP to kiss the asses of every Islamic scholar he can find;
Most of these guys are in the business of so called "Cultural Exchange" "Ancient Documents Research".
Believe it or not pimping Islam comes very handy when you need some access to something hard to
get your hands on to.

So, one might ask, who the f*** I am to make these bold assertions?
Frankly I am nobody important, who happened to grow up in Middle East (as a Christian Minority)
and witnessed first hand the brutality of Islam almost every day of his life. But that is not the best part;
The best part is that more than 85% of my ancestors were wiped out by the sword of Islam.

So, personally, whatever DCP writes about islam isn't even worth to puke on it.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

cough **bump** cough
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_solomarineris
_Emeritus

Post by _solomarineris »

dartagnan wrote:cough **bump** cough

Having said all that, I still like DCP, he is a nice chap.
It's just that he is so successful doing at what he does, you can have him play Bishop
in Mormon Mountain and next day as an an Imam in a faraway place preaching to faithful.
He is that good.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Yea, I like him too. What's not to like?

I just no longer trust him. At least not on this subject.

The difference between Peterson and Gee is that at least Dan really believes the bull he is pushing. I don't sense any intended effort to deceive.

By contrast, Gee strikes me as "an end justifies the means" type of guy.
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

I no longer trust DCP either. Not since he stole an ice cream cone from my daughter and smashed it into the blacktop right in front of her while she sobbed disconsolately. Then he rubbed the end of his mustache between his thumb and index finger and made a hasty exit.

That bastard.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Trevor, all sarcasm aside, I think it is important to point out errors in Dan's scholarship because he is, like it or not, the main figure in LDS apologetics. Scholars of his caliber should be held to higher standards. One cannot tackle the subject without dealing with him head-on. If you try dodging him, then you're no better than the apologists who dwell on the little fish like Decker and Baer, while ignoring the heavyweights like Owen and Blomberg.

I'm not spreading rumors about how Dan tried to run over small children. I'm not interested in threads that attack him based on speculation or scant evidence about what he might have said about someone, who maybe didn't like it.

I am elucidating the reasons why I no longer trust him, particularly on the subject of Islam, and I believe I have solid evidence to prove my points. I'm sharing them again to clear up the situation. So far nobody has been able to refute anything I have said, including Dan. I take his silence as evidence that I am right, because I think I know Dan well enough to know that if he thought he had a valid rebuttal, he wouldn't hesitate to share it with us.