Steve Benson's interview about Mitt

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Steve Benson's interview about Mitt

Post by _truth dancer »

Y'all might be interested in this article:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp ... 1003686826

Steve Benson share his thoughts about Mitt and the LDS church....

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

I agree with Benson, Romney will not win the nomination. Mitt=Mormon is what people see when they hear his name. No one will vote for someone that wears his religion on his sleeve, especially one that is as weird as Mormonism.

I don't even worry about Mitt even coming close to being elected, the more he talks the more he becomes less credible.
If he could distance himself from his religion he would stand a better chance. But that won't happen.
The voters are smart and they will not elect someone that is so tied to their religion.

Hillary and Obama are the stars in this race. Mitt doesn't stand a chance.
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I don't think he'll get the nomination, either. But I also think Benson didn't allow for the fact that some Mormons are more liberal than others in their interpretation of Mormonism. Not everyone that bows their head and says "yes" in the temple does whatever the prophet says.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Livingstone22
_Emeritus

Post by _Livingstone22 »

beastie wrote:I don't think he'll get the nomination, either. But I also think Benson didn't allow for the fact that some Mormons are more liberal than others in their interpretation of Mormonism. Not everyone that bows their head and says "yes" in the temple does whatever the prophet says.
It seems that Steve Benson has a lot of anger and pent-up feelings for those who do. You are quite correct, there are many Mormons who differ one from another--some who are quite liberal or progressive (if I may use those words) like myself who openly but honestly disagree with the prophet and bishop from time to time. And therefore, when someone makes statements of "what Mormons believe," they usually take either the best or worst examples, based on their bias. How can you make a statement on "what Mormons believe" in the first place? There are 14 million different answers.
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

I should not have read the article. I quit posting over at RfM because of people like Benson and SLCabbie, who seem to have a strange litmus test for what makes a true ex-Mormon. Frankly, the guy behaves like a prick over there, and he hardly comes off better in this piece. In fact, I would bet that the reason he seems even the least bit tolerable in this piece is because others were editing him. It is a shame that someone who has offered real insights into the upper echelons of the Mormon hierarchy/royalty can't behave like an adult consistently enough to develop a little gravitas and hence real credibility. Anyone who indulges in rhetoric like "weird Mormon God" in a somewhat serious publication is begging to be dismissed by anyone with an ounce of soberness.

Seems to me that the ex-Mos are lacking in some much-needed PR. I'm not saying the LDS Church does it extremely well, but the Steve Benson show is not the face I would want put on ex-Mormonism.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

I agree with Trevor on this one. I've had a hard time finishing reading anything Benson has written.

I'd like to see Romney win it. I think it is still quite possible. A month ago it was all Guliani and now he is down in the polls. Hillary was also the favorite and now Obama is giving her a run.

Anything can happen.

I think only Romney would have a real chance at beating Hillary or Obama.

The man just looks presidential, and he speaks well.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Steve Benson - Poster Child?

Post by _Inconceivable »

Trevor wrote:I should not have read the article. I quit posting over at RfM because of people like Benson and SLCabbie, who seem to have a strange litmus test for what makes a true ex-Mormon. Frankly, the guy behaves like a prick over there..

..the Steve Benson show is not the face I would want put on ex-Mormonism.
I concur, Trevor. I'm glad I didn't waste my time to read the article.

He never even represented me when he was a Mormon. He was my ward's high councilman back in the day (so I guess you could say he was my representative). A few days after he published the "Book of Moron" cartoon lampooning Mormon Ev Mecham (the soon to be "ex"-governor) he spoke in Sacrament Meeting about being Christlike. Lot's of tension in the room that Sunday as a number of members got up and walked out in protest as he began to speak.

I don't think he really ever fit the LDS template. And certainly I agree he doesn't represent my views from the outside looking in.

oop. Sorry TD, I guess the thread was about Mitt
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

I think the Democrats are going to win. I hope Romney wins just because I think he will make for a much more interesting campaign.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

So far as Romney is concerned...

I think he will be (or has been) a catalist for members and nonmembers alike to finally Google the truth about Mormonism. The longer he stays in (including the presidency), the more destructive he will be to the church he thinks he represents.

I don't trust him. He would be heavily influenced by the hierarchy of power by nature of the Mormon organizational structure.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I don't know why people are making a big deal about Iowa, other than the fact they lead the world in per-capital Jell-O consumption. You would think that alone would put them in Romney's corner.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace