Missionaries & the Internet

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Missionaries & the Internet

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Are they allowed/permitted to be on-line? No TV, no radio, no newspaper... Library computers?? "Happy Holiday!" Roger
_the road to hana
_Emeritus

Re: Missionaries & the Internet

Post by _the road to hana »

Roger Morrison wrote:Are they allowed/permitted to be on-line? No TV, no radio, no newspaper... Library computers?? "Happy Holiday!" Roger

I think they're pretty limited these days, although to what extent I couldn't say. I know older couples who are missionaries are given much freer rein. The garden variety 19-21 year-olds used to be able to access computers for e-mail contact and so forth more a few years ago than they can now.

This fairly recent article in a Michigan daily newspaper seems to indicate that they're not allowed Internet access or telephone.

LINK
The road is beautiful, treacherous, and full of twists and turns.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Thanks Road. According to that article, they don't. I would think not, as they're only 'allowed' phone calls on VERY special, & few occasions.

Happened to see two sit down at computers in a library. Tapped one on the shoulder, he immediately closed the screen, as i asked if he was aware of the FOX News interview, and suggested he check it out. Flustered he said he hadn't. Being in a hurry, i couldn't engage him longer. But, got to wondering?? Roger
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Roger Morrison wrote:Thanks Road. According to that article, they don't. I would think not, as they're only 'allowed' phone calls on VERY special, & few occasions.

Happened to see two sit down at computers in a library. Tapped one on the shoulder, he immediately closed the screen, as I asked if he was aware of the FOX News interview, and suggested he check it out. Flustered he said he hadn't. Being in a hurry, I couldn't engage him longer. But, got to wondering?? Roger

Foreign missionaries have more freedom of access than domestic, I think. When my daughter friend was in Russia a few years ago, they corresponded by email, not letter. The email was supposed to be only for family members, but wouldn't you want your best friend to have your family access?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Missionaries & the Internet

Post by _Mercury »

Roger Morrison wrote:Are they allowed/permitted to be on-line? No TV, no radio, no newspaper... Library computers?? "Happy Holiday!" Roger

We used to volunteer in a library JUST for the internet connection. This was in 2000-2001.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

My understanding is that they're allowed to use a public computer (i.e., library) once per week to email home, but that the companion should always be right there to make sure nothing "bad" is going on. My brother-in-law's brothers communicated this way on their recent missions.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_charity
_Emeritus

Post by _charity »

It may differ mission to mission. The young elders/sisters are not supposed to call family/friends on the phone. It seems that some missions allow them limited e-mail time on p-day. Some don't.

Senior missionary rules are different. E-mail, phone calls all permitted.

I doubt any missions have web surfing to any degree in their allowable activities.
_BishopRic
_Emeritus

Post by _BishopRic »

charity wrote:It may differ mission to mission. The young elders/sisters are not supposed to call family/friends on the phone. It seems that some missions allow them limited e-mail time on p-day. Some don't.

Senior missionary rules are different. E-mail, phone calls all permitted.

I doubt any missions have web surfing to any degree in their allowable activities.

They are also allowed to call home on Christmas and Mother's day. I always thought that was a bit rude to us dad's (no Father's Day calls...)!
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Thanks to all, and to all, "A Happy Holiday With Family, Friends, or in Your Own Good Company!" Warm regards, Roger((((:-)))) (hugs:-)
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

My nephew in the Ukraine gets an hour each P-Day in an Internet café to write e-mail. My niece in New Jersey, on the other hand, has her own blog where she journals and posts photos.

BishopRic wrote:They are also allowed to call home on Christmas and Mother's day. I always thought that was a bit rude to us dad's (no Father's Day calls...)!

It may have changed in the last two decades since I used to attend, but I always thought fathers got the shaft in the church, with barely a mention on Father's Day, while speakers waxed on and on about mothers on Mother's Day (as all the ward's mothers marched up to receive their potted plant gift).

However, now I see it as putting women on a pedestal to make them feel better about not actually having any power in the church hierarchy. How can you be slighted when you're actually in charge of everything?