Response to Rommelator

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Re: Response to Rommelator

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Response to Rom, Part 2:

Gee does have evidence that such a length is not unjustifed. Consider that one of the main objections of Gee is that it is not uncommon for multiple texts to be appended to Egyptian scrolls and thus to be larger in length. [...] Some ancient copies of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, for example, have been found to contain a variety of other non-funerary texts including stories similar to the sacrifice of Abraham (involving different personalities), temple rituals, and more.

Between my math and Seyffarth's testimony, I think we can pretty much exclude the possibility of there having been another text on the Hor roll. But just to humor you, here's a little something I wrote a while back in response to Gee.

Gee wrote,

The Joseph Smith Papyri are generally termed typical funerary documents. Some people assume that if the documents are funerary they cannot contain anything else. Some Book of the Dead papyri, however, do contain other texts. For example, a fragmentary Eighteenth-Dynasty Book of the Dead in Cairo (JE 95575) contains account texts on the front side (recto). Papyrus Vandier also has a Book of the Dead on the verso (back side), but the recto contains the story of Meryre, who was sacrificed on an altar (an intriguing similarity to the Book of Abraham). The Book of the Dead of Psenmines (Louvre 3129) and Pawerem (BM 10252) both contain temple rituals. Both papyrus Harkness and BM 10507 (demotic funerary papyri) contain several different texts. Just because the preserved sections of the Joseph Smith Papyri are funerary in nature does not mean they cannot have had other texts, either on the verso or on the missing sections of the rolls. Arguing from silence is usually considered a fallacy.

In evaluating these arguments it will prove helpful to cite Ewert, David, A General Introduction to the Bible: From Ancient Tablets to Modern Translations (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1983), p. 20:

On the front (recto) side [of a papyrus] the fibers ran horizontally, on the back (verso) side vertically. Since the front side was smoother than the back, one normally wrote only on that side. Only rarely was the back side, where the fibers ran vertically, used for writing. If it was, then the scroll was called an opisthograph. The roll that John saw in the hands of the One who sat upon the throne, had "writing on both sides" (Rev. 5:1) to indicate the fullness of God's plans and purposes.

In some cases, unwanted works of literature were recycled by later authors who were too cheap to purchase new papyrus. They would take obsolete accounting texts, for example, and write a funerary text on the verso. (Writing on the verso of a papyrus is much harder than writing on the recto, which is why it wasn't done all that often.) Since papyrus-recycling of this sort was usually done later and/or by a different author-- after the text on the recto had served its purpose and become obsolete-- texts on opposite sides of a papyrus are often totally unrelated.

The Book of Breathings, however, is written on the recto, or front side, of the papyrus. It was then interned with a mummy and not rediscovered until modern times. There was little or no opportunity for someone to reuse this papyrus by writing on the back side. Notice that John Gee's examples (JE 95575 and Papyrus Vandier) are both funerary texts written on the verso of a papyrus with another text on the recto. This makes perfect sense; a Book of the Dead was written on the back side of an unwanted piece of literature and then interned with a dead body. It makes much less sense for a funerary text to be written on the recto of a papyrus with an unrelated work of literature on the verso. You write on the recto first, and the verso later. With most funerary texts there is no "later", because the text is interned in some guy's tomb.

Note also that Joseph Smith mounted the BoB text on paper. If the text of the Book of Abraham was on the back side, then he glued it to the paper. Something tells me he wouldn't do that.

Additionally, Gee says that the "Book of the Dead of Psenmines (Louvre 3129) and Pawerem (BM 10252) both contain temple rituals." But these "temple rituals" were not unrelated to the funerary material they accompanied. According to Janet E. Jay of the University of Chicago, "Although both the anti-Seth and the anti-Apophis ritual were originally composed for temple use, the extant copies appear to have been produced to serve a mortuary/funerary function and were placed in the tomb of a private individual (Quack 2002b, pp. 59–60)." The same can be said of Papyrus Harkness and BM 10507. They are collections of texts, but are nevertheless all funerary in nature. Gee therefore provides no compelling example of a funerary and non-funerary text appearing together on the same side of a papyrus.

It is true that the extant portion of the papyri are narrower than most Book of Breathing Documents (like the Denon Book of Breathings). However, I would like to see Chris' evidence that " there is no reason it should not also be shorter." The Denon Book of Breathings is almost 2 feet longer than the Joseph Smith Book of Breathings, for example.

I don't really understand what exactly you're trying to argue here. The Hor Book of Breathings is shorter than the Denon Book of Breathings, therefore there must have been a Book of Abraham appended to it? How does that follow?

1. Gee is both an Egyptologist and speaks German.
2. Gee does have the original papyri to work from.
3. Gee does have the original works cited at the 2007 FAIR Conference.
4. Gee did provide the formula at the 2007 FAIR Conference which I saw with my own eyes. Chris is working with an audio recording.
5. Gee has told me that he is going into print on this subject, so we can look forward to seeing the real numbers presented and then refuted by Chris (if he can).

So, for now it looks like the circumstances are in favor of Dr. Gee.

As Gadianton pointed out in my missing papyrus equation thread, Gee's measurements are physically impossible. Egyptologist or no, that's a problem. Moreover, one does not need to have the originals in order to see that Gee is off by several orders of magnitude. I wonder what Gee's credentials as a mathematician are?

I do, indeed, look forward to Gee going to print with this. I just hope he corrects his figures before he does so, so that we can all benefit from accurate results.

I am not sure if Chris is proposing if Rhodes is talking about the entire scroll or the Book of Breathings text. However, for anyone interested, Rhodes is talking about the Book of Breathing text alone and not the entire scroll. He gives 60 cm for two more columns of hieratic and the final vignette.

I was referring to the text. However, I also think the evidence points fairly clearly to the Book of Breathings having been the only text on the roll.

And here is where both Chris and Dr. Ritner miss the boat. What is unique is not that we have ressurection/judgment scenes but how these scenes are depicted. No known other example of a lion couch scene similar to the one found in the JSP has been found in any other Book of Breathings document, as has been demonstrated by Baer.

Not all things that are unique are significant. The iconography and texts of this period are fairly fluid. That no other extant Book of Breathings uses a vignette that is exactly like this one does not imply that the illustration and the text do not go together. The illustration has the meaning we would expect of an illustration in this context.

Although Cowdery describes "this record" as "beautifully written," William I. Appleby made it clear in 1841 that "there is a perceptible difference between the writings [of Abraham and Joseph]. Joseph appears to have been the best scribe." Appleby's statement perfectly describes the contrast between the Ta-shert-min and Hor rolls, the latter of which Nibley described as a "badly written, poorly preserved little text."

This requires some amazing mind reading on Chris' part. How does he know that what Appleby meant was the physical nature of the papyri?

Really, Rommelator? Really?

Can we seriously believe that Haven would have described a scroll of no more than 2 feet long (60cm) as "a long roll of manuscript"? I personally doubt it, considering that it would therefore have been even shorter than the rest of the Book of Breathings which would have measured about 96 cm (3 feet).

The rest of the Book of Breathings was in pieces. This was, in fact, probably the only intact papyrus roll in the room. "Long" is whatever Charlotte thinks is long. If she's never seen a papyrus before, she has no basis against which to judge the length of this roll.

A rather bold pronouncement. I wish I had as much confidence in the KEP debate as Chris did. There you have it folks! The debate has been settled and there is nothing more to do. It looks like Brent and Brian can stop their publication plans, since Chris has settled it for us.

I have confidence in my own conclusions. I do not think that all of the particular points at issue between Brian and Brent have been settled. But neither do they need to be for us to draw some pretty obvious conclusions about the KEP and their implications for the relationship between the Hor Book of Breathings and the Book of Abraham.

Best,

-Chris
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Mister Scratch wrote:Does anyone else suspect that "Ipso Facto" is actually Louis Midgley?

I think it's John Gee himself.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

cksalmon wrote:I just can't bring myself to apologize for alerting you to that thread, Chris, because I know you find your suspension just as entertaining as I do. ;)

lol! Yes, it was entertaining. But it's also frustrating not to be able to post in either of the Book of Abraham threads that sprung up there immediately afterward! Especially when people are talking about me!

The Other White Chris

Who's the black Chris?
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Chris Smith appears to be little more than a vocal dilettante whose bravado exceeds his knowledge in these matters -- not at all uncommon in the realm of anti-Mormon writers.

As opposed to Mormon writers of course, like one of the most credentialed scholars on the internet, The Rommelator, and a dozen or so other apologists. Well, to be honest, by Gee's standards, the author of this piece probably is not qualified to be writing it and niether would any apologist other than Gee himself not to mention any Mormon, qualified to have an opinion on the Book of Abraham.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:Does anyone else suspect that "Ipso Facto" is actually Louis Midgley?

I think it's John Gee himself.

I would agree with you if not for the last sentence or two. I doubt that Gee would argue that the KEP were intentionally fraudulent. He usually tries to present his apologetic arguments with at least a veneer of sanity. More likely suspects, perhaps, are William Schryver or William V. Smith.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Here is Rommelator's final response to me:

Hey everyone! I have a lot more that I could say on this issue, since Chris has raised some other points on the MDB, and wish sometime to get to my other arguments. However, I can't now. I know that this is the second time that I have had to bow out of a Book of Abraham debate recently, but I am strapped for time. There is so much to say but too little time for me to say it. Let me just say a few words for now.

1. I appreciate that Chris has some good questions and has some interesting perspectives on this issue. He has certainly given me some food for thought on this issue.
2. I appreciate that Chris has, for the most part, been civil and polite in his discussion. That has made my conversations with him very fun.

However, in the end, I find Chris to be too dismissive of the historical and Egyptological evidence that suggest a longer papyri. And he has yet, in my opinion, to answer my questions for me satisfactorally. For example, we can safely ensure that a knife was in the original to facsimile 1 because of the witnesses who say such. Chris dismisses their testimony and suggests that they were instead relying on the interpretation of others (such as the tour guide of Henry Caswall). However, both Applyby and Caswall were 1st hand witnesses. And we know that they were not describing any attempted restoration of a knife by the pencil drawings of another because when you look at the original to Facsimile 1 there is no attempt to draw in a knife. There is only an attempt to draw in the body of the figure on the Lion Couch and the arm of the preist along with the head of the priest. Therefore, they had to be describing a knife that was originally in the papyri. See below:

So, in conclusion, the eyewitnesses who described a knife had to be describing the original papyri and no attempted restoration by modern hands. This vindicates Joseph Smith and the Book of Abraham.

This is just one example among many of what I see as Chris' dismissive attitude towards evidence that contradicts his theories. There are more that I could talk about, but I will refrain for now. All I will say is that when I see the data I see evidence for more papyri then we have and a longer Horos scroll. Chris sees it differently, which is okay, since we all have the right to our opinions and positions. Isn't it amazing how people can look at the exact same evidence and come to totally different conclusions? I think it is, and I think that the Book of Abraham perfectly demonstrates this.

Anyways, that's it for me folks. Hope to see you all soon again. I am going to also cut back on my posting here altogether here too, since I am now swamped with work and school and need to start focusing my attention elsewhere. Thanks everyone for the great time!

A few closing remarks of my own, on the knife issue:

1) Klaus Baer indicated, from his study of the papyri, that where papyrus that Joseph Smith originally had is now missing, we can see the residue of glue and papyrus fibers on the backing paper. An easy way for Gee to establish that there was a knife here would be to identify said residue where the knife should be. I suspect that if there were any there, he would have brought it to our attention already.

2) I admit that the absence of a knife in the hand-drawn reconstruction has given me some pause on this issue. Is the knife absent because there was originally a papyrus flake there and it therefore didn't need to be restored? Or is it absent because the drawing is only a hasty and partial reconstruction that the artist never got around to finishing? I think the latter. The drawing is incomplete in other respects, and was significantly revised in the published version. But as I noted in my previous post, the case of the knife is less clear-cut than the other issues we have been discussing. (It's also not especially relevant to the missing papyrus theory.)

3) The knife needn't have been part of either the papyrus or the penciled-reconstruction to explain Appleby's and Caswall's accounts. Caswall is merely reporting the interpretation of the vignette that was proffered by his Mormon guide, and Appleby's account is clearly influenced by either an oral interpretation like the one Caswall heard or by the published Times and Seasons interpretation. In any case, both men viewed the image through interpretive lenses provided by Joseph Smith, and their recollections tell us as much or more about those lenses than about what the men physically saw on the documents themselves.

I cannot acquiesce to Rom's (perhaps unintended) implication that the Book of Abraham is a sort of ink blot test, with respect to which the evidence is so ambiguous that we can all sort of agree to disagree. I think the evidence with respect to the mythical missing Book of Abraham papyrus, in particular, is almost obnoxiously clear-cut. But I can and do add a hearty amen to his appreciation for what has been a civil, polite, and enjoyable discussion. I must also add my apologies for those points at which I trod dangerously close to the outer edges of civility and politeness-- there were a few. I have found Rommelator consistently delightful to talk to, and well-informed beyond his years. Rom is even younger than I am, and probably smarter, too. I'm going to have to work extra hard to try and stay a step ahead. It's a good thing I have the truth on my side! *<:o)

Best,

-Chris
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

CaliforniaKid wrote:

More likely suspects, perhaps, are William Schryver or William V. Smith.

I suspect it is Will Schryver.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

The Dude wrote:I suspect it is Will Schryver.

Yeah, I think you're right. Not only is the syntax a match, but also the condescending duplicity.

cks
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

cksalmon wrote:
The Dude wrote:I suspect it is Will Schryver.

Yeah, I think you're right. Not only is the syntax a match, but also the condescending duplicity.

cks

Crap. I was hoping for Dr Midgley or Dr Gee.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_antishock8
_Emeritus

Post by _antishock8 »

Runtu wrote:Four paragraphs of unsupported assertion and ad hominem.

And he accuses you of arguing by "rhetorical fiat."

Unbelievable.

Unbelievable? Alas, no. It's their modus operandi. Would anyone expect anything else?

Here's the deal:

1) Mormons have no empirical proof for their claims. They create claims like:

2) Lots of missing docs and evidence such as golden plates, 2nd *fill in the blank* letters, papyri, an entire missing population of Jewish Native Americans, and a hill that seems to move around a lot seem to be the key to suspending reason for the faithful, though. When Internet Mormons receive flak for such blatant dishonesty they:

3) Insult critics who don't join them in their credulity, which seems like acceptable practice for Internet Mormons. This apparently means that:

4) No amount of vacuous posting by prominent Mopologists and less-then-prominent Mopologists seems to sate their fervor for vacuous posting in defense of their faith. Why?

5) See #1, and then repeat steps #2-#5.
You can’t trust adults to tell you the truth.

Scream the lie, whisper the retraction.- The Left