DCP Accuses Christian Ministries of "Greed"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: DCP Accuses Christian Ministries of "Greed"

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
kish wrote:Well, as you have pointed out to us, they have to consider God's bottom line in all of this. If they were a charity, then they would simply give it away.

One might imagine this to be the case. However, as we know from Kerry Shirts and other apologists, the truth is that apologetic materials are frighteningly expensive. I remember very well from Kerry's documentary of the FAIR conference, his shock over the outrageous prices he was encountering in the bookstore. I actually felt a little bad for the junior and mid-tier apologists who are under the constant pressure of purchasing the latest new book out.

This is a good point. I think it's also worth mentioning that LoaP expressed rather furious indignation when I accused him of "mugging" for the camera. He went on to protest--rather vigorously--that he was "looking at books." Well, of course he was. Of course he was "looking" rather than "shopping." Only well-financed operations such as FARMS could afford to pay the ridiculous, astronomically expensive prices for obscure texts on Book of Mormon geography and the like.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:To add a little more, I think that on some level the Mopologist suffers from the same abuse the critic has, but is as of yet unwilling to face it.

Kishkumen,

Would you mind expounding on this a bit more?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Mister Scratch wrote:Would you mind expounding on this a bit more?

I'll do my best.

Since the Mormon system was founded on conspiracy and criminal behavior, everyone who is involved in that legacy, unless they happen to be charlatans themselves, is bound to suffer the effects of such an abusive relationship. One finds that the entire organization has a cliquish mentality, where bits of gossip are stored and doled out according to the power and pleasure it gives the teller.

Most people will always be on the outside, struggling to prove their worthiness for the secrets of the inner sanctum. They imagine that there must be profound doctrines or hidden bits of knowledge that the hierarchy have waiting for them, if they but suffer the current indignities like good soldiers. Then, if they should happen to "arrive," they find that all they have won is the power to control the kind of information that old folks on porches use to torment their neighbors.

The apologist, like others, has felt this sting and disappointment, but turns it in two directions. First, they concoct new mysteries and revelations to fill the emptiness that ensues when they realize that the Brethren have no deep mysteries to share of the kind they hoped to learn. Secondly, they become enraged should anyone whom they feel has not paid the price and earned the Brethren's trust dares to speak about Mormonism in a way they disapprove of--be that person critic or chapel Mormon. The Brethren, because they still hold the power, are insulated from the rage of the Mopologist, who, being abused but nominally rewarded, is not yet powerful enough to direct his rage at its true object.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Calculus Crusader
_Emeritus

Post by _Calculus Crusader »

Mister Scratch wrote:
In the meantime, I suppose I can ruminate on the various reasons why Mopologists hate (and I mean hate) the relatively silly and innocuous critic named Loftes Tryke. I don't want to say too much, but I believe the reaction towards Mr. Tryke is very revealing in terms of what it tells us about the "Mopologetic Collective Unconscious."

I had not heard of him, so I googled the name and came upon Dr. Peterson's review via SHIELDS.

Dr. Peterson wrote:

Time and again, with tears of laughter flowing down my face, between telephone calls to share particularly funny passages with friends, I asked myself, "Can this fellow be serious? Does he really believe this?" I actually thought for a while that the book must be a joke.

I could do the same with the patently absurd Book of Mormon. Does Dr. Peterson really believe the indigenous peoples of the Americas are descended from peregrinating Israelites? Does he really believe God changes peoples' melanin counts because they are wicked? Does he really believe Mesoamericans produced steel arms and armor? Does he really believe in Jaredite submersibles? Etc.
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei

(I lost access to my Milesius account, so I had to retrieve this one from the mothballs.)
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Calculus Crusader wrote:I could do the same with the patently absurd Book of Mormon. Does Dr. Peterson really believe the indigenous peoples of the Americas are descended from peregrinating Israelites? Does he really believe God changes peoples' melanin counts because they are wicked? Does he really believe Mesoamericans produced steel arms and armor? Does he really believe in Jaredite submersibles? Etc.

They generally do believe it until it becomes far too embarrassing to do so, and then they invent things like LGT. After all, now Native Americans are only descended from Lehi in a "covenantal" (read symbolic) sense. Those weapons were really made out of obsidian or some such. The job of the Mopologist is to render the patently ridiculous palatable to those who really want to believe fairy tales but are embarrassed to face that fact. The win for the LDS Church is that it can perpetuate itself and not implode under the weight of its mass of contradictory absurdities.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Kishkumen wrote:Most people will always be on the outside, struggling to prove their worthiness for the secrets of the inner sanctum. They imagine that there must be profound doctrines or hidden bits of knowledge that the hierarchy have waiting for them, if they but suffer the current indignities like good soldiers. Then, if they should happen to "arrive," they find that all they have won is the power to control the kind of information that old folks on porches use to torment their neighbors.

This looks a lot like my Mopologetic category of student of the mysteries, but hyped up on high-octane Scratchoids (a new drug for somewhat reckless critics).

Looks like you have found another disciple, Scratch. Congratulations to all three of you. And who said polygamy is dead!
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Trevor wrote:This looks a lot like my Mopologetic category of student of the mysteries, but hyped up on high-octane Scratchoids (a new drug for somewhat reckless critics).

I think we have found our Wounded Nerd, except this time he is a wannabe critic. Does the word collaborator ring a bell?

Trevor wrote:Looks like you have found another disciple, Scratch. Congratulations to all three of you. And who said polygamy is dead!

Chuckle, chuckle. When you decide whether you would rather be Professor P's buddy or an actual critic, I'll get back to you. I won't be holding my breath.
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Kishkumen wrote:I think we have found our Wounded Nerd, except this time he is a wannabe critic. Does the word collaborator ring a bell?

Collaborator? I don't know, Kishkumen, sounds kind of sinister to me! I can't imagine a Scratchite accusing someone in terms like those. Either that, or you don't have much of a sense of humor.

Kishkumen wrote:Chuckle, chuckle. When you decide whether you would rather be Professor P's buddy or an actual critic, I'll get back to you. I won't be holding my breath.

If you weren't a fan of Scratch, I would almost think you were Kevin Graham with all of this "holding my breath" jazz.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Trevor wrote:Collaborator? I don't know, Kishkumen, sounds kind of sinister to me! I can't imagine a Scratchite accusing someone in terms like those. Either that, or you don't have much of a sense of humor.

Trevor,

Do you have anything of substance to add here? Or did you just come to bellyache about Scratch? Do you have some kind of grudge against him? I am not here to attack or to psychologize you; I am here to bring the fight to Mopologetic bullies who deserve it. It is fine for you to joke around with Peterson, but his record is there for all to see, and I, for one, think we should be looking at that, not spending time on your dissection of Scratch's perceived foibles. I am sure Dr. Peterson can get along fine without your handholding.
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

I find all of this very troubling and disturbing.