Book of Abraham question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_ktallamigo
_Emeritus

Book of Abraham question

Post by _ktallamigo »

Someone told me yesterday that the church is no longer going to publish facsimiles 1 and 2 in new printed versions of the Pearl of Great Price.

Is this true?

If so, does this constitute an admission on the part of the church that the facsimiles are not what Joseph claimed they are?
"Brigham said the day would come when thousands would be made Eunuchs in order for them to be saved in the kingdom of God." (Wilford Woodruff's Diary, June 2, 1857, Vol. 5, pages 54-55)
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Re: Book of Abraham question

Post by _cinepro »

That would be absolutely...interesting? As far as I can tell, the facsimiles and their interpretation have always been considered "canon".

For example, the following disclaimer is included in the CES PoGP manual:

The figures in the facsimiles (2&3) are symbolic. Explanations of the facsimiles other than those provided by the Prophet Joseph Smith, which are printed with the facsimiles in the Pearl of Great Price, are tentative and subject to revision by additional revelation and insight from modern prophets.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Still waiting for that additional revelation and insight from the modern Prophets of the Creator of the Universe. Anyone think I should hold my breath waiting for them to come up with something?
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Dwight Frye
_Emeritus

Post by _Dwight Frye »

ktallamigo wrote:Someone told me yesterday that the church is no longer going to publish facsimiles 1 and 2 in new printed versions of the Pearl of Great Price.

Is this true?

I very much doubt it. The change to the Book of Mormon's intro would be nothing next to this. It would be HUGE. There is no way the Church would knowingly walk into the kind of controversy this would cause.
"Christian anti-Mormons are no different than that wonderful old man down the street who turns out to be a child molester." - Obiwan, nutjob Mormon apologist - Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:25 pm
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

I heard they are going to replace it with a blank page.

Symbolism for the missing papyrus.
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

Kevin Graham wrote:I heard they are going to replace it with a blank page.

Will that page fold out like an accordion for about 40 feet?
I think it would be morally right to lie about your religion to edit the article favorably.
bcspace
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

ktallamigo wrote:Someone told me yesterday that the church is no longer going to publish facsimiles 1 and 2 in new printed versions of the Pearl of Great Price.

Is this true?

If so, does this constitute an admission on the part of the church that the facsimiles are not what Joseph claimed they are?

What about fac. 3? That's the one where Joseph Smith and the church have absolutely ZERO ways out.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Danna

Post by _Danna »

Pokatator wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:I heard they are going to replace it with a blank page.

Will that page fold out like an accordion for about 40 feet?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Do members even know what the Book of Abraham is? Just replace the whole thing with the Proclamation on the Family and call it good.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775