Ritner passes-Sad!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Ritner passes-Sad!

Post by Moksha »

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... great_man/

I think this may be the correct link from the OP.
Last edited by Moksha on Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:07 am
John Gee
I just learned that Robert Kriech Ritner, Jr. passed away yesterday. Professor Ritner served as my dissertation advisor until Yale University removed him from the position. An official obituary has been posted. This is very sad.
http://fornspollfira.blogspot.com/2021/ ... -2021.html
Good grief. What a sad person Gee is. Even takes his shots when the guy has passed on.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

[ I just read on Sic et Non how Dr. Peterson has had a couple of significant falls. I wish him a speedy recovery. ]
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:06 pm
[ I just read on Sic et Non how Dr. Peterson has had a couple of significant falls. I wish him a speedy recovery. ]
Eegads. That's not good. Best wishes to Dr. Peterson in his healing from these incidents!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
The Stig
Valiant B

Post by The Stig »

Gee and DCP with their last little passive-aggressive shots in their "condolences" messages. Pathetic.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“DCP has passed away. Most notably he was leader of the Maxwell Institute until he was forcibly removed. Exmormons never held the disdain for DCP that DCP held for them, so here’s a couple benign facts about DCPs life.”
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Here is the entirety of John Gee's blog post.

My take is that trying to play the victim-card on a guy who just died isn't the best look.

Robert Kreich Ritner Jr. (1953-2021)

I just learned that Robert Kriech Ritner, Jr. passed away yesterday. Professor Ritner served as my dissertation advisor until Yale University removed him from the position. An official obituary has been posted. This is very sad.

I do not think I ever held Professor Ritner in the contempt or disdain in which he came to hold me. Still, I will share some positive memories of Professor Ritner.

I met Professor Ritner for the first time at my first international conference. It was devoted to magic in the ancient world and was held in August 1992 in Kansas. I had already been accepted to study under him at Yale.

One of the essentials I learned from Professor Ritner was demotic paleography. When he was a graduate student, Ritner worked on the Chicago Demotic Dictionary. One of his jobs was to take an exacto knife to photographs of papyri and to separate every demotic word. From that, he learned to account for every speck of ink on the papyrus and he taught us to do the same.

I appreciated how he tried to integrate the archaeology, texts, and art of Egypt. Too many disciplines fail to do so, and Egyptology is not as good as it once was in doing so.

Professor Ritner was an engaging lecturer. He knew how to entertain an audience. Professor Ritner was very skilled at turning a phrase. While this mostly came out in his more vituperative passages, he occasionally turned it with felicitous results into his translations.

Professor Ritner was very ambitious. Twenty-five to thirty years ago he intended to publish a number of unpublished texts, such as OIC 25389 and another manuscript of the Bentresh Stele, along with the definitive study of tribalism in the Libyan period and a demotic paleography.

My condolences to his family.

The penultimate paragraph seems an additional slam on Ritner, implying he never got around to publishing these unpublished texts he had been intending to for a quarter century.

Or am I reading that wrong?
Yobispo
Nursery

Post by Yobispo »

I read it the same way, consig. He just couldn't help himself and it is a very bad look.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

=consiglieri post_id=31863 time=1627408768 user_id=121 My take is that trying to play the victim-card on a guy who just died isn't the best look.

I have a question for you. During RFM's and Dehlin's interview with Ritner can you refresh me on some of the legal avenues that were discussed? It seems to me that Ritner was considering some kind of legal action.
Last edited by Rivendale on Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Gee wrote:Professor Ritner was very skilled at turning a phrase. While this mostly came out in his more vituperative passages, he occasionally turned it with felicitous results into his translations.
Oh my, and this zinger. Viterupative means "bitter and abusive." So Gee wants it to be remembered of Ritner's oratory skills that he "mostly used his lecturing skills to make bitter and abusive comments, but occasionally he said something funny."

I am highly suspicious this is Gee's way of raising a very public middle finger to Ritner for the 13-hour Mormon Stories interview, masked as a comment about his translation works.