Our own rcrocket attacks Will Bagley?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Re: Our own rcrocket attacks Will Bagley?

Post by _karl61 »

But if they brought the goods from the wagon train to the bishops store house and Brigham Young was riding around in a new buggy then not only did a horrendous evil take place at the massacre but it kept going...................
I want to fly!
_rocket

Post by _rocket »

I am not an apologist. Because I published twice in FARMS Review does not make me an apologist.

I merely published a review of Will Bagley's book.

Will's essential theme was that Brigham Young knew about the massacre before it happened and actually ordered it. In that regard, he disagreed with Juanita Brooks who concluded that Brigham Young didn't know about it in advance.

There were a number of subsidiary themes which interested me as a legal matter. For instance, both Brooks and Bagley concluded that a deal had been made with the U.S. Attorney to let Brigham Young and others off the hook for prosecution in return for scapegoating Lee. That particular claim was rather fascinating and took some space in my review, as I pointed out that a deal to thwart justice without a presidential pardon would have been illegal. Indeed, I found in the National Archives correspondence which neither Bagley nor Brooks had which showed another ten years of trying to pin Brigham Young to the crime.

In terms of an "apology", of course, my review did not concern that. Whether the United States should apologize for slavery, or for the internment of Japanese citizens, or for the atrocity of the Mexican American war (started on a fiction), or for the atrocity of the Vietnam war (started on a fiction) or the Mormon Church apologize for the massacre, is a matter beyond my interest. Perhaps an apology is in order.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

If the U.S. Atorneys' office was still trying to get Brigham Young it was likely they had witnesses that they were trying to get to testify. Did your research find out who the witnesses were and what they were going to testify to; was Lee a witness the government was going to use against Brigham Young?
I want to fly!
_rocket

Post by _rocket »

karl61 wrote:If the U.S. Atorneys' office was still trying to get Brigham Young it was likely they had witnesses that they were trying to get to testify. Did your research find out who the witnesses were and what they were going to testify to; was Lee a witness the government was going to use against Brigham Young?

Lee wouldn't testify against Young. The U.S. Attorney offered a presidential pardon to Lee and Lee wouldn't testify. It is not clear that Lee had any evidence to offer. Lee offered in his first trial a statement of what he could say and the U.S. Attorney found it unacceptable.

The U.S. Attorney spent ten years going after Brigham Young. They had no witnesses who could qualify as being able to offer evidence.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

so they shot Lee. Did Brigham Young sign Lee's death warrant?

I want to fly!
_rocket

Post by _rocket »

No. A federal judge did.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

any courts of love?
I want to fly!
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Booty:

1. plunder taken (as in war) ; especially : plunder taken on land as distinguished from prizes taken at sea

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/booty

2. sexual contact. Typically implies intercourse, but can also apply to oral sex, "fooling around," etc.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/booty

The practice of taking young virgins of spoils of war makes this a double entendre.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

Google booty Bible Joshua ; Google "booty" images and see if they match.
I want to fly!
_rocket

Post by _rocket »

any courts of love?

Mocking me won't elicit any answers.