Midgley's family refusing to publish his self authored obituary

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Midgley's family refusing to publish his self authored obituary

Post by IHAQ »

Since I have had, shortly after the passing of my wife in 3 February 2014, a very affectionate, but also very demanding, Dachshunt companion, who is now closing in on fifteen years, the comments on Ritner's pet dog have drawn my attention to the question of what will happen to my little friend, if I were to suddenly assume ground temperature. My family. who have made it clear that they will not post an obituary that, following Davis Bitton's example, I have drafted, will also be faced with deciding what to do with my loyal little friend. The fact is that my little friend and I are both getting to be very close to death.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... qus_thread

There is nothing to stop Midgley posting it himself in advance, so the world can see what he thinks of himself.
Moksha
God

Re: Midgley's family refusing to publish his self authored obituary

Post by Moksha »

Is Dr. Midgley requesting that he and his dog be interred together?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I believe he's saying he wrote an obituary for his dog.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

To read?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

here is Bitton's:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/sa ... d=87203094

The guy had a sense of humor, what can you say?

well, something tells me LM's won't be so fun loving. Between his devotion to Mopologetics and DCP, and the chance to take one last, immortal swipe at Grant Palmer, the Tanners, or Gina; he is certainly working up something that will be a big embarrassment to the family.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:32 pm
here is Bitton's:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/sa ... d=87203094

The guy had a sense of humor, what can you say?

well, something tells me LM's won't be so fun loving. Between his devotion to Mopologetics and DCP, and the chance to take one last, immortal swipe at Grant Palmer, the Tanners, or Gina; he is certainly working up something that will be a big embarrassment to the family.
Exactly. I think he's mentioned a daughter who handles things for him; she was probably the one who read his future obit and has already refused to publish it. It gives me hope to think that while she may or may not know exactly how much of an ass he currently is toward people, she's already decided not to facilitate his bad behavior in the future. Not only that, she's apparently told him so. Good for her, if that's the case.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

We are all humans. Ritner’s passing ought to remind all of us about our mortality and turn attention to what matters most. To be better people than we were yesterday.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Thankfully Midgley's daughter has been able to convince him not to put this on his tombstone:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I might advise Brother Midgley to make the publication of his self-authored obituary a condition precedent to his daughter’s receiving her inheritance under his Will.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Why would you advise that? Are you assuming Midgley thinks her integrity has a price?