BYU MDiv

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tim
Star A

BYU MDiv

Post by Tim »

The LDS church is offering an M.Div. for military chaplains.

http://gradstudies.byu.edu/program/chaplaincy-ma

So if some eager BYU undergrads start entering this program and paying the LDS church for an M.Div. . . . how much longer until the LDS church returns the obligation with a paid position in full-time ministry?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: BYU MDiv

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Well, the Church already has a paid ministry. We just don't advertise it.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tim wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:33 pm
The LDS church is offering an M.Div. for military chaplains.

http://gradstudies.byu.edu/program/chaplaincy-ma

So if some eager BYU undergrads start entering this program and paying the LDS church for an M.Div. . . . how much longer until the LDS church returns the obligation with a paid position in full-time ministry?
Wow... This is a stunning development. I wonder how the Mopologists will explain this one away?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

From what I can tell it is a Master of Arts degree and not a Master of Divinity degree.

ETA and it is only open to people who are candidates for military chaplaincy, so I doubt this is going to be some kind of large and busy program.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:52 pm
ETA and it is only open to people who are candidates for military chaplaincy, so I doubt this is going to be some kind of large and busy program.
Young soldiers will be comforted by knowing about planet availability with an eternal family before going into the battlefield.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace