Kerry Shirts Rocks Sunstone!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Kerry Shirts Rocks Sunstone!

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:17 am
I've been waiting on the return and report. Thanks for the synopsis, Kish. I'm glad you guys met with success and enjoyed one another's company.
Thank you, msnobody! We had a great time and learned a lot.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:12 am
Hopefully, a video of this session will be coming to YouTube.
Yes, they tell us in a couple weeks.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:29 am
Kerry is the man!!

Lol! You are too much man! A small nit, I am not a chess master, although I hasten to add, I do enjoy the game!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:17 am
I've been waiting on the return and report. Thanks for the synopsis, Kish. I'm glad you guys met with success and enjoyed one another's company.
Hi msnobody... yes, we pulled it off and enjoyed every single minute of it. Our moderator Cheryl Bruno was fantastic also. I, like Kish, wish I could have gone to her session of Mormon Tarot. We have had discussions on it in the past, and there is work to do in the future on this fascinating topic! We have some artists doing work on it, and I probably have some information and ways of sharing the Tarot ideas that no one in Mormonism is aware of (in large part thanks to my association with Joe Steve Swick), so I will participate and bring in a much larger historical/esoteric context that may surprise some folks. I know Kish has told me in the past he was quite stunned at some of the ideas I shared with him on the Tarot meanings (NOT the prognostications, which I simply cannot and do not agree on doing with them).
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Very glad to hear that this went well, and kudos to everyone who was involved! And, of course, thank you to the Reverend for this spirited account. I was struck by this:
Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:47 pm
One of the most remarkable things of all, however, is not what he was teaching, but how he proved himself a bigger person by recommending that everyone interested in Mother in Heaven go read Daniel C. Peterson's "Nephi and His Asherah," as a must. For all the tension that brews between those two corners of Mormon discourse, that Kerry Shirts should unreservedly praise DCP's work in public with genuineness and vociferous support is remarkable to me. Kerry thus demonstrates his sterling character.
Indeed. I don't think I've ever seen Drs. Peterson, Midgley, etc. say a single kind thing about Kerry.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:29 pm
Indeed. I don't think I've ever seen Drs. Peterson, Midgley, etc. say a single kind thing about Kerry.
There has been quite a bit of tension between Kerry and these fellows in recent years. Looks like Kerry held out a nice olive branch.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:44 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:29 pm
There has been quite a bit of tension between Kerry and these fellows in recent years. Looks like Kerry held out a nice olive branch.
Well, I do believe in giving credit where credit is due, as well as slapping when it is necessary. It would be much more useful for all if folks could come together and pool resources to gain more information instead of worrying about who is correct and who is wrong. Personal views are not the Gospel, and varying interpretations being refuted is not a personal thing, and many folks have to begin recognizing, exactly as Kish so gracefully and powerfully noted at Sunstone, that there are other narratives, not in the contradictory fashion of a true vs false paradigm, but in the broader context of varying narratives enlightening dark areas of knowledge some narrative don't get to.

Like candles instead of a single beam of flashlight light. It's all the same light. candles don't compete for the correct light even if one goes off a mile away and illuminates an entirely different area of the world, its still the same good light in that flame. It wouldn't matter if candles are made of different stuff and emit different colors of flame, it's not about what color the light is, its about the light enlightening and being all the same beneficial thing. The candles don't need to go to war simply because their light is either different colors, brightnesses or in different places. Every single one of them provide benefit.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:32 pm
Like candles instead of a single beam of flashlight light. It's all the same light. candles don't compete for the correct light even if one goes off a mile away and illuminates an entirely different area of the world, its still the same good light in that flame. It wouldn't matter if candles are made of different stuff and emit different colors of flame, it's not about what color the light is, its about the light enlightening and being all the same beneficial thing. The candles don't need to go to war simply because their light is either different colors, brightnesses or in different places. Every single one of them provide benefit.

In Mormonism we are taught to put our lights under a bushel and not to explore mysteries or contemplate things that are in the peripheral or have not been fully explained by Church leaders. Stick with the basics: Baptism, faith, etc. So, the light of the individual candle is not suppose to go forth and explore and question paradigms that may be wrong.

I think you get the idea of what I'm trying to express. Really, if we were to practice and live as President NelSatan tells us to do we truly would be lazy learners just like him.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

It would be much more useful for all if folks could come together and pool resources to gain more information instead of worrying about who is correct and who is wrong. Personal views are not the Gospel, and varying interpretations being refuted is not a personal thing, and many folks have to begin recognizing, exactly as Kish so gracefully and powerfully noted at Sunstone, that there are other narratives, not in the contradictory fashion of a true vs false paradigm, but in the broader context of varying narratives enlightening dark areas of knowledge some narrative don't get to.

Well said, Kerry. Many flashlights illuminate a big dark area better than one, and all we don’t know about the world is a vast, dark area waiting to be explored!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:25 am
..the Tarot meanings (NOT the prognostications, which I simply cannot and do not agree on doing with them).
Thanks for the added detail Kerry! It was getting a little confusing reading about "Mormon Tarot" so I was greatly relieved to see your explanation.