I quit the Church!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Paul Osborne

Re: I quit the Church!!!

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Welcome to my world Paul. Good to see you here. Good to have you on our team.

-Porter

Well, I bookmarked both songs. Yes! I remember buying Queen's News of the World album while in High School.

Anyway, have a sip of Jack Daniels on me!

Paul O
_JohnStuartMill
_Emeritus

Post by _JohnStuartMill »

I wonder how many never-Mos on the board have converted to Mormonism...
"You clearly haven't read [Dawkins'] book." -Kevin Graham, 11/04/09
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Paul Osborne wrote:
Welcome to my world Paul. Good to see you here. Good to have you on our team.

-Porter

Well, I bookmarked both songs. Yes! I remember buying Queen's News of the World album while in High School.

Anyway, have a sip of Jack Daniels on me!

Paul O

damned A man, damned A!

Have a beer with your nice mom Paul, on me!
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

JohnStuartMill wrote:I wonder how many never-Mos on the board have converted to Mormonism...

Well considering the few converts that LDS Inc has reported from two years of its online missionary chat, I'd venture to guess NONE?

I doubt any never-mos have converted due to a trip through the MA&D house either.
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

richardMdBorn wrote:Paul,

I'm not surprised because I've thought for a while that you were at the point KG was in 2004. What do you think about Jerald Tanner now? You wrote some harsh things about him just after his death.

Richard

I hope he forgives me. I'm comfortable with the idea that famous people are well aware that people are going to say all kinds of things about them in moments of passion. It comes with the territory. It is quite human.

Paul O
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Trevor wrote:
Paul Osborne wrote:My mother (now in her 70's) is an x-Mormon (lesbian) who is delighted with my decision. I’m flying out of Dallas Sunday morning to visit her in Albuquerque. She is on pins and needles. We are going out for lobster.

OK. That, in my mind, speaks volumes about how you came to be where you are. At least, I can identify with this information. From a fairly early age, I got to know and appreciate/love people who fell outside of the model of Mormon behavior, and it made a big difference in how I saw things.

The minions at LDS HQ take note and add to their data for profiling would be defectors: Gay parent.

Seriously Paul, this is great news and I too watched your posts over the past six months and wondered if you had ditched the jesus jammies.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

JohnStuartMill wrote:I wonder how many never-Mos on the board have converted to Mormonism...

As the unofficial self-appointed spokesperson for the Never's on the board, I invite your attention to the following from Merriam-Webster's online dictionary:

Never
Main Entry: nev·er
Pronunciation: \ˈne-vər\
Function: adverb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English nǣfre, from ne not + ǣfre ever — more at no
Date: before 12th century

1 : not ever : at no time
2 : not in any degree : not under any condition

You see, JSM. When we Never's say "never", we mean "never".

:-D
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Post by _msnobody »

Paul Osborne wrote:
richardMdBorn wrote:Paul,

I'm not surprised because I've thought for a while that you were at the point KG was in 2004. What do you think about Jerald Tanner now? You wrote some harsh things about him just after his death.

Richard

I hope he forgives me. I'm comfortable with the idea that famous people are well aware that people are going to say all kinds of things about them in moments of passion. It comes with the territory. It is quite human.

Paul O

It seems to me that often those on their way out of the LDS church rampantly defend it for some reason right before their break from the church. Perhaps a last ditch effort in wish thinking or maybe the beginning of the stages of grief.

I wish you well, Paul. For some reason I feel like I should tell you to relax and not be anxious. Don't be in too big of a hurry to sort things out. Take your time.

Regarding prayer, just talk to God from your heart. He is very approachable. I know He understands southern speak, so I'm sure He hears you just fine.
Shalom ya'll
"The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.” Psalm 145:18-19 ESV
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Paul Osborne wrote:Holy crap!

Am I going to crawl under, over, or around the Book of Mormon? Ray, what say ye?

Here you go, Paul:

2) With all of its “spiritual power”, the Book of Mormon also contains patent nonsense, and although I’ve read it through twenty-plus times, that’s a burden I would never put myself through again. It’s fiction, call it religious fiction if you will. For me it has now become pointless to try to prove or disprove it, and all such arguments, apart from being a monumental waste of time, pale into insignificance once you realise what it really is. It has some very good concepts, but should be read like the Book of Proverbs or Ecclesiastes, in bits and pieces picking out only what may be relevant to your current needs or interests.

My Journey Out of Mormonism.

Or In other words, my "atrocity tale".

What you need to be wary of is "lingering" emotional attachments. You will eventually have to look at the Book of Mormon realistically. I've really only fully done that in the last two years (which included examining my irrational emotional attachment). And PP is of course right in some aspects.

Edit: There's a comment from you in the above post too.
Last edited by _Ray A on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Seriously Paul, this is great news and I too watched your posts over the past six months and wondered if you had ditched the jesus jimmies

I did that about 2 weeks ago, Porter. Wow, was that interesting! Having worn the garments faithfully for 28 years it certainly was cooler to take them off. My skin can breathe! I feel human now.

I did the right thing. I respectively cut out the markings and disposed of them like I normally do when they get old. But, this time I went to Dillards to get some real underwear. Love them department store low cut briefs! Damn, they look so much better than garments. Got three brands including Calvin Klein, Polo, and another. Hope that’s not too much information but for a guy like me getting real underwear was a big deal!

Paul O