I quit the Church!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Paul Osborne

I quit the Church!!!

Post by _Paul Osborne »

The time has come, alas! My apostasy . . . .

I no longer pledge my obedience or faithfulness to the brethren of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or to any church for that matter. Screw them all!

I no longer believe that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet, seer, or revelator although I think he is a nice guy. I think the LDS church is run like a business and by white collar men who love power, money, and position. Screw them.

I have no regrets for living Mormonism and value my experience in the church as an important part of my life's mission on this earth. It was a great ride while it lasted. But the ride is over.

I do however retain my belief in God and Jesus Christ. I feel like I can breath now. There really is air outside of Mormonism wherein life does exist. It feels pretty good, folks. I'm in the process of being debrainwashed and am coming along OK. However, with all that said, there is a possibility I could go back to the Church but that would require the absence of faith and the church proving what it claims to be. I doubt that will happen because the Church doesn't have a good track record of proving anything.

Thoughts? I don't know if I'll comment much. This is a difficult moment for me. I'm sure you all understand.

Paul O
_beastie
_Emeritus

Re: I quit the Church!!!

Post by _beastie »

Paul,

You have my sympathies. It's a difficult journey. I can only hope your journey ends up as rewarding as mine has. I wouldn't trade any of it, as painful as some parts were.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Paul,

I must have missed a few steps in your journey. Really, this comes as quite a shock to me. Why do you feel it is necessary to leave the LDS Church, when so many of the things you believe are found within its community? Am I mistaken?

T
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

I'm surprised, too, Trevor.

Paul, I hope you are feeling alright. I support your decision, though, whatever it may be. I'm packing now, but I'll look for you later tonight in chat if you need to talk.

Kimberly
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Trever,

The church is a wonderful institution and offers a place where many people need to be. The church teaches a lot of things that I feel are unique to the world of Christianity and important facets of these beliefs are correct but then there are so many things the church teaches that are false. For example: Using hallowed language in prayer according to the King James English is a manmade teaching and NOT from God. But the apostles get up and declare that the hallowed language is how the Latter-day Saints should pray. But in this, God is mocked. God doesn’t expect us to pray that way. He just wants us to talk to him in any way we are comfortable and love him. I feel the King James English is pagan.

That’s just one little example.

Paul O
_Danna

Post by _Danna »

All the best for the future, but be prepared for a bit of shellshock.

cheers,
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I add my $0.02 to others and say that I'm quite surprised by this.

What's your opinion of the Book of Abraham now? Better yet, what's your opinion of your own websites on the Book of Abraham?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Oh, Paul.

Where's my sighing smilie when I need it?
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Paul Osborne wrote:Trever,

The church is a wonderful institution and offers a place where many people need to be. The church teaches a lot of things that I feel are unique to the world of Christianity and important facets of these beliefs are correct but then there are so many things the church teaches that are false. For example: Using hallowed language in prayer according to the King James English is a manmade teaching and NOT from God. But the apostles get up and declare that the hallowed language is how the Latter-day Saints should pray. But in this, God is mocked. God doesn’t expect us to pray that way. He just wants us to talk to him in any way we are comfortable and love him. I feel the King James English is pagan.

That’s just one little example.

Paul O

Paul,

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, because I am in fact very sympathetic. I quit attending church several years ago. While my anger toward it has subsided, I am not very close to returning to the fold, as it were. Some of what you are saying above resonates with me. The only kind of prayer that feels genuine to me these days is reflection and meditation. On the other hand, I am not sure why you feel King James English is "pagan." I would be interested to know what you meant by that.

But that isn't really important right now. I wish you the very best in your journey. I have a high regard for you and I want all the best for you. Mormonism will be poorer for having lost you.

T
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Shades,

I took my websites down some time ago because I could no longer justify them with good feelings. It's a matter of conscience and personal good will, which good will I felt was no longer so good. I did my best as a Book of Abraham apologist but I'm not going to lie to myself. Obviously, in the most general terms, it's a hoax.

My feelings about the Book of Abraham are very mixed. I think the doctrine of the preexistence of man is true and somehow Joseph Smith got wind of that doctrine and was an instrument in God's hand to teach it. But, I think we can all agree that Joseph Smith didn't know how to translate Egyptian. The Book of Abraham is a great invention that contains some interesting truths and a mixture of Biblical teachings, but understanding those truths through faith and knowledge are two different things.

Paul O