I quit the Church!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yong Xi
_Emeritus

Re: I quit the Church!!!

Post by _Yong Xi »

Paul,

Have you resigned?
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Paul Osborne wrote:Obviously, in the most general terms, it's a hoax.

Wow. A hoax? Those are pretty strong words.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Trever,

I just feel that people today don't need to use King James English to talk to God either in public or private. I'm not sure "pagan" is the best word to describe my objection to it but perhaps I should say it isn't required or necessary. Actually, I still use a little of the hallowed language in my prayers when it comes out naturally, although that comes from years of experience. I feel people should just talk to God in the language that comes naturally to them. That is probably what pleases God the most. He just wants us to talk to him like a friend and not hold up a 500 year old Bible as a template for words to use.

Paul O
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Wow. A hoax? Those are pretty strong words.

Not really, Joseph Smith knew what he was doing when he messed around with Egyptian papyri. He knew his own mind and his abilities. Whatever it was he was trying to do for the good of mankind he knew he had limitations and that there were risks that his work could one day be challenged. He took that risk and with it came the challenges.

The Book of Abraham translation is a hoax inasmuch is it is not a correct translation of the hieroglyphics in question.

Paul O
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Good luck on your journey, Paul.

"I believe in God; I just don't trust anyone who works for him." ~Author unknown
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Yong Xi wrote:Paul,

Have you resigned?

Not yet. Sigh. (Where are those damn smilies when you need them. Harmony!!)

Paul O
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Paul, I feel saddened by your leaving, but you need to do what you feel is best. For me, when I
see the love and caring that members of my ward can display toward one another, I am able
to transcend the inevitable foibles of Man which occur in our Church as it does anywhere else.
While we can be kind and true to one another, we should grasp that opportunity. Hope you can
grasp it as well, whatever your affiliation.

Best wishes.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Is it because you want to sin?
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Well now. Ya wouldn't think a never would have anything to say on a thread like this. That's why I mostly keep out of them.

Not this time.

I have heard it said that apologists (those who publicly defend, maintain websites such as yours, etc.) are those who, above all others, know well what the truth is, because they have taken on the task of sifting through the evidence to look for pieces of their faith.

Perhaps you are one of those.

Paul, having gotten to know you a bit on this board, I want to say that you have a spark, an inner light.

Let it shine.
:-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I'm surprised as well. I've always found your take on things to be sincere and heartfelt. I hope you continue to feel good!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."