Why LDS Mormons are not Christian.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton Plumber

Re: Why LDS Mormons are not Christian.

Post by _Gadianton Plumber »

beastie wrote:
Well then, there you go. Anything that includes some shape of Jesus is Christian, including the Mr. Potato Head Christ. They just don't get to be called mainstream.

Oh, come on. Our culture understands Jesus to be the figure from the Bible. Mr. Potato head Christ doesn't qualify. That is ignoring culturally accepted meanings of words (like my cat is God).

You seem to think that distinguishing between "mainstream" and non-mainstream is pointless. Why?

Mr. Potato Head as Christ the personal savior. Christian or not?

How far can the Mormons pervert Christ and still be called followers of the "figure from the Bible"?

Are we maybe talking Venn diagrams here? Christians on one hand and mainstreamers on the other?
_Gadianton Plumber

beastie wrote:
Why can't mainstream Christians be discounted as Christian?

Because you are then ignoring our culturally accepted meaning of the term, and are, instead, using an arbitrary definition of your own creation.

So are Mormons ignoring culturally accepted meanings of Christ? If not, why not?
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

How far can the Mormons pervert Christ and still be called followers of the "figure from the Bible"?

Are we maybe talking Venn diagrams here? Christians on one hand and mainstreamers on the other?

Mr. Potato Head is such a diversion from the Bible that it's clearly meant as a joke. Mormonism's conception of Jesus follows the Bible quite closely, except for theological disputes that not even the entire Christian community has resolved. I'll ask you the same question I asked Jersey Girl: are only triniterians Christian?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

GP

To your first. That depends.

Is Mr. Potato Head Christ:

a self existent god
a god that has always been god
a god that entered human history
a god whose offer of salvation rests on the above "claims"

?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

So are Mormons ignoring culturally accepted meanings of Christ? If not, why not?

Now you're making fine theological distinctions. Are only triniterians Christians? Why or why not?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Gadianton Plumber

beastie wrote:

Mr. Potato Head is such a diversion from the Bible that it's clearly meant as a joke. Mormonism's conception of Jesus follows the Bible quite closely, except for theological disputes that not even the entire Christian community has resolved. I'll ask you the same question I asked Jersey Girl: are only triniterians Christian?

MPH Christ is meant as an extreme example to prove a point. There is a point where the perversion is too much. Mormon Jesus is way off base from Biblical Christianity, albeit not as far as MPH Jesus. So, how far is too far for Beastie?
_Gadianton Plumber

beastie wrote:

Now you're making fine theological distinctions. Are only triniterians Christians? Why or why not?

I don't know enough about that debate to comment.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

beastie,

I didn't see where you posed the question the first time. Multi-tasking here.

My answer is "no".
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

How do you know it's way off base? How did you come to know/understand this?

Or are you just making suppe here for no good reason?
Chinese Proverb
_Gadianton Plumber

I wonder if triniterianism is as fine a theological distinction as a polygamous, non-eternal Jesus whose Atonement is roughly co-equal to paying your tithing and obeying octogenarians.