This Week's FAIR Conference: The Most Important in DCP's Life?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

This Week's FAIR Conference: The Most Important in DCP's Life?

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Greetings, friends and colleagues. I hope you had a peaceful and reflective Sunday. I'm sure that Gemli did. For whatever reason, he was denied his usual dose of 25-30+ acerbic personal attacks from Dr. Peterson & Co. over at "Sic et Non." In fact... I don't know about you, but haven't things with the Mopologists seemed "odd" lately? More specifically, I am beginning to worry a bit about Dr. Peterson, and his ability to continue to lead the Mopologetic movement. I have no question about his hopes and ambitions for the project, but he can't carry on as "The Godfather" forever.

For that reason (and several others) I am beginning to wonder if this week's annual FAIR Conference will wind up being a pivotal moment in Mopologetics. Typically, there is some kind of major drama at these conferences--think of Grant Hardy telling the audience that belief in a literal Book of Mormon is unnecessary for getting into the Celestial Kingdom. Think of the confrontation between Blair Hodges and DCP: "You go to hell!" And think of DCP's various gaffes--including one year where he apparently threw together his presentation at the last moment. (Actually, there have been more than one of those.) What are we going to get this year? A full-on smear of the Joseph Smith Papers Project, perhaps? Doubtful, given the title of his talk: "The Book of Mormon Witnesses: Sincerity and Reality." So is this just going to be a boring rehash of his "Witnesses" material?

If so, that is likely going to pose a problem. The film Witnesses continues to "endure" in theaters, though one imagines that, any day now, its run will end, and it seems practically inevitable at this point that it will wind up an official "Box Office Flop." What if its run ends on the very day that DCP is delivering this "Witnesses" talk? Or, instead, is this a pathetic attempt to try to get the FAIR audience to go see the film in theaters for a fourth and fifth time, just so critics won't be able to give him a hard time?

Meanwhile, I've noticed that his work at "SeN" has been sharply curtailed. Is this due to a busy travel schedule? His retirement? Some other reason? In a recent post, he even admits that "I've fallen a bit behind on my blogging," and there have been other ominous signs. For example, Dr. Peterson described falling on two separate occasions, eliciting this note of concern from BLarsen:
BLarsen wrote:Your first description of this event: "I suddenly lunged toward the ground yet again", doesn't sound like this. My RN wife read this and suggested you may have been experiencing subtle/slight transient ischemic attacks caused by micro blood clots. You could have your doctor check this using the D-dimer test, w/perhaps blood thinners or aspirin prescribed. CT scans or MRI's won't detect these.

One isolated fall, not too worrisome. Two in fairly close time-proximity should cause a bit more concern.

Just a suggestion.
DCP bristled at the idea that anything might be amiss:
In the first case, I tripped over a concrete barrier that I hadn't seen because (a) it was under the only shade in the parking lot and (b) I was looking elsewhere.

In the second case, I was looking at some native American artifacts, the path turned, and I stepped into a small trough that I hadn't seen because I wasn't watching.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think that transient ischemic attacks caused by micro blood clots are required to explain what happened. Inattention is a perfectly adequate explanation.
Yikes. I certainly hope that the falls were no big deal! Still, as far as Mopologetics is concerned, I think there is a lot that's up in the air right now. Kyler Rasmussen's "serial adventure" hasn't managed to drum up the attention that I'm sure the Mopologists hoped is would: Dr. Moore's bet essentially squashed any hopes of that happening. (Let's see a friendly but non-Mopologetic LDS scholar give Rasmussen's work the stamp of approval.) Meanwhile, with retirement, DCP has even admitted that he's struggling to figure out how to turn on his new computer, which certainly doesn't bode well for the movement. And maybe there's nothing to be concerned about, but now he just doesn't have it in him to "lead the troops" anymore?

I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. I'm sensing that Dr. Peterson is starting to "fade out" as the leader of traditional Mopologetics. The attack-mindedness; the vicious attempts to stop all slam-dunks. The need to flush out apostates, etc. In other words, the very *backbone* of Mopologetics. Who will carry on that legacy if he starts going soft? There have been signs for many years that he was going soft--retreating back into blogging rather than directing attacks on people. And now he seems more interested in bearing his testimony and peddling his movie.

All of which is to say that the upcoming FAIR Conference may very well turn out to be a pivotal moment--i.e., the moment where Dr. Peterson effectively "comes to an end" as the main leader of Mopologetics. Unless he can deliver a rousing speech to the crowd, it may be that the classic-FARMS "reign of terror" is on its way out. We shall see.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Re: This Week's FAIR Conference: The Most Important in DCP's Life?

Post by Moksha »

It could be that the talk of the FAIR Conference will be the post-COVID announcement of the November Ultimate Egyptian Extravaganza Tour featuring not just Dr. Peterson, but Reformed Egyptology expert Dr. John Dee Gee. There will be numerous lectures, by several BYU luminaries, in the building behind the Cruise Lady HQ. For a courtesy to senior participants, adequate vaccinations would be nice, or at least an explanatory note from the Stake President verifying political objector status. Riding in a sedan chair with Dr. Peterson is optional (as an additional educational fee).

Dr. Peterson is recovering from a series of falls. Such events can slow anyone's summer vacation and impede their productivity, especially in the retirement years. A young apologist will step forward and be fitted for their battle armor when the time comes, but Dr. Peterson still has some life in him and two books to write following his sabbatical.

As to his demeanor, don't most people become a bit nicer with age? For instance, Dr. Midgley did not demand the airline allow him to bring his chainsaw to New Zealand. Dr. Peterson could simply be tapiring off the excesses of youth.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

If DCP doesn't have it in him to lead the troops anymore, dare I suggest that, in spite of being old enough to be DCP's father, Louis Midgley has it in him to take up the baton? He doesn't seem to be slowing down, and it appears that he has plenty of disciples who eagerly lap up his attack-dog mentality.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr. Scratch
I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. I'm sensing that Dr. Peterson is starting to "fade out" as the leader of traditional Mopologetics. The attack-mindedness; the vicious attempts to stop all slam-dunks. The need to flush out apostates, etc. In other words, the very *backbone* of Mopologetics. Who will carry on that legacy if he starts going soft? There have been signs for many years that he was going soft--retreating back into blogging rather than directing attacks on people.
I believe the narrative is changing, and will do so. I think the church has come to recognize that attacking to prevent so-called slam dunks is a past era. Bushman was right, the narrative needs to change, and most interesting, Stephen Fleming and Terryl Givens might be the instigators of that change. Sure they use flourish and rhetoric, but straight talk in Mormonism is almost a crime these days, so ya gotta sneak up on it so to speak.

I suspect the old days of Joseph Smith is a true prophet in a vacuum of knowledge he could not have known vs. charlatan is passing as well. There are, as Fleming has so aptly demonstrated extensively, many sources Smith could have in an inspired fashion refashioned from his contemporary sources, used in inspired fashion (not plagiarism) to continue the Perennial Philosophy which has come down through the ages. The pre-modern era 1500-1800's has an astonishing amount of materials for Smith to have utilized and been inspired to change up a bit to match his own revealed knowledge of things. I'm feeling a bit like Walt Whitman who quipped "Oh do I contradict myself! Then let it be so, I am multitudes!"

Just when I think I got a handle on Joseph Smith, new information comes out that makes decent sense and it is not apologetic at that, which is why, perhaps, it makes sense... One thing is truly occurring, the narrative is changing, and it has to change. The change is going to be for the better, the more realistic from what we have seen this last 100 years or so. The days of Boyd K. Packer and Neal A. Maxwell controlling the narrative are over. I am seeing positive things from the new narrative, if that is what one can call it. I'm keeping my eyes peeled.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:48 pm

I believe the narrative is changing, and will do so. I think the church has come to recognize that attacking to prevent so-called slam dunks is a past era. Bushman was right, the narrative needs to change, and most interesting, Stephen Fleming and Terryl Givens might be the instigators of that change. Sure they use flourish and rhetoric, but straight talk in Mormonism is almost a crime these days, so ya gotta sneak up on it so to speak.

I suspect the old days of Joseph Smith is a true prophet in a vacuum of knowledge he could not have known vs. charlatan is passing as well. There are, as Fleming has so aptly demonstrated extensively, many sources Smith could have in an inspired fashion refashioned from his contemporary sources, used in inspired fashion (not plagiarism) to continue the Perennial Philosophy which has come down through the ages. The pre-modern era 1500-1800's has an astonishing amount of materials for Smith to have utilized and been inspired to change up a bit to match his own revealed knowledge of things. I'm feeling a bit like Walt Whitman who quipped "Oh do I contradict myself! Then let it be so, I am multitudes!"

Just when I think I got a handle on Joseph Smith, new information comes out that makes decent sense and it is not apologetic at that, which is why, perhaps, it makes sense... One thing is truly occurring, the narrative is changing, and it has to change. The change is going to be for the better, the more realistic from what we have seen this last 100 years or so. The days of Boyd K. Packer and Neal A. Maxwell controlling the narrative are over. I am seeing positive things from the new narrative, if that is what one can call it. I'm keeping my eyes peeled.
Yep, bricolaging sounds like a probable type of explanation. SOunds like it's where the new wants to take things. Joseph wasn't just pulling crap out of God's brain, word for word. No he was inspired to bring together different ideas he found. And in time we'll start to see the explanation including things like, it wasn't just JOseph who made the collage that forms in your imagination when you read these fantastic scriptures. Hopefully we get full circle and learn that revelation is just code word for inspiration. Spirit is not some controlled being hiding inside us pushing the buttons of our emotions, but is a non-entity captured periodically by people as they feel swayed in one way or another. At that point, we'll learn there's no point to church or religion, hopefully.

Joseph and his fellow cohorts just got together every so often, sometimes gathered around a plate of cookies and punch, and made creative looking collages with words and ideas.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

What new meanings have been added to the word "inspired"?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Well, who can forget the 2019 FAIR conference, in which Peterson was given a huge surprise in the form of a lifetime achievement award?

In his acceptance speech, he mentioned hearing his name while sitting in the back "typing away on his computer." He had no idea this was coming. All he could think to say was that being "despised and attacked" for his "willingness to defend the faith" was such a key part of his life -- prophetic, in fact. I remember checking time stamps back then and it was evident Dan was busying himself in that FAIR conference obsessing over this message board and delivering acerbic dismissals at the comments section of SeN. Playing victim even at a pinnacle of achievement among friends.

And then who could forget his Mormon Stories interview with Dan Wotherspoon in which he compares his addiction to online message boards to a drunk passing the saloon door and unable to resist going in one more time. That was 2011, a decade ago this week in fact, that he confessed to personal awareness that the addiction accomplished nothing and was a waste of time.

So perhaps you're right, Doctor, and maybe retirement has acted as a catalyst of sorts. The time-wasting activity of blogging and "defending the kingdom" by engaging in daily spars with gemli and stiff arming random questioners and passersby is no longer necessary as a substitute for research to show something to skeptical fellow BYU faculty members. So perhaps the BYU retirement has unexpectedly acted to retire two animals at once -- the host and the parasite, so to speak -- teaching and blogging.

That being said, I bet Interpreter and its various activities will remain a focus of energy. Money is involved, for one. Relatively "big money" thanks to the Witnesses project. Consider this, in your compendium of Mopologetic history, Doctor Scratch. In 2019, Dr. Peterson eagerly accepted a challenge to apologize for being mean to me for a $1,000 Interpreter donation, and furthermore he took a public oath not to say mean things about this message board for another as-yet undisclosed sum (confession: it was about $5,000). The latter, as we all know, is something that month after month Peterson would swear compliance with, only to turn back on his word by saying or encouraging name calling ("Sty", "Sewer" etc) despite the fact that he'd given his good name, in the name of Interpreter, specifically not to and to moderate such things from his blog. It was like he just could not let a single negative comment here go unanswered without an equally negative comment about the whole board: even though he gladly took a small sum of money in return for NOTHING but his word not to return those negative words. Anyway, not to belabor that point because the meta point here is somewhat profound. Dr. Peterson put his good name on the line for a few thousand dollars -- that's 2019. And here we are, 2021, and Dr. Peterson and his pals won't even get out of bed for an offer of $30,000 to help elevate the Interpreter's research! Two years, and 10x the money means nothing. So you might ask, "what has Witnesses done for Interpreter?" I would proffer that it's given them a taste of bigger money and the power that comes with it. Predictably, this means less insecurity and less incentive to engage with critics. Probably that is fleeting, not durable.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:35 pm

In his acceptance speech, he mentioned hearing his name while sitting in the back "typing away on his computer." He had no idea this was coming. All he could think to say was that being "despised and attacked" for his "willingness to defend the faith" was such a key part of his life -- prophetic, in fact. I remember checking time stamps back then and it was evident Dan was busying himself in that FAIR conference obsessing over this message board and delivering acerbic dismissals at the comments section of SeN. Playing victim even at a pinnacle of achievement among friends.
LOL! That's hilarious, Dr. Moore, but also completely unsurprising. If memory serves, at the time I observed that he was getting an award from an organization in which he himself was a key member on the board. In other words, he was "shocked" at being given an award despite being one of that organization's main leaders.
So perhaps you're right, Doctor, and maybe retirement has acted as a catalyst of sorts. The time-wasting activity of blogging and "defending the kingdom" by engaging in daily spars with gemli and stiff arming random questioners and passersby is no longer necessary as a substitute for research to show something to skeptical fellow BYU faculty members. So perhaps the BYU retirement has unexpectedly acted to retire two animals at once -- the host and the parasite, so to speak -- teaching and blogging.

That being said, I bet Interpreter and its various activities will remain a focus of energy. Money is involved, for one. Relatively "big money" thanks to the Witnesses project. Consider this, in your compendium of Mopologetic history, Doctor Scratch. In 2019, Dr. Peterson eagerly accepted a challenge to apologize for being mean to me for a $1,000 Interpreter donation, and furthermore he took a public oath not to say mean things about this message board for another as-yet undisclosed sum (confession: it was about $5,000). The latter, as we all know, is something that month after month Peterson would swear compliance with, only to turn back on his word by saying or encouraging name calling ("Sty", "Sewer" etc) despite the fact that he'd given his good name, in the name of Interpreter, specifically not to and to moderate such things from his blog. It was like he just could not let a single negative comment here go unanswered without an equally negative comment about the whole board: even though he gladly took a small sum of money in return for NOTHING but his word not to return those negative words. Anyway, not to belabor that point because the meta point here is somewhat profound. Dr. Peterson put his good name on the line for a few thousand dollars -- that's 2019. And here we are, 2021, and Dr. Peterson and his pals won't even get out of bed for an offer of $30,000 to help elevate the Interpreter's research! Two years, and 10x the money means nothing. So you might ask, "what has Witnesses done for Interpreter?" I would proffer that it's given them a taste of bigger money and the power that comes with it. Predictably, this means less insecurity and less incentive to engage with critics. Probably that is fleeting, not durable.
Very interesting observations. On the one hand, I think it's correct that "Witnesses" reinvigorated Mopologetics to a certain extent, or rather, it reinvigorated DCP. But I think that he hung a lot of expectations on the project, and that it's likely been an intense and exhausting roller coaster for him, and it may very well be *the* thing that has led to what I expect is a massive case of burnout. For example, I'm sure that you and others recall the massive embarrassment that ensued after they posted the first trailer for the movie--i.e., the one with the clip-on wireless mic, and the "POW!" sound effect. There were the 11th hour attempts to secure financing for marketing the movie. And then there was the sheer panic over the idea that Rotten Tomatoes would be overwhelmed with negative user reviews. But the real icing on the cake is, as you pointed out, the financing. Sure: they drummed up $1 million+ for this. They did that in the past, though: you may recall the $7 million "ziggurat" that they were planning to build on the BYU campus--shortly before the institutional Church swooped in and gobbled them up, re-christening them as the Neal A. Maxwell Institute.

But I am willing to bet that "Witnesses"'s financial failure is absolutely devastating for DCP. Critics will be able to say forever that this pet project of his was a "Box Office Flop," and this may be the thing that does it. I get that the financing came from donations and it may very well be the case that the donors don't care about ROI. But will they be willing to throw yet more money at yet another project? Well, if DCP is too "pooped out" to engage in fundraising efforts, then I reckon we have our answer.

Regardless, his upcoming FAIR keynote will no doubt give us some clues as to his energy level, and his resolve. If all it is is lame rehashing of "Witnesses" stuff, then I think we can assume that he's on his way out of the game.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:31 am
I am beginning to wonder if this week's annual FAIR Conference will wind up being a pivotal moment in Mopologetics. Typically, there is some kind of major drama at these conferences--think of Grant Hardy telling the audience that belief in a literal Book of Mormon is unnecessary for getting into the Celestial Kingdom. Think of the confrontation between Blair Hodges and DCP: "You go to hell!" And think of DCP's various gaffes--including one year where he apparently threw together his presentation at the last moment. (Actually, there have been more than one of those.) What are we going to get this year? A full-on smear of the Joseph Smith Papers Project, perhaps? Doubtful, given the title of his talk: "The Book of Mormon Witnesses: Sincerity and Reality." So is this just going to be a boring rehash of his "Witnesses" material?
I recall that DCP gave a lecture with the same title for a YSA stake FHE and for BYU Education Week in 2020. So it could be a repeat this week.

I must admit that I am perplexed that no general authorities--emeritus, excommunicated, or otherwise--are speaking at this year's FAIR Conference. FAIR had a three-year run of general authorities speaking, I think.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Tom wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:11 pm
FAIR had a three-year run of general authorities speaking, I think.
The LDS church will want to put as much distance as possible between itself and the legacy of Daniel Peterson et al. The same way they put distance between themselves and every other problematic piece of their history.

There will be no "Daniel C Peterson Library" or any other building larger than an outhouse at BYU... No Peterson Institute, no Peterson Chair. He will be sent swiftly down the memory hole.