This Week's FAIR Conference: The Most Important in DCP's Life?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: This Week's FAIR Conference: The Most Important in DCP's Life?

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:11 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:31 am
I am beginning to wonder if this week's annual FAIR Conference will wind up being a pivotal moment in Mopologetics. Typically, there is some kind of major drama at these conferences--think of Grant Hardy telling the audience that belief in a literal Book of Mormon is unnecessary for getting into the Celestial Kingdom. Think of the confrontation between Blair Hodges and DCP: "You go to hell!" And think of DCP's various gaffes--including one year where he apparently threw together his presentation at the last moment. (Actually, there have been more than one of those.) What are we going to get this year? A full-on smear of the Joseph Smith Papers Project, perhaps? Doubtful, given the title of his talk: "The Book of Mormon Witnesses: Sincerity and Reality." So is this just going to be a boring rehash of his "Witnesses" material?
I recall that DCP gave a lecture with the same title for a YSA stake FHE and for BYU Education Week in 2020. So it could be a repeat this week.

I must admit that I am perplexed that no general authorities--emeritus, excommunicated, or otherwise--are speaking at this year's FAIR Conference. FAIR had a three-year run of general authorities speaking, I think.
Good call, Tom: it does indeed sound like he's recycling material, which supports my earlier observations.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:25 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:58 pm
But I am willing to bet that "Witnesses"'s financial failure is absolutely devastating for DCP. Critics will be able to say forever that this pet project of his was a "Box Office Flop," and this may be the thing that does it. I get that the financing came from donations and it may very well be the case that the donors don't care about ROI. But will they be willing to throw yet more money at yet another project?
The thing is, it isn’t a commercial enterprise. Financial success isn’t defined the same way. I think you have to look at the picture with an eye toward the possible next steps.

I would have to say that for their first endeavor, with lessons learned and the experience of doing vs talking, there is enough here that an enterprising DCP with youthful volunteers can very easily spin this finger dip into a buffet of future opportunities, with recycled capital and some fresh donations.

Imagine, if you will, from the standpoint of DCP. You solicited a million dollars in donations to make a movie, all on the wings of a prayer. The movie was made. That’s huge! And.. the theatrical release - during a pandemic - repaid almost half of the cost. Smart IP management may yield a full payback. This was project #1. You are definitely going to see project #2 and I bet it comes with a $2m budget this time. Bigger, but smarter.

My prediction is project #2 will be public within 6 mos and it will not be unambitious.
I admire your optimism and generosity, Dr. Moore. I have to say, though, that I'm far more skeptical. What would be the topic of this film? A Nibley biopic? To be honest, I think their best bet would be to do some kind of roman a clef-style smear piece--i.e., a thinly veiled depiction of, say, John Dehlin, or something like that, where the target of their ire gets trashed on-screen. For example, they could depict him getting cast out into Outer Darkness. Wouldn't it be cool to see Outer Darkness depicted on the big screen?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:59 pm
I admire your optimism and generosity, Dr. Moore. I have to say, though, that I'm far more skeptical. What would be the topic of this film? A Nibley biopic? To be honest, I think their best bet would be to do some kind of roman a clef-style smear piece--i.e., a thinly veiled depiction of, say, John Dehlin, or something like that, where the target of their ire gets trashed on-screen. For example, they could depict him getting cast out into Outer Darkness. Wouldn't it be cool to see Outer Darkness depicted on the big screen?
I am merely trying to be realistic about what would likely have and have not been the barriers to Interpeter funding, making and monetizing a film. You have to admit, they did what they said they would do. Risk adjusted for experience, I think access to donation capital for the next project will come with far less effort. Now as you point out, the question is what to pick for the best next project. I don’t think it will be a smear film or something negative. No one wants that product. And now that Interpreter is playing in the “big leagues” there will be more voices chiming in about what the market wants to see.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:59 pm
For example, they could depict him getting cast out into Outer Darkness. Wouldn't it be cool to see Outer Darkness depicted on the big screen?
With Near-Death Experiences (NDE), no doubt they could describe this place accurately.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

My topic at this year’s annual FAIR conference is “The Book of Mormon Witnesses: Sincerity and Reality.” (As you might have surmised the witnesses of the Book of Mormon have been somewhat on my mind of late.) I’ll be speaking at about 4:15 PM on Friday afternoon, so, if you’re in the vicinity, beware of motorists desperately fleeing the parking lot after about 4 PM

This year’s talk is intended as a companion to last year’s FAIR conference talk, which was entitled “The Book of Mormon Witnesses: Variety and Complexity.” For some reason, though, so far as I can tell — I never checked until just now — it doesn’t seem that my talk from last year is up on the FAIR website either as a transcript or in video form. I have no idea why that would be so.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... ality.html

I'm sure it's a simple administrative oversight rather than something of greater significance...
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The Mormon Experience Event Center in Orem seems like a nice place to hold a conference, but will it be a step down from the Midgley Dodge Used Minivan Showroom in Levan, Utah which is the site of this year's conference?

Anyway, Dr. Peterson is scheduled to present Witnesses: Wrap-up and Requiem at the FAIR Conference in 2022.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

I prepared the remarks that I’ll present on Friday (again, “Sincerity and Reality”) at FAIR as a presentation for BYU Education Week that I expected to follow fairly closely after the 2020 FAIR conference on “Variety and Complexity.” But, owing to the coronavirus pandemic, the 2020 BYU Education Week was made entirely virtual. I recorded the talk under the auspices of BYU Continuing Education for eventual release online. And then came a problem: The talk was already recorded, with its images, and we came up against an intractable copyright issue that we could not resolve in time for it to be broadcast. (The apparent holder of the copyright could not be located.)

So we eventually decided not to put that talk online. And then the brilliant idea came to me of presenting it this year, at FAIR 2021. So that’s what I’m going to do.
I assume that any copyright issues were resolved prior to the September 14, 2020 Lethbridge YSA stake FHE presentation of the same name. I wonder why he doesn’t mention that presentation in his blog post.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:38 pm
I prepared the remarks that I’ll present on Friday (again, “Sincerity and Reality”) at FAIR as a presentation for BYU Education Week that I expected to follow fairly closely after the 2020 FAIR conference on “Variety and Complexity.” But, owing to the coronavirus pandemic, the 2020 BYU Education Week was made entirely virtual. I recorded the talk under the auspices of BYU Continuing Education for eventual release online. And then came a problem: The talk was already recorded, with its images, and we came up against an intractable copyright issue that we could not resolve in time for it to be broadcast. (The apparent holder of the copyright could not be located.)

So we eventually decided not to put that talk online. And then the brilliant idea came to me of presenting it this year, at FAIR 2021. So that’s what I’m going to do.
I assume that any copyright issues were resolved prior to the September 14, 2020 Lethbridge YSA stake FHE presentation of the same name. I wonder why he doesn’t mention that presentation in his blog post.
Yikes. So, I guess the reality of the situation is that the Keynote Speaker at the FAIR Conference will be presenting a recycled talk? I guess that's pretty much par for the course, as far as FAIR is concerned.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Reading through the FAIR Conference program, I see that FAIR has started a Facebook group for full-time missionaries (“since full-time missionaries can’t get access to answers on the Internet”).

Additionally, FAIR is “in the process of obtaining office space to host service missionaries to help us with our 10000+ page Website.” “You are hereby called to serve as a service missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the FAIR online apologetics mission, where you will devote your time to updating the FAIR Answers wiki. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months. You should report to the FAIR office in Sheepshank, Utah.”

Also, FAIR is “working on providing online classes in apologetics.” I wonder who will teach those classes.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

kairos wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:35 am
In an effort to cover Russell M. Nelson ‘s lying ass, DCP will announce he willleas a fund raising and monument building effort to have a memorial to the miracle of recovery from a death dive airplane incident involving Russell M. Nelson that occurred at Delta Utah in 1976. RMNs own words confirm the miracle occurred and thus the memorial will depict a spinning twin engine small passenger plane coveted in gold leaf.

The angel Apachironi will be placed on the right wing pointing a fire extinguisher at the fiery engine.

By announcing this memorial at the upcoming FAIR Conference will allow DCP to jump start raising funds. Of note no depiction of Witnesses to the miracle will be portrayed in this memorial.
Apachironi! Too, too funny.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.