This Week's FAIR Conference: The Most Important in DCP's Life?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: This Week's FAIR Conference: The Most Important in DCP's Life?

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:58 pm
But I am willing to bet that "Witnesses"'s financial failure is absolutely devastating for DCP. Critics will be able to say forever that this pet project of his was a "Box Office Flop," and this may be the thing that does it. I get that the financing came from donations and it may very well be the case that the donors don't care about ROI. But will they be willing to throw yet more money at yet another project?
The thing is, it isn’t a commercial enterprise. Financial success isn’t defined the same way. I think you have to look at the picture with an eye toward the possible next steps.

I would have to say that for their first endeavor, with lessons learned and the experience of doing vs talking, there is enough here that an enterprising DCP with youthful volunteers can very easily spin this finger dip into a buffet of future opportunities, with recycled capital and some fresh donations.

Imagine, if you will, from the standpoint of DCP. You solicited a million dollars in donations to make a movie, all on the wings of a prayer. The movie was made. That’s huge! And.. the theatrical release - during a pandemic - repaid almost half of the cost. Smart IP management may yield a full payback. This was project #1. You are definitely going to see project #2 and I bet it comes with a $2m budget this time. Bigger, but smarter.

My prediction is project #2 will be public within 6 mos and it will not be unambitious.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:25 am
Imagine, if you will, from the standpoint of DCP. You solicited a million dollars in donations to make a movie, all on the wings of a prayer. The movie was made. That’s huge! And.. the theatrical release - during a pandemic - repaid almost half of the cost. Smart IP management may yield a full payback. This was project #1. You are definitely going to see project #2 and I bet it comes with a $2m budget this time. Bigger, but smarter.

My prediction is project #2 will be public within 6 mos and it will not be unambitious.
Didn't Dr. Peterson say that two smaller documentaries are planned?

Witnesses will likely be shown every year to an upcoming generation of Institute and seminary students. Perhaps it will be shown on KBYU and YouTube.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:21 am
Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:25 am

Didn't Dr. Peterson say that two smaller documentaries are planned?

Witnesses will likely be shown every year to an upcoming generation of Institute and seminary students. Perhaps it will be shown on KBYU and YouTube.
I’m not sure but to me it would be a massive waste of opportunity if Dan doesn’t continue making films and soliciting donations to make those films.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I can’t wait for the expanded Mormon Cinematic Universe! Governor Boggs is the MorCU Thanos. Porter Rockwell is their Loki. Emma can be their Mar-vell. The feds are their Hydra. I’m tellin’ ya, Dan-o. You really need to bring me in as your idea guy. I’m not cheap, but I will be worth the donated funds.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

In an effort to cover Russell M. Nelson ‘s lying ass, DCP will announce he willleas a fund raising and monument building effort to have a memorial to the miracle of recovery from a death dive airplane incident involving Russell M. Nelson that occurred at Delta Utah in 1976. RMNs own words confirm the miracle occurred and thus the memorial will depict a spinning twin engine small passenger plane coveted in gold leaf.

The angel Apachironi will be placed on the right wing pointing a fire extinguisher at the fiery engine.

By announcing this memorial at the upcoming FAIR Conference will allow DCP to jump start raising funds. Of note no depiction of Witnesses to the miracle will be portrayed in this memorial.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

For the next film, I would like to see DCP tackle the 3 Nephites.

The Three Nephites are indestructible and immortal. There could be awesome, epic battle scenes between the 3 Nephites and Cain (Bigfoot), Shiz, Zelph and Nimrod.

DCP could also pursue the romantic angle. The 3 Nephites with their smashing good looks and incredible wit could fall in love with a BYU co-ed and end up raising the baby together, just like the film 3 Men And A Baby.

There could be some hilarious comedic moments following the 3 Nephites up and down the Wasatch Front as they change tires along I-15 and help elderly women find their keys.

The possibilities are endless…
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:43 am
For the next film, I would like to see DCP tackle the 3 Nephites.

The Three Nephites are indestructible and immortal. There could be awesome, epic battle scenes between the 3 Nephites and Cain (Bigfoot), Shiz, Zelph and Nimrod.

DCP could also pursue the romantic angle. The 3 Nephites with their smashing good looks and incredible wit could fall in love with a BYU co-ed and end up raising the baby together, just like the film 3 Men And A Baby.

There could be some hilarious comedic moments following the 3 Nephites up and down the Wasatch Front as they change tires along I-15 and help elderly women find their keys.

The possibilities are endless…
Man, you know in the spirit of witnesses, why not do a church wide documentary on witnesses to 3 nephite miracles? Seriously, there were 2 “confirmed” miracle sightings from my stake as a young man. Including my YM president who broke his back while skiing, and was visited by 3 men in the woods while laying there freezing. They blessed him and when the ski patrol finally found him, his back was healed and he was skiing the next day. True story. That’s just one of probably tens of thousands of witnesses to the Book of Mormon right there with just one motif.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 am
Seriously, there were 2 “confirmed” miracle sightings from my stake as a young man. Including my YM president who broke his back while skiing, and was visited by 3 men in the woods while laying there freezing. They blessed him and when the ski patrol finally found him, his back was healed and he was skiing the next day. True story. That’s just one of probably tens of thousands of witnesses to the Book of Mormon right there with just one motif.
Didn't these three fill in for some injured linebackers during the Holiday Bowl against Michigan?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:20 am
Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 am
Seriously, there were 2 “confirmed” miracle sightings from my stake as a young man. Including my YM president who broke his back while skiing, and was visited by 3 men in the woods while laying there freezing. They blessed him and when the ski patrol finally found him, his back was healed and he was skiing the next day. True story. That’s just one of probably tens of thousands of witnesses to the Book of Mormon right there with just one motif.
Didn't these three fill in for some injured linebackers during the Holiday Bowl against Michigan?
I'm led to believe they took gold in Tokyo for the Key Finding relay race...
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor Scratch wrote:But will they be willing to throw yet more money at yet another project?
I suppose this is the main question, because if they are, then I think they should continue to be made, no matter the outcome. While it may be true that the executive producers weren't paid, didn't they all fly out to New York and stay in hotels a couple of times for the film shooting? Basically, free travel right? Not only that, but no matter how many sky miles and hotel credits, one needs a source of replenishment.