This Week's FAIR Conference: The Most Important in DCP's Life?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: This Week's FAIR Conference: The Most Important in DCP's Life?

Post by drumdude »

Every once in a while you get a rare glimpse into what apologists really stay up at night thinking about.

This view into John Gee’s head is just wonderful.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:27 am
Can someone please take a look at the 28:10 mark in the video and explain to me what in the hell is going on?

This can’t be real. This can’t be what mopology has finally come to. This has to be a parody?
To further distinguish themselves from the Maxwell Institute, the Interpreter Foundation will now be advocating for Lifetime Virginity™. Dr. Gee will spearhead this effort.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

What a T.R.A.I.N.W.R.E.C.K. and I thought his Egyptology was horrific.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

A few comments:

First, I am puzzled that Dr. Gee did not mention the name of the scholar whose article he is criticizing. (A simple web search will turn up the scholar's article.) Dr. Gee's decision to refer to the scholar as a "novice apologist" is bizarre.

Second, I regret that Dr. Gee did not address the controversy surrounding his book, Saving Faith. He notes that he hopes to produce a second edition, but he does not mention that BYU's Religious Studies Center pulled his book one year ago.
Last edited by Tom on Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:02 pm
What a T.R.A.I.N.W.R.E.C.K. and I thought his Egyptology was horrific.
Years ago an area seventy said "The one true church thing has been the hardest sell". John Gee has now statistically showed that believing in a one true church will almost guarantee you believe in demons. And believe sex is sacred. And experience more miracles.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Believing in the One True Church will wax your car, fix your marriage, and send your kids to college! It also makes an excellent floor wax and is part of a complete breakfast.

Order today for the low low price of 10% of your gross income for the rest of your life! If you order in the next 10 minutes, we'll add cleaning restrooms in for no additional cost!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:36 pm
Believing in the One True Church will wax your car, fix your marriage, and send your kids to college! It also makes an excellent floor wax and is part of a complete breakfast.

Order today for the low low price of 10% of your gross income for the rest of your life! If you order in the next 10 minutes, we'll add cleaning restrooms in for no additional cost!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Well, Dan is clearly the better public speaker between himself and Gee.

I only caught arguments 9 and 10.

Whatever gifts Gee might have that got him through an Egyptology Phd program, they are stifled by his obsession with winning against critics whom he can't refute.

Argument 9 is supremely stupid. People who don't like Chinese food will readily admit that it's not a matter of objective truth that Chinese food is good. They like it; others don't. There is a vast difference between that, and saying the Church is false. Sure, we can admit that we could be wrong, but that isn't the same thing as admitting it could be true for other people. Gee really sucks at constructing an argument.

Argument 10 is -- wtf? I assume I missed a lot of context because it sounded to me like he was saying that just because his arguments, 1-9 totally suck, that we can't try to do better.

What a loser.

I'll bet he doesn't even know that the name of the king is in Facs. # 3?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:52 pm
Well, Dan is clearly the better public speaker between himself and Gee.

I only caught arguments 9 and 10.

Whatever gifts Gee might have that got him through an Egyptology Phd program, they are stifled by his obsession with winning against critics whom he can't refute.

Argument 9 is supremely stupid. People who don't like Chinese food will readily admit that it's not a matter of objective truth that Chinese food is good. They like it; others don't. There is a vast difference between that, and saying the Church is false. Sure, we can admit that we could be wrong, but that isn't the same thing as admitting it could be true for other people. Gee really sucks at constructing an argument.

Argument 10 is -- wtf? I assume I missed a lot of context because it sounded to me like he was saying that just because his arguments, 1-9 totally suck, that we can't try to do better.

What a loser.

I'll bet he doesn't even know that the name of the king is in Facs. # 3?
Shulem, is that you in disguise? Shulem? :D