The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Spurven Ten Sing
_Emeritus

Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.

Post by _Spurven Ten Sing »

I think Selek is gay: http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/579 ... 1209127908

Libs writes "Would you please, please do me a favor and listen to the last podcast (at least, the pertinent parts)...and please try to put yourself in this person's shoes...for even just a minute."

Selek foams "What makes you think that I haven't been in his shoes? Is it simply that I refuse to endorse his conclusions and self-justifications (and yours)?"
"The best website in prehistory." -Paid Actor www.cavemandiaries.com
_The Mighty Builder
_Emeritus

Post by _The Mighty Builder »

You don't know that, Nobody knows for sure, You weren't there.
_Stormy Waters

Post by _Stormy Waters »

The Nehor wrote:I think the feeling of possessiveness, even of a romantic partner, comes down to jealousy and fear and a feeling of inferiority for not being enough. This was something our polygamous ancestors tried (with varying degrees of success) to overcome. Imagine, instead that you are told by God Himself that your spouse will be happier if they are shared. You'd find yourself ripped in half. Your desire for their happiness and your jealousy/feelings of inadequacy/possessiveness masquerading as love would war it out. Which is the better emotion to follow? The former comes from heaven, the latter comes from our animal nature.

Nehor explains why we need to overcome our selfish desire for monogamy.
The whole thread becomes more bizarre when you realize it comes from members of a church dedicated to the defense of marriage as 'a man and a woman'.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

News from the psych ward. I wonder what would happen if they had a lock-down, and were passing out needed meds?
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

MCB wrote:News from the psych ward. I wonder what would happen if they had a lock-down, and were passing out needed meds?

For some reason, that brought Nurse Ratched to mind. We all know how that ends. :eek:
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_3sheets2thewind
_Emeritus

Post by _3sheets2thewind »

are images not allowed in the quote thread?
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

For some reason, that brought Nurse Ratched to mind. We all know how that ends.
I had to take a quick review. Definitely an interesting analogy. :lol: & :sad:
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_3sheets2thewind
_Emeritus

Post by _3sheets2thewind »

Hestia

Seasoned Member: Separates Light & Dark
Moderators
PipPipPip
733 posts

Posted A day ago
This whole thread seems to be based on speculation and innuendo with the worst possible interpretation. Closing.
_sethpayne
_Emeritus

Post by _sethpayne »

William Schryver commenting on Richard Bushman's RSR:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/58006-…-he-did-go-about-secretly-…-seeking-to-destroy-the-church-…/page__st__360#entry1209132456

By and large, I thought Rough Stone Rolling was a satisfactory biography of Joseph Smith.  That said, I am of the opinion that, in many cases--and unnecessarily so--Bushman pandered to the critics of the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Church.  Or, if he was not intentionally pandering to the critics, he holds to some views of Joseph Smith that I believe to be manifestly false, and he incorrectly interprets some events in Joseph Smith's history, such that Rough Stone Rolling can definitely be a faith-eroding book in the hands of those whose knowledge and understanding of LDS Church history is deficient in certain respects.

That Rough Stone Rolling is considered by many to be, at this date, the "definitive" biography of Joseph Smith is, in my judgment, more a commentary on the mediocrity of its competitors than it is a valid assessment of the relative quality of the work itself.

I would like to point out that Richard Bushman is a Harvard-educated historian who has dedicated large portions of his career to studying the life of Joseph Smith. Bushman was a department chair at the University of Delaware, and has taught at BYU and is an emeritus professor at Columbia, who along with his lovely wife Claudia, taught a class on contemporary Mormonism at Columbia/UTS this past semester. Bushman has published dozens of of peer-reviewed articles and several books from highly-respected academic presses.

Just sayin' .....
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Wow, I didn't know you saved Will's descriptor of me on your sig. Been a while since I was attacked by Will.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.