Ancient Italy: The true Book of Mormon location

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Ancient Italy: The true Book of Mormon location

Post by _Kishkumen »

Darth J-

Why on earth have you not submitted this material to EJJS? I am constantly on the look out for solid work on the Book of Mormon. Your work needs to be published. Your Etruscan/Jaredite connection is especially strong, in my opinion. And, hello, the Etruscans used gold plates for writing! Bravo, Darth. Would you mind editing and submitting your work for publication in EJJS? You have a bright career in this field ahead of you.

All best,

Reverend Severus M. Kishkumen
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Darth J,

I fear there are a couple of major problems with your theory. The first one is the lack of evidence of major, regional destruction prior to Christ's visitation to the people. The second one is lack of any publication of Christ's heavenly visitation. Are suggesting that these two key events were exaggerated in the written word?

Zee.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

Pompeii and Herculaneum postdate Jesus' death, but close enough to tango.

Darth's theory really emphasizes the European ideas present in the Book of Mormon. The nature of the book is egregiously European, which the Italian theory illustrates.
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

MCB wrote:Pompeii and Herculaneum postdate Jesus' death, but close enough to tango.

Darth's theory really emphasizes the European ideas present in the Book of Mormon. The nature of the book is egregiously European, which the Italian theory illustrates.

I agree the theory is a good one and illustrates that point (European connection) very well.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

MCB wrote:Pompeii and Herculaneum postdate Jesus' death, but close enough to tango.

I think so. And remember that chronological expressions in the scriptures can't be read too literally, not to mention the possibility of a "loose translation" in the pertinent passages.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Calculus Crusader
_Emeritus

Post by _Calculus Crusader »

Kishkumen wrote:

I think so. And remember that chronological expressions in the scriptures can't be read too literally, not to mention the possibility of a "loose translation" in the pertinent passages.

Yes, Joseph Smith's translation of the Book of Mormon is "richly anaphoric."
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei

(I lost access to my Milesius account, so I had to retrieve this one from the mothballs.)
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

Hmmmnnn. That vagueness is what makes the Book of Mormon so subject to individual interpretation, according to the cultural background of the reader.

I really enjoy utterances that the reader can interpret in several different ways. How they interpret them gives me some measure of the person, whether they are people who always want to believe the the best, or worst, of another, for example.
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

_Calculus Crusader
_Emeritus

Post by _Calculus Crusader »

MCB wrote:Hmmmnnn. That vagueness is what makes the Book of Mormon so subject to individual interpretation, according to the cultural background of the reader.

I really enjoy utterances that the reader can interpret in several different ways. How they interpret them gives me some measure of the person, whether they are people who always want to believe the the best, or worst, of another, for example.

Ah, but you can't interpret it; that's the Maxwell Institute's job!
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei

(I lost access to my Milesius account, so I had to retrieve this one from the mothballs.)
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

<Grins.> If anyone who chooses to wade through its vagueness and "it came to pass-es" doesn't have the right to interpret it, then the Maxwell Institute has promoted itself to the position of gods. Image
Huckelberry said:

_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

MCB wrote:
<Grins.> If anyone who chooses to wade through its vagueness and "it came to pass-es" doesn't have the right to interpret it, then the Maxwell Institute has promoted itself to the position of gods.

A bit of an aside: it's not the MI's job to interpret scripture. That's the task for the GA's. MI's job is to translate really old Arabic texts. And we can't extrapolate their chief's favorite hobby onto the rest of them.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.