Ancient Italy: The true Book of Mormon location

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Re: Ancient Italy: The true Book of Mormon location

Post by _Tator »

The location of the Book of Mormon is in the largest nation in the universe, the imagination.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Physics Guy wrote:Also many of the dudes appear to be lobbing arrows over a wall at enemies they can't see while that one guy in the red cape stands up there trying to get shot. Does the Book of Mormon by any chance record these people as losing this battle?

You realize that that's a painting of Samuel the Lamanite preaching to the Nephites--and the Nephites attempting to kill him as he does so--and not a painting of an actual battle, right?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

SteelHead wrote:There is a guy over on the mad board who continually posits a Malay peninsula setting. Much better fit than Central America - culture had metal working and horses.

I've tried to follow the mad board threads on this, but logic is just crazy. I understand the motivation though. American continent theory has too much to overcome. Linguistics problems, no match for any flora fauna, no archaeology support, and the DNA issues.

The problem with Malay or Italy is that it's a hella cold swim to get the plates to upstate NY.
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

I recognized that Friberg's picture had to be a depiction of the famous Book of Mormon event with the guy on a wall preaching. I was fuzzy on the details of that event, though. Besides not knowing the guy's name I was unclear on which direction he was supposed to be facing and how he was supposed to have gotten up on top of such a high wall. I thought it looked as though he was facing outwards and I figured he had gotten up there by climbing the stairs. But I guess instead he's facing inwards, preaching at the guys in the city who are trying to shoot him with arrows. How he made it to the top of the wall from outside is a puzzle.

From the fact that their wall allows a rando outsider to hop right up onto it, and that they can't seem to hit that guy from short range, I still don't think these city archers are heading for military success.

And their arms are still weird.
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

The largest annual physics conference in the world is the March Meeting of the American Physical Society. By an unusual but longstanding tradition it has zero standards for conference presentations. Anybody who submits an abstract—and pays their conference fee—can present their work, whatever it is. Formerly everyone could give a ten-minute talk, which was and is the usual length for all but keynote addresses, but even now you can always present a poster, and the poster sessions are an important part of the meeting.

No guarantees are offered about scheduling, however. The practice is to lump all the crackpot presentations together in one session or one corner of a poster hall, so that nobody will have to deal with any crackpots unless they choose. Some people like to go there and listen respectfully just to get a smile, especially because by another unusual tradition for American academic conferences the APS poster sessions include free beer. Towards the end of the session visiting the crackpots sometimes seems like a good idea.

Perhaps the FairMormon Conference could consider a similar policy. It only requires that the proportion of crackpots among the attendees be very small, and that the serious researchers can easily distinguish themselves from the crackpots.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Philo Sofee wrote:So we have North America, Central American, South America, and Italy, and the Ancient Near East, and I have yet another location that might be plausible about where the Book of Mormon events took place. In Joseph Smith's head. And the cool thing is the evidence for this is the strongest of all. We have no physical evidence of anything in the Book of Mormon that can uniquely be called Lamanite, Nephite, Mulekite, or Jaredite. That is evidence itself that the proper location of the events that happened is inside Joseph's head.

I think you are taking the easy way out by saying Joseph Smith made it up. I am working on a model that I think will solve all the historicity problems. Using science and reasoning, like our good Brother Robert Smith always does over at MD&D (just ask him), I deduced that the only viable model is on the microscopic level. Think microscopic Nephites and Lamanites. When they crossed the sea, God must have caused a great shrinkage to happen and not just the George Costanza kind (sickos). So, the nephites and lamanites lived, fought, and died in a microscopic world somewhere in the heart of the Yucatan peninsula (give some points to our apologist brethren). Naturally, all the evidence for them disappeared because being microscopic means that it is easy for their remains to be consumed by the various microbes that live in the Yucatan. This explains the total lack of DNA evidence and the total lack of anything that would answer Dr. Jenkins' questions. Yes, I know it sounds crazy but that is what society always says about great discoveries that rock the establishment. Sure, making the claim that Joseph Smith invented the whole thing seems like the better conclusion, but faith needs to be preserved. Yes, microscopic nephites is the future.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen