Are there any believers left to debate "belief".

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Pa Pa
_Emeritus

Are there any believers left to debate "belief".

Post by _Pa Pa »

Are there any believers left to debate "belief". Looking here and elsewhere is there anyone left in the "Apologetics world", which truly have faith. It seems everyone has chosen sides, and "scholars"…our side says "X"…our side said "Y". Most are "shade tree scholars" in the field in which they debate. Has it come to the point that we are left with only Scribes and Pharisees as in Christ's day, each pointing (or to use a scriptural term) "leaning to their own understanding".

Where do these who have faith go? Those who appreciate correct information, but are no smug enough to think they have all the answers.

It is beginning to seem that all anyone has faith in is their debating skills…we don't and will never know have all the answers. To do so would require that we know all the questions.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Are there any believers left to debate "belief".

Post by _harmony »

Pa Pa wrote:Are there any believers left to debate "belief". Looking here and elsewhere is there anyone left in the "Apologetics world", which truly have faith. It seems everyone has chosen sides, and "scholars"…our side says "X"…our side said "Y". Most are "shade tree scholars" in the field in which they debate. Has it come to the point that we are left with only Scribes and Pharisees as in Christ's day, each pointing (or to use a scriptural term) "leaning to their own understanding".

Where do these who have faith go? Those who appreciate correct information, but are no smug enough to think they have all the answers.

It is beginning to seem that all anyone has faith in is their debating skills…we don't and will never know have all the answers. To do so would require that we know all the questions.

Faith and belief are not subjects for debate, only for living. And to find faith and belief, you have to look in the chapels. There's very little of either around here, and even less on MAD. I think living in Mormonism's culture tends to kill the pure sweet faith and belief in God that other less regimented religions foster. More's the pity.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Pa Pa
_Emeritus

Post by _Pa Pa »

harmony wrote:
Pa Pa wrote:Are there any believers left to debate "belief". Looking here and elsewhere is there anyone left in the "Apologetics world", which truly have faith. It seems everyone has chosen sides, and "scholars"…our side says "X"…our side said "Y". Most are "shade tree scholars" in the field in which they debate. Has it come to the point that we are left with only Scribes and Pharisees as in Christ's day, each pointing (or to use a scriptural term) "leaning to their own understanding".

Faith and belief are not subjects for debate, only for living. And to find faith and belief, you have to look in the chapels. There's very little of either around here, and even less on MAD. I think living in Mormonism's culture tends to kill the pure sweet faith and belief in God that other less regimented religions foster. More's the pity.

Then we have only ourselves to blame. Having lived in both...I disagee with your findings.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hey Pa Pa,

Pa Pa wrote:

Well... I KNOW I don't have all the answers. In fact, one of the problems I had with the LDS church is that they claim to have them all, when IMHO, it is impossible to grasp The Mysteries. ;-) Asserting some unknowable claim does not truth make.

There is nothing wrong, again in my opinion, to acknowledge that we just don't know how everything works; we can't comprehend what is beyond the human ability to know. So what? What difference does it make in how we live if something or another happened before we got here? And, who cares whose God is the most powerful? Ya know? (smile)

What is silly is to pretend to know, or worse, to just make up stuff.

In terms of faith? Why is faith a good thing? Faith in what? It seems to me, the only advocates of faith are those who want people to have faith in their particular belief system or "truth."

Most LDS don't want people to have faith in, say Scientology, Shakers probably don't want anyone to have faith in Allah, Baptists most likely don't want anyone to have faith in the Zeus.

Can agnostics have faith in existence? The Source? Life?

:-)

~td~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Pa Pa wrote:
harmony wrote:Faith and belief are not subjects for debate, only for living. And to find faith and belief, you have to look in the chapels. There's very little of either around here, and even less on MAD. I think living in Mormonism's culture tends to kill the pure sweet faith and belief in God that other less regimented religions foster. More's the pity.

Then we have only ourselves to blame. Having lived in both...I disagee with your findings.

I've also lived in both (I'm a convert, in case you didn't know that). And I stand by my words.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_John Larsen
_Emeritus

Post by _John Larsen »

harmony wrote:

Pa Pa,

I hope things have taken an up turn for you lately.

We debate propositions. Simply form the question into a proposition and we can debate it.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Pa Pa the ward building just called and was wondering where you are.

Run! Don't walk back to the comfy confines of the chapel walls.

Stop thinking about LDS theology and go back to just feeling it.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Whoknows
_Emeritus

Post by _Whoknows »

I think what you want is a discussion upon the finer points of doctrine and to come and reason together on that which tends to uplift. Such a community would have to leave their ego at the door.
This would be a living dialogue and not a dead form. Let me know when anything close to this gets going.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Whoknows wrote:

I think what you want is a discussion upon the finer points of doctrine and to come and reason together on that which tends to uplift. Such a community would have to leave their ego at the door.
This would be a living dialogue and not a dead form. Let me know when anything close to this gets going.
Take your new freind Pa Pa and head over to the Nauvoo.com board.

Only faith promoting and tithing extracting discussions are allowed.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

It sounds like Mormon Expressions examination of the King Follet Discourse : )
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato