Shulem Cracks the Book of Ether! Jaredite Expedition & Geography is Revealed!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Shulem Cracks the Book of Ether! Jaredite Expedition & Geography is Revealed!

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:38 pm
Where did Lehi land again? I don’t have the energy to c+f 28 pages.

- Doc
Pretty sure Shulem would say the Delmarva Penninsula, after a final resupply in Portugal.

If sailing from the Pacific for the Lehites, Novato via the San Francisco bay would make for a scenic landing. The Lehite females (assuming they brought them) would all want to be California girls.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Shulem Cracks the Book of Ether! Jaredite Expedition & Geography is Revealed!

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:59 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
Pretty sure Shulem would say the Delmarva Penninsula, after a final resupply in Portugal.

If sailing from the Pacific for the Lehites, Novato via the San Francisco bay would make for a scenic landing. The Lehite females (assuming they brought them) would all want to be California girls.
That’s right. Thanks for the reminder.

Shulem,

Did Lehi and co. sail up the Susquehanna river by Havre de Grace? Or did they just sit tight in the peninsula?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

On the southern tip of the peninsula of Delmarva also known as the state of Virginia.

Last edited by Shulem on Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:08 pm
Shulem,

Did Lehi and co. sail up the Susquehanna river by Havre de Grace? Or did they just sit tight in the peninsula?

They landed on the far southern tip of Delmarva and planted their seeds and began to colonize. Shortly thereafter, migrations took place further north into the peninsula. The Book of Mormon provides the details and explains the contours of the land and the relationship to the seas and the cardinal directions.

Later, there were migrations up the rivers using ships.

The Land of Nephi *IS* the Delmarva peninsula.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:15 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:08 pm
Shulem,

They landed on the far southern tip of Delmarva and planted their seeds and began to colonize. Shortly thereafter, migrations took place further north into the peninsula. The Book of Mormon provides the details and explains the contours of the land and the relationship to the seas and the cardinal directions.

Later, there were migrations up the rivers using ships.

The Land of Nephi *IS* the Delmarva peninsula.
So, Joseph Smith took the place names from his geographic area, but used the geographic setting of the Late War to craft the Book of Mormon narrative. Am I tracking your theory correctly?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:46 pm
So, Joseph Smith took the place names from his geographic area, but used the geographic setting of the Late War to craft the Book of Mormon narrative. Am I tracking your theory correctly?

That's pretty much the gist of it; Yep. I touched on that in the thread that you're too tired to read. I hope you get your strength and read that thread because it's a bloody revelation!

Just saying.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:50 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:46 pm

That's pretty much the gist of it; Yep. I touched on that in the thread that you're too tired to read. I hope you get your strength and read that thread because it's a bloody revelation!

Just saying.
Shulem I read and recommend your thread on the land of Nephi and associates. However I missed any connection to the Late War. I understood it as Joseph using a Map of the area and the map of the area fits the Book of Mormon narrative better than other locations which have been theorized.

I looked up Late War and found online article you and other folks here helped create. It had interesting linking obsevations suggesting an significant influence of that book on the Book of Mormon. I saw nothing about geography.I am not remembering details of the geography of the war of 1812. Washington DC was involved and located not a large distance from the pennisula in question.

I was not thinking about the Late War when I read your thread so may have just forgotten some specifics you included.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:17 pm
I was not thinking about the Late War when I read your thread so may have just forgotten some specifics you included.

I'm glad you popped in and clarification is needed on this point on my part. It's not so much or just geography of Late War that I find connections with the Book of Mormon but the ideas in and of themselves which Smith fed on to create his own story. I think he gleaned many things from Late War to help him with his novel. I barely mentioned Late War in the other thread:

Shulem wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:08 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:39 pm
GOOD eye Shulem! Yeah, let 'em tap dance, yer gonna waltz right over them!

Thank you and let me show you more of that eye if you will. Note the photo below which I pasted in an earlier post. It's an 18th century military tract map showing various townships east of Cumorah and the Smith family farm. Young Joseph may have seen this map at some point in his life which may have instilled the idea in his mind that a battleground during the revolutionary war could be likened into a battleground setting for the ancient Americans. Note that classic Greek and Roman names are used in the map. This along with the book "Late War" may have well influenced young Joseph! It's plausible! he he <grin>

Right click on the map and select "Open image in new tab", then you can click the magnifying cursor and view the map in detail.

Shulem
God

Re: Across the Mediterranean

Post by Shulem »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:58 am
Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:12 pm
There at the mouth of the ocean is Spain to the north and Africa to the south in which Lehi would later sail past on his way to the promised land.
That's incorrect. According to the geography described in the Book of Mormon, Lehi's party departed into the Arabian Sea, not the Mediterranean Sea.

Shades,

You know, I feel to say that I'm a bit annoyed with you for not following up and owning up for your lack of reading comprehension or inability to follow along. After explaining or rebutting the above there are nothing but crickets from you. Chirp, chirp!!

Hence, I'm annoyed with your lack of concern in showing regard or owning up to your own deficiency in this matter.

Just saying.

Shulem
Moksha
God

Re: Across the Mediterranean

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:51 am
Hence, I'm annoyed with your lack of concern in showing regard or owning up to your own deficiency in this matter.

Just saying.

Shulem
In fairness to Shades, he has a pretty full plate. When friends tell me to zip up, they do it with a friendly point and smile.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace