Shulem Cracks the Book of Ether! Jaredite Expedition & Geography is Revealed!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Shulem Cracks the Book of Ether! Jaredite Expedition & Geography is Revealed!

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:20 pm
NorthboundZax wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:47 pm
Bummer. The idea of closed vessels lit by their 100 watt rocks going down the St. Lawrence with a bunch of angry bees was a fun image.

Albany?
Getting past Niagra would require some extra oomph on the part of the barge propulsion system. Do all the likely Jaredite locations involve an east coast Atlantic landing?

All in good time, all in good time. But first, they have to navigate the Mediterranean Sea on open barges where at the end they can prepare for the long voyage across the great deep in special barges to be submerged into water and made for that very purpose.

I'm afraid, however, there will be no stops at Antarctica to pick any penguins up. Everyone knows that penguins are evil!

:lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Shulem Cracks the Book of Ether! Jaredite Expedition & Geography is Revealed!

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:36 pm
Moksha wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:20 pm

Getting past Niagra would require some extra oomph on the part of the barge propulsion system. Do all the likely Jaredite locations involve an east coast Atlantic landing?

All in good time, all in good time. But first, they have to navigate the Mediterranean Sea on open barges where at the end they can prepare for the long voyage across the great deep in special barges to be submerged into water and made for that very purpose.

I'm afraid, however, there will be no stops at Antarctica to pick any penguins up. Everyone knows that penguins are evil!

:lol:
Well, for the most part, but we have in our midst one of the Three Nephite penguins amongst us who is a righteous one, he might even have achieved Moksha!
Shulem
God

Across the Mediterranean

Post by Shulem »

And so, the Jaredites traversed and skirted their way across the long course of the great Mediterranean, sailing on open barges, from sea east all the way westward until they reached the final strait that leads past the famous Rock of Gibraltar and to the open sea, the great Atlantic ocean. There at the mouth of the ocean is Spain to the north and Africa to the south in which Lehi would later sail past on his way to the promised land. But now we have the much earlier Jaredites who would settle the Spanish coast for four years in preparation of building eight barges that would be submerged and float freely while crossing the Atlantic. Interesting to note that this part of Spain is the same place where Christopher Columbus set sail on his four voyages. But instead of Columbus being moved upon by the Spirit of God to cross the many waters to discover a new land we now have the Jaredites! This is not a coincidence. Joseph Smith is looking at the map and telling his story using backgrounds from other accounts to help produce his story.

Ether 2:13 wrote:And now I proceed with my record; for behold, it came to pass that the Lord did bring Jared and his brethren forth even to that great sea which divideth the lands. And as they came to the sea they pitched their tents; and they called the name of the place Moriancumer; and they dwelt in tents, and dwelt in tents upon the seashore for the space of four years.

1815 Thomson Map of Spain and Portugal

Shulem
God

The Final Leg

Post by Shulem »

Dear Readers,

I've decided to cut to the chase rather than drag things out and continue the discussion, which I might add, is not much of a discussion seeing it's me doing almost all the talking which is fine by me. I'm not complaining about that. It's been my sincere appreciation and honor to channel what I think was the mind of Joseph Smith when he conceived his plan and story in telling the Book of Mormon to his scribes who dutifully wrote what he dictated.

If you have not read this thread, I encourage you to do so and connect the dots with me as the Jaredites leave their native homeland and camp or rather settle on the southern coast of Spain in preparing for their voyage across the great deep. I've decided not to get into details of that journey but keep this thread simple and conclude with the final leg of the journey.

Ether 6 wrote: 11 And thus they were driven forth, three hundred and forty and four days upon the water.

• they boarded their vessels or barges, and set forth into the sea
  • wind blow upon the face of the waters, towards the promised land; and thus they were tossed upon the waves of the sea before the wind
  • And it came to pass that they were many times buried in the depths of the sea
  • their vessels being tight like unto a dish, and also they were tight like unto the ark of Noah; therefore when they were encompassed about by many waters
  • And it came to pass that the wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land while they were upon the waters
  • they were driven forth; and no monster of the sea could break them, neither whale that could mar them
  • And they did land upon the shore of the promised land

TO BE CONTINUED
Shulem
God

Re: The Final Leg

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:12 pm
TO BE CONTINUED

And so, we reach the end of the journey and herein must find the end.

The Jaredite barges were likened to the Mayflower on an expedition to find a new life in a promised land where government and religious freedom could be established.

The Jaredites were likened to the Pilgrims who first settled upon the promised land and established a great nation.

The Jaredites (in Joseph Smith's mind) landed on Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts. There they founded their civilization and spread across the land to the west, north, and south.

I hope that helps.

THE END
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

So if I'm reading this right, Shulem, you think Joseph had a specific point in mind and was not simply spouting off random places which were generic and vague enough to be plausible to his 19th century audience? Why would he bother picking a specific place if he was making it all up?
NorthboundZax
Nursery

Post by NorthboundZax »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:12 pm
Ether 6 wrote: 11 And thus they were driven forth, three hundred and forty and four days upon the water.
  • And it came to pass that the wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land while they were upon the waters
344 days for non-stop winds towards the promised land to get there? 4500miles from Gibraltar to Plymouth in 344 days gives an average of about a half a mile per hour. Whatever angel was in charge of winds never ceasing to blow towards the promised land clearly didn't have their heart in it.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:51 pm
So if I'm reading this right, Shulem, you think Joseph had a specific point in mind and was not simply spouting off random places which were generic and vague enough to be plausible to his 19th century audience? Why would he bother picking a specific place if he was making it all up?

Joseph Smith had a brilliant mind and was able to collect and sort information from other sources and pull it into his own narrative in an amazing way. I have a thread up in the Celestial Forum entitled 600 Years in The Book of Mormon where I demonstrate that Smith was methodical in how he kept his multi-faceted stories together and was able to manage an incredible amount of information within a timeline that requires extreme concentration and careful calculation.

Smith already had ideas formulated in his mind about the general outline of the Book of Mormon before he dictated his first words to Martin Harris. He knew he would cover the histories of two peoples who would come to America -- the Nephites and the Jaredites. He knew beforehand of their origins and with the aid of the atlas was able to visualize their journeys to the New World via treks and shipping. It thrilled Smith to be able to incorporate elements of American freedom into his stories and give his book a marvelous sense of patriotism coupled with biblical Christianity. The landing of Lehi at Delmarva and the Jaredites at Plymouth make for perfect settings in which Smith built his story on a landscape wherein all things would end in Smith's own backyard at the hill Cumorah.

Truly, Joseph Smith has visited Discuss Mormonism (through me) and his spirit lives on. Laugh it up all you want, folks; but if you will just think about it and come to terms that Smith imagined them leaving the old world and he also imagined them arriving. To him it was not a mystery! He kept the geography privately to himself and let the book work its will in the minds of his people.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Shulem wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:25 am
drumdude wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:51 pm

Joseph Smith had a brilliant mind and was able to collect and sort information from other sources and pull it into his own narrative in an amazing way. I have a thread up in the Celestial Forum entitled 600 Years in The Book of Mormon where I demonstrate that Smith was methodical in how he kept his multi-faceted stories together and was able to manage an incredible amount of information within a timeline that requires extreme concentration and careful calculation.

Smith already had ideas formulated in his mind about the general outline of the Book of Mormon before he dictated his first words to Martin Harris. He knew he would cover the histories of two peoples who would come to America -- the Nephites and the Jaredites. He knew beforehand of their origins and with the aid of the atlas was able to visualize their journeys to the New World via treks and shipping. It thrilled Smith to be able to incorporate elements of American freedom into his stories and give his book a marvelous sense of patriotism coupled with biblical Christianity. The landing of Lehi at Delmarva and the Jaredites at Plymouth make for perfect settings in which Smith built his story on a landscape wherein all things would end in Smith's own backyard at the hill Cumorah.

Truly, Joseph Smith has visited Discuss Mormonism (through me) and his spirit lives on. Laugh it up all you want, folks; but if you will just think about it and come to terms that Smith imagined them leaving the old world and he also imagined them arriving. To him it was not a mystery! He kept the geography privately to himself and let the book work its will in the minds of his people.
If true, it's exactly like a 8 year old boy's imagination. And Joe never grew up to the point where he realized what was in his imagination wasn't real.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:45 pm
The Jaredite barges were likened to the Mayflower on an expedition to find a new life in a promised land where government and religious freedom could be established.
I hope that helps.
THE END
I thought they were like flying saucers with openings at the top and bottom covered by an invisible force field.

Hagoth at NOM thought they were more like Eirie Canal barges. What is more likely?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace