Cassius Review of Books: "The Church and the Negro"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Re: Cassius Review of Books: "The Church and the Negro"

Post by _Blixa »

EAllusion wrote:That reminds me.

Gad -

I recall that you were looking for an online location of Alvin R. Dyer's wonderfully racist mission conference talk.

Here you go:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13500724/For-What-Purpose

Corporate blood-line fascism.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Thanks EA. When I was a TBM, I thoroughly believed in this talk.

As did everyone I ever met who read it.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Regarding the discussion of Elijah Abel's case in The Church and the Negro, here is a photograph of Elijah Abel:

_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I am of the opinion that it is historical truths like these that can define the apologist. What does one do with this kind of knowledge? Does one, knowing of such things, immediately seek to excuse them on the grounds that this was "not doctrine" and merely the "opinion" of these authors or speakers? Or does one own up to the fact that it was doctrinal and then express regret for this aspect of the LDS Church's past?

I think it is the part of the Mopologist to engage in semantic hair-splitting about the definitions of doctrine, etc. It takes an upright person to face the past squarely and deal with it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

The blame obviously lies with the members who actually believed what they were being taught. They could have used their free agency and rejected these racist teachings. If they feel they were duped, too bad for them. They made their own bed.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Who posted this on The Mormon Curtain?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Darth J wrote:Who posted this on The Mormon Curtain?

Probably Infymus himself, whom I have seen popping in now and then.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Kishkumen wrote:
Darth J wrote:Who posted this on The Mormon Curtain?

Probably Infymus himself, whom I have seen popping in now and then.

If that is the case, then I don't want anything by me posted on a polemical site without my permission.
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine! Not official doctrine!

Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Buffalo,

Your post hurt my eyes, but made me laugh.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."